• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What would the world do without Fe?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Don't swing off on a tangent now ... I know you have feelings; I know you were feeling annoyance, iritation and impatience with the stereotypes presented, almost to the point of finding it offensive to you personally, but it doesn't seem to me that your feelings were hurt. Were they?

Would it matter if they were? How would you have assessed that they were, if they were? You just said I was annoyed, irritated, and impatient...if you sensed that, why did you choose to respond to Oro's "explicit" tantrum and not my hypothetically simmering feelings? I'm not getting that.

Sorry, I've got more edits because I keep thinking of stuff.

I would support you as vigorously if I felt you needed it. Right here, right now, you don't.

Why don't I?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
:)

If I answer your questions further, I will potentially get myself into trouble using my intuition in a way that's not often appreciated out loud. If you want to go there, I will. But I need your explicit permission first.

-----

You're right, I could have spoken with you along the way, and it would have been a delicate task to address you without you feeling like I was trying to placate the situation. You are totally worth the time and attention necessary though.

Do you feel like you could use some advocacy in this thread?

Qre:us

Easier to calculate spoken about Puppy.

:doh:

I don't know why we must put a person's unwillingness to further engage in a thread, through such a ringer, afterwards. Esp. when they are still present in the site, but, not present in said specific thread.

Let 'em be, geez!

It just seems to feed some need for "drama" continued.....

Edit, to add for clarity: Btw, that ^ comment of mine about Puppy was with regards to EVERYONE who started to psychoanalyze her (and her emotional state of matters) after she had clearly left the thread, herself. Let the person defend themselves, otherwise, respect their absence.

Last edited:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why don't I?

cause you're asserting yourself. orobas was asserting her ideas. it felt like her self was being left behind. it sounds like you're protecting your self, yourself.

i get this problem with my best friend... sometimes i haven't realized how hurt she is herself because she's good at putting up an external wall. when i'm hurt, i open way up and express that hurt loudly. so when other people don't, sometimes i don't realize it. basically i'm so busy defending myself via opening up that i don't pay as much attention to reading her underlying feelings, which would help her. and she's so busy defending herself via closing off that she doesn't pay as much attention to asserting her underlying feelings, which would help me.

G

garbage

so, theoretically, NeFi / FiNe and FeNi / NiFe will both seek both individuality and solidarity, just in different ways. and since we all use all of the functions, we will all prize all of these to a certain degree.

regardless of theory, individuality and solidarity are what make us living beings; difference provides us with individual identity and drive and likeness provides us with cohesion for survival and collaboration. and to some extent conflict between and over the two is bound to happen because individuality and solidarity are push-pull forces both within and amongst people.

in other words... this conflict is almost unavoidable. of course, the way we handle it is, at least to some extent, under our control.

This is something that I'll have to mull over. It sounds like an expansion of the perception that both types come to the 'individuality' conclusion in their own way.

I think it might help to consider the positioning of the Fi and Fe.

I think the higher F is in one's functional preference, the more you see the tendency you've described.

Nevertheless, and I can't believe I'm going to be the one harking on this point now: it might come down to individual differences...

I do, though, think that Ts will tend to be more open to the boxing...

This is what I was afraid of. To me, the general picture ends up sounding like: "Who likes MBTI categorization? Fe users don't, and also dominant Fi users don't. But Ts do. And also anyone who uses Te. Who uses Te? Everyone does, because we all use all of the functions. But then ... .. ..."

Maybe we can cast the specific question of "Who likes MBTI categorization?" into the pile of questions such as "Which MBTI type likes fried ice cream?"

How large can and should that pile get? Time and inquiry will tell.

thank god for your post

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some stuff moved to the off topic thread, the topic is Fe: Reset!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is something that I'll have to mull over. It sounds like an expansion of the perception that both types come to the 'individuality' conclusion in their own way.

:yes: it occurred to me when i read your option C. i like both using theory and rejecting theory, being myself and belonging. all the jungian dichotomies are inherently opposed, but they work together. we're all paradoxes, i think. we just come in different flavors... lol...

Maybe we can cast the specific question of "Who likes MBTI categorization?" into the pile of questions such as "Which MBTI type likes fried ice cream?"

speaking of flavors. :sick:

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
speaking of flavors. :sick:

Don't knock fried ice cream. It's pretty nummy!

aztecas19.jpg

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Don't knock fried ice cream. It's pretty nummy!

aztecas19.jpg

huh. fair point, that does look good. i live in the southern us though, you gotta understand, the only fried ice cream that i've ever seen looks more like...

246w3k9.jpg

and comes with a fried twinkie and/or snickers!

sorry... derailing topic again... uh...

what would the world do without Fe... man, i dunno. people would be pretty oblivious to each other, i think. Fi cares at a deep level but isn't very good at interacting or choosing when to interact. no Fe also means we'd all only use Te, which would mean a lot more external explanations. that'd probably get kind of annoying after a while. we'd have a lot less social bonding. ugh and less parties! boooo.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Oooh, I feel like I'm being gently rocked to sleep. With my hand in warm water.

:)
If I answer your questions further, I will potentially get myself into trouble using my intuition in a way that's not often appreciated out loud. If you want to go there, I will. But I need your explicit permission first.

Feel free, but are you performing for an audience? Send me what you have to say through PM. I'll read and respond. If you're correct, I'll confirm and whatever motivation you have to set things right (were they amiss in the first place?) will be satisfied.

Do you feel like you could use some advocacy in this thread?
Do you think I need advocacy? This can go on forever. Whatever clues you used to piece together Oro's need for support, use that same nose of yours to find if I needed some.

But once again I ask you, if you sensed I needed support, advocacy or whatever, why did you explicitly and publicly shore up Oro and not me...or anyone else for that matter who your intuition told you needed support? How'd you pick and choose? What were the deciding factors in your mind?

ETA:
cause you're asserting yourself. orobas was asserting her ideas. it felt like her self was being left behind. it sounds like you're protecting your self, yourself.

How was I asserting myself while Oro was not? She has 26 posts in this thread (including the deleted ones...she deleted 11) and I have 18 (none deleted). She's posted way more than me and directly addressed me several times to which I responded.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How was I asserting myself while Oro was not? She has 26 posts in this thread (including the deleted ones...she deleted 11) and I have 18 (none deleted). She's posted way more than me and directly addressed me several times to which I responded.

it's not really about numbers; it's the tone of what y'all said. i went back through the whole thread and reread everything to make sure i wasn't off, and i do notice that stuff has been deleted, so maybe i haven't seen everything. but in general, this is my impression -- it seems like orobas was doing a lot of type-based interpretation, and when she declined to interpret using a different paradigm, you made a few strong statements directed at her specifically, calling her out on something negative. she refused, continuing to interpret with MBTI, and you both got frustrated.

i agree with you saying that she seemed to be reducing a lot to type, things that might be totally type-independent, and then making generalizations based off of that. not to reduce to type myself, but she and i are the same type, and i know that i can get very caught up in theory sometimes - excited about analyzing and theorizing to the point of forgetting reality and/or accidentally offending people. perhaps this is what happened to her.

so it seems that what happened in the conversation is that she got lost in analyzing to the point of making offensive blanket statements and you made strong negative statements directed at her that she found offensive. but you seemed to be more aware of what you were saying, while she seemed to be caught in a paradigm. not that that's more excusable or anything, but it seemed like you were asserting yourself personally more in defense of Fe, while she just kept talking about type and not really about herself. so it seems like she would more likely be personally offended - but that's only in forgetting that her generalizations applied to a group you are a part of.

my point is that i see and agree with aspects of both of your arguments, but this is my understanding of why it may seem like orobas is more of an underdog in the debate.

if you want my play-by-play analysis... it's here, lol...
orobas' first posts were about Ti/Fe and Fi/Te, and they seemed pretty neutral. then your first post was about Fe in depth, you were talking about people not recognizing Fe at work at a more intimate level. and i do agree with a ton of what you wrote there, but your language was more emotionally-tinged. it sounded vaguely frustrated. then you guys engaged in some other discussions, you were both pretty neutral. orobas said she thought some of your thoughts were "beautiful" and she'd get back to them later. she posted her comment about the types if there's no Fe, saying that she thinks Te/Fi and Ti/Fe seem to "result in massive communication issues." your reply included "I think people on this forum EXAGGERATE miscommunications [...] You'd think the other function pairs Se/Ni and Si/Ne would have just as much difficulty, but for some reason people with their own agendas seem to lay the blame at this." perhaps this was not your intention, but it comes off a bit as attacking her, instead of just saying her ideas are off. i think it's because your language again seemed emotionally-tinged. hers again seemed neutral.

her reply saying she thought people on forums undercover the severity of miscommunication was not overtly friendly, but it didn't seem negative either. uumlau's response to it was more forceful in nature. your response to uumlau was pretty neutral. bologna agrees with you; orobas posts counterpoint to bologna, bologna posts counterpoint to orobas, orobas posts counterpoint to bologna. all insistent but neutral. you post counterpoint to uumlau; insistent but neutral. in the same post, you reply this to orobas: "I guess you're trying to create some theory of everything in your mind using MBTI and you disregard stuff that doesn't fit." not explicitly attacking, but kind of an unfriendly assumption. i don't think her ENFJ example was necessarily miscommunication either though, just to point that out. i think her point was "she never said it, so i can interpret it any way i want", while your point was "non-literal communication, duh." and i agree with both of those things. jaguar pointed out that it seemed obv too but uumlau noted that hindsight is 20/20.

and then here is where it feels a little more explicit to me: your post saying "Then basically are saying you CANNOT COMMUNICATE with half the population. Do you understand what that means? It doesn't mean it's Fe users, it means IT'S YOU! Stop making it Fe, when it's you. Furthermore, stop dragging other Fi users into your underworld and blowing it up into some kind of Fe-Fi communication abyss, when it's Orobas's lack of understanding. You're making yourself the standard and everyone else the exception." the thing is, she never actually said it was Fe, she said Fe-Fi difference. there's nowhere she says that it's only Fe users that are the problem. she just says Fe-Fi has different communication styles. to me, it never came out as blaming Fe any more than Fi, just saying she doesn't understand the other side. her example did make Fe sound more "difficult", but it wasn't blaming Fe. then you talk about your "puny empathy skills" (i take it that is sarcastic). orobas did make a lot of type-related assumptions. the way i understand it, she was applying typology theory. i agree that it may have been overdone, and personal difference not accounted for enough. but the way you stated that came off more as aimed at her, not her idea, and in a defensive way. then you got more neutral in discussion.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Oooh, I feel like I'm being gently rocked to sleep. With my hand in warm water.

I believe Mythbusters disproved that one.

Feel free, but are you performing for an audience? Send me what you have to say through PM. I'll read and respond. If you're correct, I'll confirm and whatever motivation you have to set things right (were they amiss in the first place?) will be satisfied.

No, I am not performing for an audience. It would be incredibly authentic of me and therefore very scary if I told you everything I see and think. I don't want to send it via PM either, so I guess we'll just have to shake hands and move on from that exercise. :) EDIT: I have sent you a PM.

Do you think I need advocacy? This can go on forever. Whatever clues you used to piece together Oro's need for support, use that same nose of yours to find if I needed some.

No, I don't think you do here, in this thread, and I said as much already. I think skylights summed it up nicely. I just wanted to ask in case I had missed something. I'm not above admitting I may have done so.

But once again I ask you, if you sensed I needed support, advocacy or whatever, why did you explicitly and publicly shore up Oro and not me...or anyone else for that matter who your intuition told you needed support? How'd you pick and choose? What were the deciding factors in your mind?

To reiterate, I didn't think you needed help, in this thread. How did I pick and choose? Just what I sensed from the dynamic. That doesn't mean I don't think you feel pain in your life. I feel drawn to you for totally different reasons than Oro.

protean, I admire a great deal of what you share here - feel your feelings, say what you need to. But can you see you have a role in this too? Is is hard to try to meet in the middle? Is the whole topic so annoying your patience runs thin? I know I get tired of seeing the same old cliches about Fe and Fi. They do little to help enable true insight unfortunately.

I do think there's MUCH more that was upsetting completely unrelated to you in this thread. So please don't get the impression I am holding you responsible somehow. That would absolve others and would be unfair to you. EDIT: explained in PM.

Biases: My tendency is to defend who I perceive as the underdog, so that would be a bias here. I just want to state that and make it clear.

Last edited:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
it's not really about numbers; it's the tone of what y'all said. i went back through the whole thread and reread everything to make sure i wasn't off, and i do notice that stuff has been deleted, so maybe i haven't seen everything. but in general, this is my impression -- it seems like orobas was doing a lot of type-based interpretation, and when she declined to interpret using a different paradigm, you made a few strong statements directed at her specifically, calling her out on something negative. she refused, continuing to interpret with MBTI, and you both got frustrated.

i agree with you saying that she seemed to be reducing a lot to type, things that might be totally type-independent, and then making generalizations based off of that. not to reduce to type myself, but she and i are the same type, and i know that i can get very caught up in theory sometimes - excited about analyzing and theorizing to the point of forgetting reality and/or accidentally offending people. perhaps this is what happened to her.

so it seems that what happened in the conversation is that she got lost in analyzing to the point of making offensive blanket statements and you made strong negative statements directed at her that she found offensive. but you seemed to be more aware of what you were saying, while she seemed to be caught in a paradigm. not that that's more excusable or anything, but it seemed like you were asserting yourself personally more in defense of Fe, while she just kept talking about type and not really about herself. so it seems like she would more likely be personally offended - but that's only in forgetting that her generalizations applied to a group you are a part of.

my point is that i see and agree with aspects of both of your arguments, but this is my understanding of why it may seem like orobas is more of an underdog in the debate.

if you want my play-by-play analysis... it's here, lol...
orobas' first posts were about Ti/Fe and Fi/Te, and they seemed pretty neutral. then your first post was about Fe in depth, you were talking about people not recognizing Fe at work at a more intimate level. and i do agree with a ton of what you wrote there, but your language was more emotionally-tinged. it sounded vaguely frustrated. then you guys engaged in some other discussions, you were both pretty neutral. orobas said she thought some of your thoughts were "beautiful" and she'd get back to them later. she posted her comment about the types if there's no Fe, saying that she thinks Te/Fi and Ti/Fe seem to "result in massive communication issues." your reply included "I think people on this forum EXAGGERATE miscommunications [...] You'd think the other function pairs Se/Ni and Si/Ne would have just as much difficulty, but for some reason people with their own agendas seem to lay the blame at this." perhaps this was not your intention, but it comes off a bit as attacking her, instead of just saying her ideas are off. i think it's because your language again seemed emotionally-tinged. hers again seemed neutral.

her reply saying she thought people on forums undercover the severity of miscommunication was not overtly friendly, but it didn't seem negative either. uumlau's response to it was more forceful in nature. your response to uumlau was pretty neutral. bologna agrees with you; orobas posts counterpoint to bologna, bologna posts counterpoint to orobas, orobas posts counterpoint to bologna. all insistent but neutral. you post counterpoint to uumlau; insistent but neutral. in the same post, you reply this to orobas: "I guess you're trying to create some theory of everything in your mind using MBTI and you disregard stuff that doesn't fit." not explicitly attacking, but kind of an unfriendly assumption. i don't think her ENFJ example was necessarily miscommunication either though, just to point that out. i think her point was "she never said it, so i can interpret it any way i want", while your point was "non-literal communication, duh." and i agree with both of those things. jaguar pointed out that it seemed obv too but uumlau noted that hindsight is 20/20.

and then here is where it feels a little more explicit to me: your post saying "Then basically are saying you CANNOT COMMUNICATE with half the population. Do you understand what that means? It doesn't mean it's Fe users, it means IT'S YOU! Stop making it Fe, when it's you. Furthermore, stop dragging other Fi users into your underworld and blowing it up into some kind of Fe-Fi communication abyss, when it's Orobas's lack of understanding. You're making yourself the standard and everyone else the exception." the thing is, she never actually said it was Fe, she said Fe-Fi difference. there's nowhere she says that it's only Fe users that are the problem. she just says Fe-Fi has different communication styles. to me, it never came out as blaming Fe any more than Fi, just saying she doesn't understand the other side. her example did make Fe sound more "difficult", but it wasn't blaming Fe. then you talk about your "puny empathy skills" (i take it that is sarcastic). orobas did make a lot of type-related assumptions. the way i understand it, she was applying typology theory. i agree that it may have been overdone, and personal difference not accounted for enough. but the way you stated that came off more as aimed at her, not her idea, and in a defensive way. then you got more neutral in discussion.

The kicker is no matter how you look at it Fe-Fi difference really is blaming Fe as its one side of the problem. Lets remove Fi blame and Fe blame and put things on a sliding scale where Fi is on one side and Fe is on the other. Successful communication is when that whole scale can be covered from left to right. Basically Fe will leave its side, Fi will leave its side and they will meet somewhere inbetween covering the entire communication gap. What if Fi hits a sticking point and Fe takes it upon themselves to bridge that extra gap in regards to communication. Say Fi made it 25% and Fe went the 50% and then the extra 25%. At this point Fi will feel a gap because of the sticking point. To say that its because of the difference and then to recognize it as a communication issue is like shooting Fe in the foot. Be prepared to face the entire gap(though I get the impression that Fe just steps back to 50% and will force Fi to go the extra 25%.)

Just one angle in regards to the communication isse. I face the same problem with Te.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know why he even bothers. It's not like I'm going to see it.

I thought that NTP was all about what cant be seen. You can extrapolate all this other stuff to come up with theories, but you cant extrapolate this. You broken?

G

garbage

No one here has enough :girlfight: to make Fe go :emot-emo:

I dunno. I tend to get pretty irate when all I see is a bunch of people being dicks to each other (read: much earlier in this thread, in other threads, etc.)