User Tag List

First 12202122232432 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I just really am trying to reconcile the 'look beyond MBTI tendency' for 'Fe users' with the whole perception that 'Fi doesn't want to box people in.'

So, how is that reconciled?
    How does what reconcile with what? Both sound like statements that reject MBTI to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Qualifiers I can respect. I try to do the same myself because, like Pitselah, I really can't abide definitive statements - which is what tends to happen when discussing the theory. I can't abide them, because they are simply untrue. Yes, there are certainly trends for each of the functions and each of the types, but you can't really assess a particular individual based on the overall trend. The individual may be on the outskirts of the bell curve. So to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    I have issues with people seeing things a definitive way. The more open someone is the definitive I can be...the more definitive they become the more open I become.
    "Definitive" is a good word, because it demonstrates where the miscommunication can come in. When I use a "definitive" statement when explaining something in simple terms to someone else, I'm not "defining" anything, I'm explaining a process, or how something works, with a known context between the both of us. Especially in a highly technical field, one needs to communicate knowledge in distinct pieces. Each piece, taken all by itself, is usually false, but part of a larger statement and context. Once the person on the other end assembles all the pieces, it will be "true" (more or less). Adding in a lot of qualifiers about how something isn't 100% true is usually only needed in special cases, and otherwise gets in the way of communicating effectively, because it will become obvious what is 100% true and what is "mostly true" once the other person understands the technical process being described.

This mode of speech doesn't work too well on forums, however.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    "Definitive" is a good word, because it demonstrates where the miscommunication can come in. When I use a "definitive" statement when explaining something in simple terms to someone else, I'm not "defining" anything, I'm explaining a process, or how something works, with a known context between the both of us. Especially in a highly technical field, one needs to communicate knowledge in distinct pieces. Each piece, taken all by itself, is usually false, but part of a larger statement and context. Once the person on the other end assembles all the pieces, it will be "true" (more or less). Adding in a lot of qualifiers about how something isn't 100% true is usually only needed in special cases, and otherwise gets in the way of communicating effectively, because it will become obvious what is 100% true and what is "mostly true" once the other person understands the technical process being described.
    Of course this does all depend on the other person actually understanding, as well as concluding what you are concluding, and seeing the 'truths' that you see as truths, rather than coming away from it deciding that what you see as a truth is not what they see as a truth.

I do think this is interesting, though. A good distinction as to the 'intent' of Te, and what might be misconstrued about it.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

garbage

How does what reconcile with what? Both sound like statements that reject MBTI to some degree.
    One of the claims throughout this thread is that it's the 'Fe users' who don't want to use MBTI to place people into categories, that it's more of a 'Te' thing.

In many other parts of the forum, the claim has been that it's the 'Fi users' who don't want to strip people of their identity by placing them into categories. "You can't box me in; I'm too idiosyncratic!"

So, either (a) the theory doesn't actually readily explain that tendency, (b) there's an explanation within the theory that I haven't thought of, or (c) the underlying motivations of the two types are different but lead to the same outcome.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    YES. The whole post resonated with me. Instead of "you", I try to use "someone, "one", "individual". Is that more diplomatic or is that still offensive to the average Fi user?

I usually want to chew people out when they say definite things. I have chewed people out for saying all XXXX... or XXXX are...
    i agree completely with this; i don't think "someone/one/individual" is offensive at all, and get upset with blatant generalizations too.

i don't think it's specific language that's offensive to me as much as tone and implication.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I agree there's the possibility of O's reply being facetious.

Regardless, at the core I get a sense of her being frustrated at not being able to get her message across and feeling somewhat attacked in trying to do so. I do genuinely think her feelings are hurt here.
    that's the sense i got too, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    So...the squeaky wheel? The person who seemingly evidences the emotional "trauma" gets the bandage? I encountered something similar to this in my RL recently, because I didn't make a show of how I was feeling I evidently wasn't feeling anything at all. Also, why don't you voice these concerns to her personally via PM or wall message if you really want her back in the thread? If she's put it on ignore, then she's not seeing any of this.

And squished my @ss. Besides me and bologna what other strong Fe has consistently been a presence here in the thread? Once again, you're portraying Fe as the school yard bully who pushed the little scrawny Fi kid off the swing.

Orobas: What is "the game" and how do "we" crush each other?
    i don't mean this with any personal dislike towards either of you, but simply from my point of view this post reads almost very similarly emotionally as orobas', hurt and frustrated, even if your behavioral responses were different. you're both seeming to be fairly focused on how the external environment is upsetting to you personally.

your deadpan is masterful though, geez. i thought your joking post was serious too

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    So...the squeaky wheel? The person who seemingly evidences the emotional "trauma" gets the bandage? I encountered something similar to this in my RL recently, because I didn't make a show of how I was feeling I evidently wasn't feeling anything at all. Also, why don't you voice these concerns to her personally via PM or wall message if you really want her back in the thread? If she's put it on ignore, then she's not seeing any of this.

And squished my @ss. Besides me and bologna what other strong Fe has consistently been a presence here in the thread? Once again, you're portraying Fe as the school yard bully who pushed the little scrawny Fi kid off the swing.

Orobas: What is "the game" and how do "we" crush each other?
    Don't swing off on a tangent now ... I know you have feelings; I know you were feeling annoyance, iritation and impatience with the stereotypes presented, almost to the point of finding it offensive to you personally, but it doesn't seem to me that your feelings were hurt. Were they?

If they were and I missed it, I owe you an apology. If not, is it so hard to put yourself in her shoes, or in my shoes? Can you see how - for me - I would like to try bringing cohesiveness back to this thread rather than have some people leaving the discussion due to hurt feelings?

Right now, as we are talking here, I imagine us sitting side by side, not facing each other adversarially. I am speaking in my typical tone - soft yet direct, making solid eye contact, but not constantly holding your gaze; I am using my hands, palms open and up, to emphasize my sincerity.

Presented to you (in my original post in this thread) was an opportunity to see things from two points of view - yours and mine, roughly correlated to Fe dom / Fi dom. It's not like I actually disagree with you btw - you make many excellent points; I believe I repped you in this thread to that effect already. My metaphor basically = your opinion on the whole behaviour / function analyses ... differing only in that I do observe some core communication issues that do seem to correlate to typological lines, and some to enneagram typing. And that they can magnify online due to the lack of body language and other visual and auditory cues to help frame them contextually.

Fe is strong, charismatic, dynamic; that's why it's imperative if you want to facilitate communications that you engage Fi in a manner more fitting to draw it out. You have the skills to do this, yet your impatience takes over and crowds your effectiveness in this area. And you have a right to feel that way; people make such ridiculous claims sometimes about each function, especially the feeling functions.

Clearly I don't know all of the facts, and can't speak for Orobas; I am only going off of my feelings in this thread. It's not about taking sides.

I would support you as vigorously if I felt you needed it. Right here, right now, you don't.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

One of the claims throughout this thread is that it's the 'Fe users' who don't want to use MBTI to place people into categories, that it's more of a 'Te' thing.

In many other parts of the forum, the claim has been that it's the 'Fi users' who don't want to strip people of their identity by placing them into categories. "You can't box me in; I'm too idiosyncratic!"

So, either (a) the theory doesn't actually readily explain that tendency, (b) there's an explanation within the theory that I haven't thought of, or (c) the underlying motivations of the two types are different but lead to the same outcome.
    I think it might help to consider the positioning of the Fi and Fe.

I think the higher F is in one's functional preference, the more you see the tendency you've described.

Nevertheless, and I can't believe I'm going to be the one harking on this point now: it might come down to individual differences...

I do, though, think that Ts will tend to be more open to the boxing...

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    This isn't exactly on-topic, but thought I'd share my responses/impressions to both Orobas' final post in here and protean's response to it: When I read Orobas' post, I honestly suspected she was being totally facetious, and basically ripping on / condescending of Fe - as she seemed to be adding all of the supposedly-obligatory-and-stereotypical-Fe-'approaches', without really buying into it- it just seemed like a robotic response, saying what she perceives she's 'supposed' to be saying to be Fe-ish - and it just seemed blatantly over the top and I actually thought SHE was being tongue-in-cheek. Thus I thought protean's tongue-in-cheek response/joke was of the same vein.
    Funny
    I didn't blink twice when I saw O's reply. Maybe it's coz I know her a bit already, otherwise I admit it does have potential for sarcasm. The thing is, it didn't even occur to me to think that she would do that. The thing I saw, when I read that, was an exasperated O desperately trying to figure out how to put in Fe-terms (the best she could) what she'd been saying for many posts already: that she didn't mean to hurt anyone, or offend anyone or make assumptions...and that she was sorry if that in truth had happened.

For that matter, it sorta pissed me off ,as to me it seemed like she surrendered, given up the will to fight, to try and be understood and just give in to maintain the peace, and jump through all the hoops she felt she had to to appease people, despite not really *feeling* what she was saying /dramatic explanation.

Then again, only O can really say what she meant by that post, I guess

As for needing to be coddled...no. Not needing to be coddled, but the need to be heard and understood, especially when sharing a piece of them, or an idea, is very big. There's no problem with people disagreeing with our views, as long as it doesn't get personal. As long as only the idea gets feedback and it doesn't get used to read into who you are as a person and judge you. And *yes*, I am aware that that was probably not the intent, but that's how it comes off. You did make it about her and how she should look at herself if she thought such things. That, if you wanna avoid confrontations with Fi-users, is about the worst thing to do ever. We tend to prefer a certain harmony to the relationship with the person we're debating shit with and keep idea debating strictly to the idea and not make it about the person involved as that gets emotionally messy real quick. I do admit I've seen Fe-users that truly need that approach as it helps them sort out their own perspectives, so I understand that this is a valid way to help out others, though I admit to not understanding how it works. I would very much like to though.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Nevertheless, and I can't believe I'm going to be the one harking on this point now: it might come down to individual differences...
    This Is Golden.

Thus Spake PeaceBaby!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i just want to point out that i don't think that theory and individuality are necessarily mutually exclusive... theory is always going to miss some individuality, while individuality is actually the fundamental basis for typology theory.

theory-wise, introverted functions will tend to cherish identity and individuality. Fi should be more interested in personal value/emotional individuality, while Ti should be more interested in idea/intellectual identity. Ni will prize individuality of vision and depth while Si will prize individuality of experience.

on the other hand, extraverted functions in general will seek to reconcile differences. Fe will seek to group people together and Te will seek to group logical connections together. Ne will group and combine ideas while Se will group and combine experience/physical detail.

hence this:
    What I've noticed is that the wounds are in different spots. I've observed that for Fe, Ti seems to be what gets wounded. For Te, Fi is what gets wounded.
    and

One of the claims throughout this thread is that it's the 'Fe users' who don't want to use MBTI to place people into categories, that it's more of a 'Te' thing. In many other parts of the forum, the claim has been that it's the 'Fi users' who don't want to strip people of their identity by placing them into categories. "You can't box me in; I'm too idiosyncratic!"
    so, theoretically, NeFi / FiNe and FeNi / NiFe will both seek both individuality and solidarity, just in different ways. and since we all use all of the functions, we will all prize all of these to a certain degree.

regardless of theory, individuality and solidarity are what make us living beings; difference provides us with individual identity and drive and likeness provides us with cohesion for survival and collaboration. and to some extent conflict between and over the two is bound to happen because individuality and solidarity are push-pull forces both within and amongst people.

in other words... this conflict is almost unavoidable. of course, the way we handle it is, at least to some extent, under our control.
    Last edited by skylights; 08-17-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: reorganized. i blame Te ;]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

I wouldn't say that either one is "typical." There are far too many "Fe users" and "Fi users" on this forum to conclude that they generally distrust MBTI as a rule.

I would suggest that we all bring our own skills into play in addition to MBTI to evaluate things as appropriate. Some have a greater degree of additional skills, and would prefer to use those before resorting to MBTI, if at all. Others will tend to start with MBTI, and then work from MBTI generalities to get to individual specificities.

Personally, I tend to pull out MBTI if there is a problem that doesn't seem to be resolved by my normal approaches. Sometimes it provides an insight. Sometimes it doesn't. If I get an insight, it's something to try, it might work or it might not.