MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Default Fe and Beauty

Jung had this to say:

Even where it seems to show a certain independence of the quality of the concrete object, it is none the less under the spell of. traditional or generally valid standards of some sort. I may feel constrained, for instance, to use the predicate 'beautiful' or 'good', not because I find the object 'beautiful' or 'good' from my own subjective feeling, but because it is fitting and politic so to do; and fitting it certainly is, inasmuch as a contrary opinion would disturb the general feeling situation. A feeling-judgment such as this is in no way a simulation or a lie -- it is merely an act of accommodation. A picture, for instance, may be termed beautiful, because a picture that is hung in a drawing-room and bearing a well-known signature is generally assumed to be beautiful, or because the predicate 'ugly' might offend the family of the fortunate possessor, or because there is a benevolent intention on the part of the visitor to create a pleasant feeling-atmosphere, to which end everything must be felt as agreeable. Such feelings are governed by the standard of the objective determinants. As such they are genuine, and represent the total visible feeling-function.
    This approach to beauty seems so foreign to me, almost like that is the exact opposite of beauty.

I wonder, do Fe doms feel more aware and constrained by external standards of beauty? If so, how does this influence their self esteem? Is beauty in the eye of the beholder or not? Do things seem more beautiful to you, if they are presented as something "beautiful"?

Discuss.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Glycerine

Quinlan,
    In my perspective, not really. I use Se to spot beauty.... you should know how that is.
    Some conventional beauty standards are downright UGLY to me like pencil thin eyebrows, bleached blond hair, orange tans, botox to look younger, etc. I would say I have an eye for aesthetics because people ask me for my opinion for what they wear.

As for the other part of your question, I critique how I look constantly to the point of distortion but that's primarily aimed at myself so in that sense, I have low esteem about how I look.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Technically I don't use Se to spot beauty, it's Fi that is making the evaluation that something is beautiful or not. To me Se can see what is but it can't place a value (beauty) on it.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

I use Fi for beauty, I guess... with a mix of Se. :confused: I dunno.. I know that what I see as beautiful doesn't seem to always line up with typical standards. Say, with people... that might be different.. What's the word for it? Preternatural.. I kind of like forms of beauty like that a lot. I would say, I have a mancrush on Adrien Brody. Cool nose. Noses are cool in general.. one of my first girlfriends in highschool had a crook in her nose, but she was gorgeous. Or Bowie. Or Devon Aoki. She's not exactly preternatural, but there's that old CNN reporter who was always sexy as hell to me.. Christiane Amanpour. Especially when she was younger. Maybe I like her because she's brave too. I don't know anyone who agrees with me though. They think it's funny for some reason.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Jung had this to say:

This approach to beauty seems so foreign to me, almost like that is the exact opposite of beauty.

I wonder, do Fe doms feel more aware and constrained by external standards of beauty? If so, how does this influence their self esteem? Is beauty in the eye of the beholder or not? Do things seem more beautiful to you, if they are presented as something "beautiful"?

Discuss.
    Well, you see, people have been speaking recently about how we don't use all of our functions separately, which implies to me that people with Fe use other functions (Si, Se) to spot beauty, and simply utilize Fe to acknowledge more "objective" social standards of beauty. I know many, many times I have said things were pretty or something because I was put in an uncomfortable situation where I did not want to offend. I'm assuming this is what is meant by Fe's estimation of beauty in this passage - which means I'm also using a little Fe, or creating pseudo-Fe with Fi/Te understanding that it's more objectively pleasant to agree or compliment in certain situations rather than being brutally honest. In these cases, it is more "beautiful" to create harmony than to become an art critic or express ones self truthfully. It kind of goes along with Fe not wanting to make a scene.

I know two people with Si/Fe who have a very highly developed aesthetic, and I'm quite sure they are not just basing it on acceptable social standards...which is why I think Si as well as Se can perform an aesthetic function that is not merely Fe based.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Technically I don't use Se to spot beauty, it's Fi that is making the evaluation that something is beautiful or not. To me Se can see what is but it can't place a value (beauty) on it.
    yeah good point. I use Se to notice things but I don't think I use societal standards to tell me what's beautiful. It's usually my personal take on it so I guess I like the natural beauty in things. For me, I am not automatically going to find things "beautiful" just because society tells me to. This probably sounds arrogant but if a lot of people find something "beautiful" and it seems overrated, I become turned off by it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

it's odd to think of a function informing you of such things but i guess if i really thought about it...i could totally see a nefitesi thing going on in there...but maybe you people are brainwashing me.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    it's odd to think of a function informing you of such things but i guess if i really thought about it...i could totally see a nefitesi thing going on in there...but maybe you people are brainwashing me.
    You have made the most sense out of anyone in quite awhile. Many of us (including me) read WAY too much into MBTI.

yeah, i'm confused too.. but i could just see that i tend to have my own spin on presentation, art, beauty.. and i don't give a shit what anyone says on them really. unless they agree so i'm sure Fi is playing a part there.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I definitely see the difference in Fe-people, but it's not as if they are brain-washed and just agree with the general consensus because it is the general consensus.

That said, I am interested in hearing more Fe thoughts on this....I too feel like my sense of beauty is guided by my Fi, but it does not always put me out of sync with others. I notice that SFPs tend to be very aware of what the current trends in beauty is, whether they agree with it or not. As an NFP, I'm very aware because I'm so drawn to novelty that I tend to be ahead of the curve (whether I agree with the standards or not). Where as with NFJs and SFJs, it appears there is a different way of valuing beauty, but I can't explain it because it's foreign to me.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe