First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    I thought most of our gender differences (and gender roles) were primarily due to our physical differences?
    you mean that physiology breeds psychology? I agree, but that the environment plays a role and so say Marie Curie was less 'feminine' than say Jessica Beil... Striped Pant suit Jacketed Clinton less 'feminine' than .. oh some bubbly intern ?

MBTI
    INFP

Oh I took that one around 2 or a year ago I was smack in the middle a bit of both.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    I think it's true that nowadays women are more prone (or better said, expected) to F than T, and men to T than F... but, isn't this a wonderful society in which we are all the same?
    Was this sarcasm?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    infp

Definitely not T/F. As I've said many a time around here, my own theory is that it's female sexuality verse male sexuality that makes it different. When seeing that, keep in mind that I use the broad definition of sexuality in this idea, which is everything from gender identity (i.e. I am a male, which will then influence what you do and how you do it to some degree) to sexual attraction (which also influences what you do and how). This also ties in with social things (i.e. what is socially sen as feminin, or sexual) that dictate a lot of stuff, too. I think sexuality effects everything in extremely subtle ways.

I don't know if that explains any specific psychology, but in general I think it explains why men and women behave different.

But I don't know shit

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer View Post
    you mean that physiology breeds psychology? I agree, but that the environment plays a role and so say Marie Curie was less 'feminine' than say Jessica Beil... Striped Pant suit Jacketed Clinton less 'feminine' than .. oh some bubbly intern ?
    Sure, but I didn't only mean how we look, but also in our physical and biological capabilities.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Sure, but I didn't only mean how we look, but also in our physical and biological capabilities.
    Its all related as I see it, so when I said 'physiology' I meant the brain-body combination difference between genders... so physical, biological, psychological, mental.. hence everything.. I guess it also points towards the traditional-ish sorta hackneyed tussle b/w predisposition & gender roles etc.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I don't know if anyone's brought this up already, but 75% of women are Fs. Methinks 'tis the estrogen hard at work?

Meyers-Briggs Statistics

MBTI
    INTP

Thank you, all. Very many good posts.
    This topic seems to interest people, esp. in the MBTIc. So many of us go transgender.
    It did not seem to interest people in the INTPc at all.

here is some reading on the topic

Hoagies' Gifted: Gender Issues

The interesting article of Jane Piirto is included, based on the MBTI.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    The main issue for me is how you describe the person who doesn't fit the stereotype. Are they are rare type, which is neutral or even positive? Or are they abnormal or a freak?

My main issue was not the test itself, but the terms used. If the test said most women are type E, but you are type L, I would be okay with that. I'm used to being a rare type. I took an on-line personality type recently where they asked some background information on gender, age, education level. At the end they compared my results to others in my demographic. I didn't match any of them, but I didn't mind at all.
    The problem I have is that they used very old, conventional and convenient ways of applying their 'facts' to the test. To say women are mostly E, is to imply that women in general get their energy from others, rather than within. I know better than that.. When it comes to gender, we have stereotypes and that's all. Generalizations are too borderline across the board for most gender-specific traits. From one's personal experiences, they may agree on one or another.. but altogether they seem quite useless when it comes to arguments, facts, and research or debate.. making them useless for me.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I often criticize gender destinction studies on pragmatic grounds, as well. That is too say, I don't find them useful. When making decisions about someone, we should always base it on their individual merit. So, even if it just happened that the two genders tended toward different traits, it would still be irrelevant, because we'll never put it to use.
    I personally believe in seeking knowledge for its own sake. Seemingly, worthless scientific findings may prove invaluable to progress in the future, as was the case with accidental discovery of penicillin, but the act of obtaining the data requires a passion for the practice itself. The most successful scientists enjoy their jobs and it would seem imprudent to discourage it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    How about I answer?
    Real (representative sample) studies show that.
    -Women and men are equally good at throwing a ball with thier non-dominant hand. (I will always find this a great example in 'how to remove the culture influence')
    -Women and men on average talk exactly the same amount.

I'm just getting started here.
    Where did you find this information? Most of the Big Five studies I find point to Extroversion being generally higher in women. Ive never heard the first example you posted, the one involving the dominant hand, but I would also be interested in reading that.

The question is if there is indeed a sex difference between Thinkers and Feelers, whether these difference are cultural or biological. Are women naturally predisposed to becoming Feelers are does the culture in which the study was taken socially condition young girls into thinking in such a fashion? I believe a personality-based study throughout several differing nations is in order.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox