User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ

I agree. I don't understand why they used the terminology of having a predominantly male or female brain. There may be differences seen between the sexes but just because you have a brain similar to most men does not make you a man...so yeah, some better wording would be nice. =)

When someone doesn't fit the stereotype I always take it neutrally, or I use it to realize that no stereotype is 100% accurate 100% of the time. Just be yourself; thats all you can be right?

Also, on the note of being "special" because you are different... I don't like to think that way. We all have traits that set us apart from others. Even with MBTI claiming that INFjs/INTJs are the rarest type, I don't think you should feel special because of it. Every single human being is special because they are alive, its as simple as that.

MBTI
    INTJ

Some people claim that certain rare types (generally INTP and INTJ) enjoy being rare types because it makes them feel special or superior. I have not felt this way myself and I don't know how common this really is.

I enjoy being a rare type because the alternative is abnormal, freak, "something wrong with her," etc.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    No, it's actually completely true.
    Perhaps in different cultures, but in the United States, women on average talk and communicate more than men, and the portions of their brains devoted to language are more developed, a result of higher levels of estrogen. This higher level of estrogen relating to verbal fluency is also evidenced by the fact that gay men (particularly those who have older brothers) have higher levels of verbal fluency, and a good portion of gay men are younger siblings to older brothers. And it is well known and documented that when a woman has more than one boy, the younger boys receive less testosterone hormone waves than their older brothers.

So no, women and men do not talk on average the same amount. Even if this weren't scientifically documented, it's common sense.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Perhaps in different cultures, but in the United States, women on average talk and communicate more than men, and the portions of their brains devoted to language are more developed, a result of higher levels of estrogen. This higher level of estrogen relating to verbal fluency is also evidenced by the fact that gay men (particularly those who have older brothers) have higher levels of verbal fluency, and a good portion of gay men are younger siblings to older brothers. And it is well known and documented that when a woman has more than one boy, the younger boys receive less testosterone hormone waves than their older brothers.

So no, women and men do not talk on average the same amount. Even if this weren't scientifically documented, it's common sense.
    Just no. Every point of view has some validity so don't diss it before you look it up yourself. I find it interesting that you use "common sense" as an argument as well. There have been studies which show that men and women talk the same amount. Check this article: Men, Women Talk the Same Amount

I was OK with you saying estrogen levels increase how much a person speaks but every male and female aren't given the same dose of estrogen. Like you said yourself, boys generally get less testosterone the more older brothers they have.

Both of your view points can be thought about further but how is it that common sense supports your argument?

Common sense is by definition a collection of judgements created by a specific culture. I'll tell you right now that common sense is not infallible. If you really believe women talk more, please give a bit more of a solid argument..

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Every time I take a gender related test, I come out female. :rolli:

Anyhow, Wildcat, I find the statement about gender corelation too generalized. I think the doubts about this become more apparent when we look at it from a process specific level. For instance, I have witnessed, in all manners, a great deal of men who clearly posess very high Fi.

It think you will find that the accuracy of these matches changes depending on what circumstances you are observing.
    Agreed.

I test male. On every single type of gender test. From testing whether my brain prefers more "masculine" functions, down to the style of my writing.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I thought most of our gender differences (and gender roles) were primarily due to our physical differences?

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

I'm ENTP, quite sure, and also ENTp in Socionics. When I took the BBC Brain Gender quiz, I came up as exactly center between male and female. Of course, I'm gay, so maybe that plays a part.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    I thought most of our gender differences (and gender roles) were primarily due to our physical differences?
    Are you counting differences in brain chemistry as physical differences?

MBTI
    ENTP

During my study of the English language and its usage by those who use it, I learned that women hypercorrect far more than men, especially when reading aloud (that is, speak more 'posh' than they naturally do or would considering their backgrounds and/or give pronunciation values to letters or words that they THINK are 'prestige' but which 'real' prestige background people don't use) and that they also are more likely to adopt accents that are more 'prestige' than their origins or backgrounds would naturally give them. Various details in these studies basically suggest women to be more socially ambitious than men, more concerned with what class they're seen as etc, whilst men's ambition tends to be more material, to do more purely with actual quality of life. He might want to be seen as rich and be envied, but he's less likely to want to hide that he comes from the trailor park than his wife.

That is, take a man and his wife who both come from a poor background in a redneck community. Say the guy's been to college and got a law degree and they're now wealthy and they're standing on the golf range at Beverley Hills. The guy's still talking with his redneck accent but the woman has somehow lost hers, at least when they're out.

IOW, women are more prone to class-based pretentiousness than men. This reminds me of my aunt who hasn't visited my mom, her own sister, for fifteen years because my mom lives in social housing and my aunt can't bear to be seen even in the area. Even though they grew up in social housing.

------

I could go on forever about the differences in male and female behaviours, expectations, and general experience of life which I've learned from my own experience of having lived significant portions of my life in both gender roles. But my experience of what happens when I start to talk about that has led me to be reluctant to do so.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

I always thought those differences where caused by our Prehistory times.
    Women should be more 'Feeling' since they should take care of the chidlren, and man should be 'Thinking' since they went to hunt and all.

I think it's true that nowadays women are more prone (or better said, expected) to F than T, and men to T than F... but, isn't this a wonderful society in which we are all the same?