User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

The was I study I read a while back on a guy who came up with this test for male and female brains. I think his name was Cohen or Baron-Cohen. Female corresponded roughly to F and male to T. He didn't use those terms though, he called them social (female) and logical (male).

According to his findings the majority or females had the "female brain" type and the majority of males had the "male brain" type.

However, as a female who took his test on-line and was rated "very masculine," I was a bit put off by his whole terminolgy. I imaging most males would not be happy to score female.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    False.
    No, it's actually completely true.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    The was I study I read a while back on a guy who came up with this test for male and female brains. I think his name was Cohen or Baron-Cohen. Female corresponded roughly to F and male to T. He didn't use those terms though, he called them social (female) and logical (male).

According to his findings the majority or females had the "female brain" type and the majority of males had the "male brain" type.

However, as a female who took his test on-line and was rated "very masculine," I was a bit put off by his whole terminolgy. I imaging most males would not be happy to score female.
    OMG, where is his online test? I need a good laugh today.

MBTI
    ESTJ

I think this is what Ilah is talking of: BBC - Science & Nature - Sex ID

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Every time I take a gender related test, I come out female. :rolli:

Anyhow, Wildcat, I find the statement about gender corelation too generalized. I think the doubts about this become more apparent when we look at it from a process specific level. For instance, I have witnessed, in all manners, a great deal of men who clearly posess very high Fi.

It think you will find that the accuracy of these matches changes depending on what circumstances you are observing.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

This is the one I was talking about.

The Essential Difference front page | Science | guardian.co.uk

I am not sure if it is different than the one posted earlier.

It was done as part of research for Asperengers. Aspies tend to score very masuline. Female aspie are more rare than male aspies, although they could just be under-diagnosised.

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Every time I take a gender related test, I come out female. :rolli:

Anyhow, Wildcat, I find the statement about gender corelation too generalized. I think the doubts about this become more apparent when we look at it from a process specific level. For instance, I have witnessed, in all manners, a great deal of men who clearly posess very high Fi.

It think you will find that the accuracy of these matches changes depending on what circumstances you are observing.
    Its a dilemma. We all want to be able to group people and make generalizations because it makes things easier for us, but almost everyone resents being stereotyped.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I often criticize gender destinction studies on pragmatic grounds, as well. That is too say, I don't find them useful. When making decisions about someone, we should always base it on their individual merit. So, even if it just happened that the two genders tended toward different traits, it would still be irrelevant, because we'll never put it to use.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I often criticize gender destinction studies on pragmatic grounds, as well. That is too say, I don't find them useful. When making decisions about someone, we should always base it on their individual merit. So, even if it just happened that the two genders tended toward different traits, it would still be irrelevant, because will never put it to use.
    Really? I'd rather take the statistics and approach people through a perspective that will confirm what I already know -must- be true.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    Its a dilemma. We all want to be able to group people and make generalizations because it makes things easier for us, but almost everyone resents being stereotyped.
    The main issue for me is how you describe the person who doesn't fit the stereotype. Are they are rare type, which is neutral or even positive? Or are they abnormal or a freak?

My main issue was not the test itself, but the terms used. If the test said most women are type E, but you are type L, I would be okay with that. I'm used to being a rare type. I took an on-line personality type recently where they asked some background information on gender, age, education level. At the end they compared my results to others in my demographic. I didn't match any of them, but I didn't mind at all.