• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sense of Humor & Type

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Inspired by the Ne v Ni Humor thread, I decided it might be interesting to take it to the next logical level, and the search function turned up nil on the topic. I suppose you may also go by function, if you find that more accurate.

So, what do you think fits each types' humor? Descriptions, examples, personal anecdotes, whatever.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I like humor that requires an obscure piece of knowledge to understand, then it becomes more valuable. Something that twists something, like irony or a symbol of something

I also like humor that requires little or no thought, is plain moronic or crude/black. So, take it for what it is worth.

the only kind of humor I cant stand is the kind that you will see on things like America's funniest videos. Like a baby doing some stupid baby thing that isn't funny or a guy falling into a cake trying to dance with his 400 lb. wife at a wedding. Crap my ESFJ mom thinks is funny.

sorry my ESFJs with good senses of humouurrrs out there

lucibelle

MBTI Type
I__P
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
My sense of humour is quite...very....random. As in I like to take things that have nothing in common and just throw them together. I've never seen TV shows or movies or such with humour too close to mine...Mebbe the closest would be some of JD's daydreams from Scrubs. It's *not* the daydreams themselves, but how the things he says right afterwards are so out of context with the real situation.
Another thing I like is taking something that isn't funny at all, and try to make it so lame and unfunny that it becomes funny. Usually I fail. Sometimes I end up with something that's actually funny.
(Just to clarify, I'm not into the "OMG NINJA MONKEEZ!!!" sort of 'random' humour :) )

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i like really subtle witty humor, and wordplay.

i also do like light situational humor, like funniest videos - though what bugs me is the dumb jokes the announcer cracks. i like web humor too, like encyclopedia dramatica, memes, xkcd. and slightly-sick things like dead baby jokes and cyanide and happiness. the darwin awards are still funny but also sad to me, they push it a bit too far IMO. though sending someone to lemonparty or goatse (beware if you don't already know) is hilarious.

i don't like knock-knocks, why did the chicken cross the road, joke books, slapstick, things that are really obvious, or things that are totally random (haha sorry lucibelle).

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like witty humor...wordplay...funny observations...dryness...ridiculousness...silliness and total deadpan.

WildCard

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Hmm, I'm a big fan of deadpan and some slapstick. I don't really like the "slap you upside the head" kind of humor, but with anything, there are exceptions to the rule.

I know as an INFJ, I use a lot of dry humor and deadpan. But's that just me, I don't want to try to cram anyone else of my type into the same category.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Random Random Random. Wouldn't imagine it otherwise.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Randomness is good, but can be overdone (Family Guy doesn't appeal to me, for example, nor does Tim and Eric or most Adult Swim shows except Venture Bros and Boondocks). I like humor where there's clear craft. Layered, witty, and often dryer type jokes appeal, with just the right amount of absurdity. The fact that someone took the time to really work on these jokes is something I love, and overly-random shows or humor don't make me feel that way. My most random favorites are probably Stella or Wet Hot American Summer, but sometimes the jokes are really subtle and even take multiple viewings to get.

I also love a lot of podcasts featuring comedians. Skill in improv is really cool to me. Something about a truly funny comment or comeback just appearing from the air is great (but, if there's prep time or a script, I ask more).

My ENTP friend is much more into the random stuff, like you.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I prefer taboo-laden dark/morbid humor, wild exaggeration, and clever satire.

Ivan Brunetti's Misery Loves Comedy (graphic novel) would be a good example. I laughed my ass off reading it.

Amazon.com: Misery Loves Comedy (9781560977926): Ivan Brunetti: Books

From a Publishers Weekly review:
Brunetti constantly offers up the worst possible image of himself alongside his portraits of a despised society. His festival of self-loathing, sexual depravity and brutal cynicism, is, however, amazingly clever and incisive.

That's the kind of stuff I love. :D

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I've been told that I have a type of 'dry' humor. I like to make references to obscure subjects and take small jabs at the general population without them knowing what I'm doing or if they do know, without them knowing if I'm serious or not. What I don't like is 'LOL OMG PUNCHLINE' humor.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Very self-deprecating. Sometimes to a fault.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also self-deprecating here.

Really, most kinds of humor that are well done. Not a big fan of slapstick with a couple of exeptions.

I like random humor alot. And Monty Python.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
I like humor you have to think about to get. Anything that is too obvious generally isn't funny to me.

I also like humor where the other person thinks you are serious (i.e. asking the waiter at a fancy steak house if they will "sing happy birthday to my friend like they do at TGI Fridays". But even that is only funny when used sparingly otherwise it's just annoying.

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
I just noticed that there are alot of ENFP's here. Are we particularly into humor or am i just getting excited?

anyways, i love wordplay, i love irony, i love using dry technical language in a goofy context, i love plain goofiness, i love overdoing something stupid to the point that its sort of ironic

i also really like humour thats very insightful or captures real life in some way, like great imitations or dave chappelles sense of humour

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm either about shock value or a well placed line. Sometimes they intersect.

Yes, I'm with MDP on the above.

I am essentially a loon. I'll use any material available to get people laughing. I don't care if it's slapstick humor, if that's what I have to reach for then it's on. My big thing is I can tell WHEN PEOPLE NEED TO LAUGH. If there is a heaviness in the room, and people's faces are downtrodden, and negative energy abounds, then I'll make something funny happen to liven things up, because I just can't stand being in a negative environment like that. I'd rather be cut into pieces with a rusty butter knife.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Apart from mine, -ntps' style does it. I've also an intj friend who pulls off this often-perfect balance of cheerful & morbid that I rather enjoy.

I don't mean to turn this into a comic thread.
sesamestreet.gif

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
No worries; I meant this thread as a place to examine the differences in each types and/or functions sense of humour and why. Mostly, even my own posts, are now people describing their sense of humour. I can create, but I cannot control how it evolves. In that way, I am like God (I am nothing like God).

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Sarcasm, spoonerisms, certain slapstick, parodies, obvious humor, etc. Though one thing I am definitely NOT a fan of is puns. They're generally just painful. :/

If I am the one "telling a joke," I usually like using sarcasm.

Oh... and I'm likely an SJ. (IS??)

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Disney movies bear little to no relation to reality, hence watching my dog trying to fuck my leg takes presidence.

I think I learned how to sound smart by using hence on a regular basis thru this site.