User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    What about Blob types? They're a little off the charts, don'tcha think?

Obviously ISFp, according to socionics.

Common social roles
    The lazy hedonist with a short attention span who loves to consume movies, music, shows, food, and drink and sees no reason to strain himself in life.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I don't know this system as well as the Ayurvedic types, and they allow for mixed types, which I am (Kapha/Pitta).

MBTI
    ENFJ

So I'm like a really fat ectomorph?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

from the source of truthiness:

"Sheldon's theories had popularity through the 1950s, influencing Abraham Maslow, Aldous Huxley, and Robert S de Ropp.The majority of scientists today generally consider such theories outdated.[citation needed] Some found the idea of somatotypes reminiscent of eugenics and racial hygiene; they went against the fashionable emphasis on nurture, presenting a ready-made paradigm that had strong resonates with mystical thought.

Sheldon's photographs of naked Yale undergraduates, numbered in the thousands, which had been taken under the umbrella of a pre-existing program for checking student posture, and other similar photographs that he had gathered from programs at other institutes, were eventually destroyed.[3][4]

The words endomorphic, mesomorphic and ectomorphic are still sometimes used to describe body types, as, for example, in association with weight training aimed at gaining muscle, but interest in this kind of correlation between physiology and psyche remains largely the province of the occult philosopher. The psychosomatic linkage is fairly simplistic and is seen as undemonstrated in physiological science, but the account of somatotypes is still probably a valid[citation needed], if limited, way to sort basic body types. Advanced triploblastic animals, such as mammals, or modern humans in particular, do have these three basic tissue layers.

Sheldon himself was more a behavioral psychologist than either an anatomist or a physiologist. His behavioral conclusions were based largely on interviews which he or his students carried out over a long span of time, and the actual psychometric data was often more suggestive than conclusive. The prevalence of kindred ideas in folklore and spiritual philosophy, though, suggests that ideas similar to Sheldon's will continue to be held until they are conclusively proven or disproven."
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Skylights:

Sheldon's theory about somatotype and personality has a strong tie in with Jung. Sheldon worked at the Jung institute in Switzerland for a while.

In Jung's Collected Works vol 6 page 524 Jung says: "so intimate is the intermingling of body and psychic traits that not only can we draw far-reaching inferences as to the constitution of the psyche from the constitution of the body, but we can also infer from psychic peculiarities the corresponding bodily characteristics.

At this point in time I have taken this theory further than anyone alive. Using actual measurements of a person's body (height, weight patterns, Trunk Index) it is possible to determine quite accurately the particular mix of endo, meso and ecto.

What I have done differently is add a factor that expresses the degree of balance between those three dimensions. A mesomorph that is a is a lot different from a mesomorph that is a (Brad Pitt) Both are muscular but Brad Pitt is a little more independent and selective than a Tiger Woods.

Types don't have rigid boundaries defining them. They are like clouds of probability. This is evident in the endless discussions about "am I a P or J" , "I tested first as an T and then later as an F" This is really a problem with the balanced somatotypes that lie at the center of the chart. The close you are to the balance point of the center the more likely you will be confused about your type. That also may explain why the majority of people who are endlessly fascinated with type are midrange types. Those who are more extreme in body-type are less concerned about their identity because it doesn't shift.

Balance doesn't mean stability. Think of a teeter-totter or balance scale. If one side is dominant it tips in one direction and stays there. If the weights are equal the slightest touch destabilizes the system and keeps going back and forth. People in the middle have so many possibilities that they have trouble determining exactly who they are.
    Last edited by Psychdigg; 07-26-2010 at 03:44 PM.
    “Sheldon considers human beings as they really are - psycho-physical wholes.”

“the first serious advance of the science of man since Aristotle”

“For the first time the old insights and intuitions about the different kinds of human beings have been clarified and put on a firmly objective and measurable basis.”
    ___“Aldous Huxley/ A Biography” Sybille Bedford, 1974

Thumbs down Like a Dog to its Vomit

Yes, "Personality Types", was written by Carl Jung to complement Somatic Types.

And Somatic Types were an essential part of Eugenics which was started in the USA and perfected in Germany.

Unfortunately Carl Jung backed the wrong side in WW II, but he would be pleased to see we are returning to Eugenics, Somatic Types and Personality Types like a dog to its vomit.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

In that case I stand corrected. If C.G. Jung said it,it must be true.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Psychdigg View Post
    People in the middle have so many possibilities that they have trouble determining exactly who they are.
    I've never had that much of a problem with being typed ISFP. Until I came to this place. I start doubting my type when I'm supposed to be a potato chip grubbing, completely unintuitive nitwit who can't understand "how deep others are", born as a meek little soul with a teddy bear in my arms instead of some balls or self respect. And now I can add "endomorph" to things I'm not too.

These things create a doubting response in myself, where I go... "well shit, I'm not that clueless.. maybe I'm an NF" Or "maybe I'm a Ti".. Or "maybe I'm ESFP".. but it's all bullshit. I am not really that great at being any of those, speaking strictly from a "functional" point of view (or how the type is described by authors, rather than laymen). I'd just suggest people get Thomson's book and find their type that way, if they're confused (I need to take my own advice too).

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

What a funny chart. I'm pretty solidly halfway between Ecto and Meso. Zero Endo. Thus I'm INTJ! Woot!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    intp

INTJ, too.

Wouldn't be the first to be wrong.

How is one ever halfway between endo and ecto, tho?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery