• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

xxTJs and xxFPs - in your opinions, what is Ti?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I'd like to know your impressions of it. Why is it so different from your own logical processes, in your estimation?

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
Ti seems like a thinking process that is very specific and exacting. It focuses on the details and likes understanding how things work at the bare minimum. As such, they can build from the bottom up. The goal of Ti is to be logically consistent instead of being productive. Ti tends to serve as the backbone or the moral/ethical foundation of a individual; Nothing doesn't seem right or wrong, it has to be logically proven so. Because it's very specific and exacting, it requires a lot of information and people with high Ti tend to be quite creative and knowledgeable.

The main difference Ti has with Te in my opinion is that Te is more focused on the answer or the result. Ti seems to focus on finding exceptions to the rules while Te focuses on the rules simply because it's the more likely thing to happen but, if that particular exception happens, there's already a plan for it. Ti, on the other hand, seems focused more on the debate and the process of learning by comparison. Te prefers structure and order, and that tends to correlate with thought. Te, by nature of function, tends to be more practical and its attention deals more with what can be manipulated.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I score high on Ti, actually, and I think Ti and Fi are quite similar. :)

Their focuses are different, but the actual processing of information is quite similar.

:yes:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Their focuses are different, but the actual processing of information is quite similar.

:yes:

yes!

they're both about internal consistency, the way i understand it. they both read shades of grey - whether something fits or does not, and when something is not quite right. but Fi is more people-oriented, while Ti is more process-oriented.

Ti tends to serve as the backbone or the moral/ethical foundation of a individual; Nothing doesn't seem right or wrong, it has to be logically proven so. Because it's very specific and exacting, it requires a lot of information and people with high Ti tend to be quite creative and knowledgeable.

i think Fi would be my moral/ethical foundation. i have a hard time divorcing Fi from Ne in my own processing sometimes, but it's more about having a sense of when something is just not right, like when someone's crossed the line in saying or doing something, or whether someone is being genuine or not. it's very, very much about people, to me. my own logical moral framework is not super specific... i have some principles i follow, for sure, but they're more like guidelines. i think both processes, Ti and Fi, natually need a lot of information because they filter what Ne/Se gives us - and they focus on similar things - the tilting points.

oh, and i think that Fi can be rather rule-breaking (or maybe it's just me... lol). Fi can determine in special situations that certain people or principles override rules... and of course Ne says, to hell with it, rules are generally a good idea but boring and restrictive anyway :D is Ti the same way?

coconut

MBTI Type
INTJ
I score high on Ti, actually, and I think Ti and Fi are quite similar. :)

I thought the difference was as simple as the difference between thinking and feeling. Not so? I thought Ti was thinking about questions and logic, and Fi was assessing how I feel/what I think about things.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I consider Ti to be a function that creates a drive towards technical perfection, whether that be logical consistancy (as is common in the NTPs) or the value of bit of machinary. It is a subjective method of evaluation, rather like Fi, which is why it may favour some thing (like steam trains) over another, seeming more pragmatic artical (like diesal trains).

An ITP will seek to achieve this technical perfection even when it has no immediate practical use, because such technical perfection was worth to them in the same way that a painting has worth to an artist.

As a Te user, I tend to favour pragmatism in technical areas. Indeed, I need Te to crush my critical Ti, which is never satisfied. It always wants more, and offers little in return. Eventually, Te has to punch it's lights out with steel clad fist and say "Enough. It's fit for purpose. Stop wasting time and resources."

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
The main difference Ti has with Te in my opinion is that Te is more focused on the answer or the result. Ti seems to focus on finding exceptions to the rules while Te focuses on the rules simply because it's the more likely thing to happen but, if that particular exception happens, there's already a plan for it. Ti, on the other hand, seems focused more on the debate and the process of learning by comparison. Te prefers structure and order, and that tends to correlate with thought. Te, by nature of function, tends to be more practical and its attention deals more with what can be manipulated.

^ This.

Ti is a scapel, Te is a steamroller. :D