123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Change versus Compensation

Okay this may be semantics but in terms of type development I think there's an essential difference between change and compensation.

I'm an INTP and yet I have the capability to plan, empathise, be the centre of attention and still keep myself as an INTP. See I don't change into an ENFP when surrounded by a group of fun people I compensate.

I see this coming up in discussion with people who see that "changing their type" is some kind of compromise of their integrity. Perhaps if they saw it more as compensation then it'd go more favourably.

Now to define the whole compensation better I see it more as using what you have and just applying it to something different. For example although I claim to have empathy most of the time I am merely forming a causal relationship between the circumstance and outcome with reference to the database of previous experiences that I have. I reckon (can't confirm as I don't seem quite capable of walking a mile in another man's shoes) that with say an ENFJ it's more "feeling the force". Where as I can try to understand the connection between circumstance A and emotion B they understand it intuitively and know how a person feels almost as a sculptor moulds their work. I know that's a shoddy description to go with but the intuitive picture behind that is larger than I feel capable of putting into words without going into poetry.

Anyhow the concept is that it's possible to compensate and emulate but not to change. I will never be an ENFP but I can seem very like it at times and can respond to things in an ENFP manner. This is how development goes. All that advice on changing what you do is not particularly true, I think if it was more bent toward where you apply your current abilities it'd be a bit better and more applicable.

Right well I thought that was an interesting change of perspective but now it's written I'm not so sure.

Feedback appreciated.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

If change... as in function use, is initially deliberate and under your control, then I consider it merely as adaptation (compensation as you call it). I think as long as you know who you are... that your self identity does not dissociate... adapting is a good thing to have.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I see any "inferior function" exposition as compensation, not change.

This ENFJ dances at you boldly, INTPman. Show me your best moves, bro, or be bumped from the thread.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    If change... as in function use, is initially deliberate and under your control, then I consider it merely as adaptation (compensation as you call it). I think as long as you know who you are... that your self identity does not dissociate... adapting is a good thing to have.
    That was kinda the point, just said in a half cooked manner really

The thing I've seen time and again is the presence of indignation that some situation or person may require them to "change". The point of making the differentiation between change and compensation is that the person does not change to compensate. It is the same person, the same soul and the same skills being employed just with a change in focus of to what they are applied. Hence there's no need for indignation.
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I see any "inferior function" exposition as compensation, not change.
    Exposition? Interesting choice of word. Do you figure then that you are deliberately putting one of your inferior functions to the fore in these exercises then? Do you not figure that many apparent exositions of a particular function are merely your own interpretation of those functions as processed through your present preferences?
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    This ENFJ dances at you boldly, INTPman. Show me your best moves, bro, or be bumped from the thread.
    Errm the only appropriate response to that really is..

Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

I have nothing useful to add here, except maybe that the personality type is about tendencies, not about behaviour - behaviour is an alterable and superficial expression of one's current mood, or at least that's what I think. The tendencies can be manifested in various ways, and/or ignored sometimes, but they still constitute the base of the self.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Okay this may be semantics but in terms of type development I think there's an essential difference between change and compensation.

I'm an INTP and yet I have the capability to plan, empathise, be the centre of attention and still keep myself as an INTP. See I don't change into an ENFP when surrounded by a group of fun people I compensate.

I see this coming up in discussion with people who see that "changing their type" is some kind of compromise of their integrity. Perhaps if they saw it more as compensation then it'd go more favourably.

Now to define the whole compensation better I see it more as using what you have and just applying it to something different. For example although I claim to have empathy most of the time I am merely forming a causal relationship between the circumstance and outcome with reference to the database of previous experiences that I have. I reckon (can't confirm as I don't seem quite capable of walking a mile in another man's shoes) that with say an ENFJ it's more "feeling the force". Where as I can try to understand the connection between circumstance A and emotion B they understand it intuitively and know how a person feels almost as a sculptor moulds their work. I know that's a shoddy description to go with but the intuitive picture behind that is larger than I feel capable of putting into words without going into poetry.

Anyhow the concept is that it's possible to compensate and emulate but not to change. I will never be an ENFP but I can seem very like it at times and can respond to things in an ENFP manner. This is how development goes. All that advice on changing what you do is not particularly true, I think if it was more bent toward where you apply your current abilities it'd be a bit better and more applicable.

Right well I thought that was an interesting change of perspective but now it's written I'm not so sure.

Feedback appreciated.
    Oliver Sacks thought L-Dopa can make a change in catatonic patients.
    Well it didn't.

The patients did not need a drug to become catatonic in the first place.
    A motive was enough.

Certainly if you can become a catatonic, you can change type.
    A minor miracle.

You can become dissappointed in particular aspects in life.
    Or you can become disappointed in life in general.
    In the latter case you become a catatonic.

Compensation is change.
    Last edited by wildcat; 01-06-2008 at 10:22 AM.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I agree its compensation not change.

But it's very hard to behave very differently than what is natural for you. I never can be as objective as INTP's. And I really have tried to survive in NT world by trying to be one. I didn't succeed and I don't even try anymore. I am what I am.

I have known one INTP (with very strong I and T) who thought he was good with people. He thought he could make people do anything he wanted and he thought that he had excellent people skills. (He told it to me himself.) He didn't know that people noticed his intentions and people hate when being manipulated. His people skills were in fact very poor.

(I also know one INTP who is excellent with people. )

I do try to improve my weaker functions but it doesn't come naturally and it really isn't easy (but nobody said it would be).

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Exposition? Interesting choice of word. Do you figure then that you are deliberately putting one of your inferior functions to the fore in these exercises then?
    I know that my Ti will exert itself under strain AND when I desire some change. So it jumps out of the closet wearing all my clothes and waving its arms wildly when it wants to prompt a change of angle (i.e. wrest control away from a perhaps flogged Fe that's about to collapse) or when it's merely trying to compensate for said collapse of exhausted Fe. Me trying to coldly logic my way through a change is bad news.

Do you not figure that many apparent expositions of a particular function are merely your own interpretation of those functions as processed through your present preferences?
    How like a P to say such a thing. *bland infuriating smile* *pokes the bear*

Errm the only appropriate response to that really is..

Whoa! Call the fire dept! It's a disco inferno!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    I agree its compensation not change.

But it's very hard to behave very differently than what is natural for you. I never can be as objective as INTP's. And I really have tried to survive in NT world by trying to be one. I didn't succeed and I don't even try anymore. I am what I am.

I have known one INTP (with very strong I and T) who thought he was good with people. He thought he could make people do anything he wanted and he thought that he had excellent people skills. (He told it to me himself.) He didn't know that people noticed his intentions and people hate when being manipulated. His people skills were in fact very poor.

(I also know one INTP who is excellent with people. )

I do try to improve my weaker functions but it doesn't come naturally and it really isn't easy (but nobody said it would be).
    All the INTPs are excellent with people.
    All the people are not excellent with them.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    All the INTPs are excellent with people.
    All the people are not excellent with them.
    Perhaps, "All the people are not excellent to them".

Compensation is change to those who see a breakage, when others see a bending, Xander...

It is a question of perspective, isn't it, and how much one can bear. If one can flex more than another, the former would call it compensation. The latter, change.