• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can INFJs be leaders?

upamountain

MBTI Type
INFJ
My job means that I'm a leader but it definitely doesn't come naturally.

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
They can be, but I think it depends on exactly what they're a leader of.

If it has something to do with people, (teaching, social work, etc.) this is often where they'll shine. They're good at getting into people's head and pushing them in the direction they need to go, which is a leader's job after all.

If it doesn't involve people... not so much. They'll probably spend so damn long thinking about what they have to do that nothing gets done. *laughs*

upamountain

MBTI Type
INFJ
That pretty much sums me up - was a teacher and am now a principal. I can end up with long lists of things that need to be done, make a start on lots of them but then realise that something else needs to be done before I finish anything...

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
I'm not a leader in most situations, but I've noticed one where I become a leader.
When I'm in a musical band, I normally grab the reigns by the hands and shape the music into the way I want it to sound. If people try to change something I added or subtracted from the music I get very passive aggressive and almost just want to leave the situation.

I'm very invested in my music and if someone doesn't like it I feel as if it's a direct assault on myself as a person rather than just the music

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I believe they generally make excellent leaders, if not the most macro natural leadership type. Leadership seems to call for goal-oriented people(Ni) and socially able people(Fe).

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
I believe they generally make excellent leaders, if not the most macro natural leadership type. Leadership seems to call for goal-oriented people(Ni) and socially able people(Fe).

Could you explain what you mean by "macro natural leadership type"?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Could you explain what you mean by "macro natural leadership type"?

The more macro[socially] you get, the more thinking that is required. (e.g. president, prime minister, politics etc.) [also the more "N" is required]

If you were a sergeant, however, more action is required than thinking. Therefore, a type with Dominant Je would generally be more suitable for the job as they prefer Je'ing more than Pi'ing.

While INFJ's may be introverts, the introversion positively improves the depth of their ideas. Ni Dom and Fe Aux is preferred in macro-leadership. [though perhaps Ti is also required.]

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've ran for several leadership positions in school organizations, and while I didn't get voted as the head of the group (president, etc.), I had a smaller leadership position. Mostly it had something to do with the creative presentation/PR of a group, such as being the webmaster and editor of the group's newsletter. Also was student counsil representative for many years.

On the web, I'm an admin for several forums. Also being a teacher is a leader, which is the career path I have chosen. I've also ran event planning for one of the summer jobs I had.

If there's a competent leader that is doing well in working towards a vision of positive change for the group, then I will support them. But if there's a lack of leadership in an area, I'll take over.

I like leading others, just when others aren't motivated to pursue a common goal, it can be frustrating for me. I suppose I sit on the sidelines cos I'm usually afraid of putting my ideas out in the open if they aren't approached well by others.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Of course INFJs can be leaders.

Their leadership style will be different than other MBTI types, but leadership style varies from person to person on a number of different levels anyway.

Anyone who believes in themselves, believes in what they are doing, and has the will to project their beliefs into the world around them has great potential to be a leader. :yes:

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
My best friend of almost 10 years is an INFJ. She doesn't like to lead, but recently became a manager and moved up the work ladder. They had offered it to her before and she declined, but this time I think they persuaded her by showing her how she was helping out the store. It seems to me that when she is either very happy and caring, she will lead, and also when she is furious, she will take the lead -out of impatience. I think whenever a strong emotion is involved, then they are inclined to be a get-it-done leader. Very thorough and fast.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Of course INFJs can be leaders.

Their leadership style will be different than other MBTI types, but leadership style varies from person to person on a number of different levels anyway.

Anyone who believes in themselves, believes in what they are doing, and has the will to project their beliefs into the world around them has great potential to be a leader. :yes:

:yes:

some people's personalities are more leadership-oriented (ESTJ, ENFJ, e3, e8), but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be the best leaders, or that the other types are not fit to lead. like halla said, there are many different leadership styles and many different leadership roles to be taken on in life. a great CEO, for example, might make a rather shitty minister, and vice versa...

it seems to me that Is are better off/more likely to lead if they have a specific agenda or ideals, whereas Es, especially with high Fe, may end up in leadership positions because they connect people so well. an introvert may well be a better figurehead in positions that require deep consideration of other's opinions, good listening skills, keeping things on the downlow, and formal communication/expression (esp via writing or music). i suspect plenty of profs i've had are Is, and they're the ones who tend to stun you with the genius ideas they pull out of seemingly nowhere - and who may be less divulgent at first but seem very genuinely interested when they do open up.

just for the record, i have low Fe, low Ni, and have been appointed or voted to and done well in several leadership positions... so there's no telling :p i really think it's all about understanding the group you are leading, why you are in that position, and how you can use yourself to further the group agenda (and improve the group). i've tried to break down my leadership style by functions, and i'm thinking Ne is especially useful for brainstorming and what-if analysis, Ne and Fi together are useful for "reading" group atmosphere or individuals (reallyyy useful when there is tension), Fi is good for making sure we're sticking to the group's mission and values, and Te is useful for... well, pretty much everything practical. i figure it helps make up for J, lol. that and my penchant for fun-colored organizational supplies :D

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OK, so how do I 'lead'/manage a type 8?

What BlackCat said. Maybe.
Or you could get him/her to like you very much.
Then you could wrap said person around your little finger and guilt-trip them into doing whatever you want.
INFJs are great at that, no? ;)

upamountain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Thanks for the suggestions. Actually I think she does like me and no, I'm not that good at wrapping people round my little finger... at least, not deliberately.

So now my boss tells me that if I can't guarantee to control '8', I have to sack her. What are my chances? (Of being able to control her). I think I'm a 5, but get different results every time I do that test. She just stands out as an 8 with tendencies to 7.

The complication is we are kind of friends - although this is probably more due to circumstance and the fact that there are very few other options in terms of ex-pats around here.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
That's a tough spot to be in. I'm a teacher and so sympathize and will also be interested in the responses that come out of this!

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In the past when I had more energy I tended to end up in leadership positions in school settings. The two core traits that it brings out in me are organization and inspiration for others. Usually more than my share of people start by testing me and introducing power struggles. I usually respond with intentional respect and patience to break that cycle, but that part tends to wear me out. I have trouble letting go of a desire for people to act in a reasoned and empathetic manner. (I don't see those as opposite poles, but intertwining by nature because they both seek to view external data accurately, whether objective or subjective in nature.) I deliberately avoid using fear, and other external motivators because I know once it's gone, the motivation goes with it, so I try to bring about internal motivation by showing people how something is important to them individually. If I am caught up in something I see as important, it seems my public speaking can get others going.

It has been years since I led outside the context of a small group such as a classroom, but it's in there some place. I might be taking a leadership position in a charitable organization over the next year, so we'll see if I still have it.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the suggestions. Actually I think she does like me and no, I'm not that good at wrapping people round my little finger... at least, not deliberately.

So now my boss tells me that if I can't guarantee to control '8', I have to sack her. What are my chances? (Of being able to control her). I think I'm a 5, but get different results every time I do that test. She just stands out as an 8 with tendencies to 7.

The complication is we are kind of friends - although this is probably more due to circumstance and the fact that there are very few other options in terms of ex-pats around here.

I think if we had more context then it would help. But if she's your friend you may be able to reason with her more.

upamountain

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think if we had more context then it would help. But if she's your friend you may be able to reason with her more.

The main problem is she is very blunt with other people and if she thinks (probably rightly) that they aren't doing a good job, she tells them so in no uncertain terms. Then she tells me how awful they are. Then she manages to put all sorts of pressure on them so they end up running to my boss. He wants a guarantee that she won't deal with people. But as she's someone who just thinks out loud I don't know that she'll be able to control herself, let alone me control her!

Other issues for me are that she can get seen as the leader, not me. ِAnd she is a great ideas person and initiator, but she doesn't always follow through - once she's bored she wants to move onto something else, but I need her to stay in the routine of things that have to be done every day.