• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Type Do You Think Evolution Would Predispose Us Toward?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
let me help you out there:

ESTP males and ISFJ females...which is exactly what I've said before. No matter what your type, as a male, you have an inner ESTP, and females have an inner ISFJ. Our other types are just the egg shells. :D

I think I actually agree with this.

My friend who majored in Biology in college said that there's a law of Physics that change can only occur at a certain pace without there being chaos, therefore only about 10% of humans would be strong proponents of change, while the other 90% would have to preserve order so that there would not be disaster.

Of course, the ratio of MBTI types isn't 10% to 90% but I do think of her theory when I think of how there are more SJs than any other type.

I think we're all products of evolution. I don't think any one type is the be all and end all, but I think that a certain balance of personalities is necessary for human society to thrive.

I disagree with the person who said N and J would be at a disadvantage, because FJs have Fe, which is highly conducive to civilized society.

And I very much agree with all of this :). It's some sort of ecosystem where things are in balance.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The ones we have. :yes:

Evidence? The types that we already have. They got there by a process of evolution too; whether genetic or cultural is irrelevant, as we are not in a position to differentiate at present. Remember that we are above all social beings, though we may indeed experience ourselves as individuals. Each type plays its part and has a role or roles they fill particularly well in our complex societies, and in a healthy society will naturally gravitate towards them, I would suggest...

:yes:

biodiversity is key to stability and resilience of systems...

while perhaps some functions will change to adapt to the environment, and while percentages of certain types may increase or decrease, i think the variety of types will stay stable. given of course humans have defined these types and could increase/decrease that number at will, but the variety of behavior, i mean.

i also think that in certain societies, types will present differently and also be more or less popular and prevalent, like what maramalade.sunrise was getting at, nature and nurture.

No matter what your type, as a male, you have an inner ESTP, and females have an inner ISFJ. Our other types are just the egg shells. :D

can you expound upon this? :shock:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I disagree with that quite a substantial amount actually. Forgive me if I sound self righteous here, but if there is one group of people I tend to clash with or have nothing in common with it is stereotypical Se dominants

:thelook:

ConstantlyImagining

MBTI Type
INFJ

Sorry if I offended you with that. I surely do not mean all Se dominants. Someone not developing other functions beyond their dominant can lead to a lot of negative interactions with said person ,regardless of type; but majority of Se dominants that I have encountered who fit the stereotype "perfectly" tend to be astute at irking me in a way few others can. It was just a generalisation though. Regardless, if there is one type I know I am not, it is ESTP.I have had a lot of clashes with Se users in the past- they were the ones who usually derided and bullied me for being idiosyncratic and for my violation of societal gender constructs. But as I said before I do not believe all Se dominants to be like that and I see nothing intrinsically wrong with being one- it would be peccant and biggoted for me to do otherwise. Once again sorry if my phraseology misconstrued what I meant

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I only pick on bullies, because they have it coming :laugh:

if you stick around you'll realize that there are plenty of Se doms who have a lot more in common with you than you would think... I've never had a problem getting along with an INFJ despite being a Se dom :unsure:

anyways... your shadow type is an ESTP :devil:

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I disagree with that quite a substantial amount actually. Forgive me if I sound self righteous here, but if there is one group of people I tend to clash with or have nothing in common with it is stereotypical Se dominants

Exactly. Its because you feel almost like a split personality. You have those testosterone moments where you actually feel like being "a man"...and surprise surprise, you end up doing things like the ESTP suggested all along! Its almost like INFJ Males have an animus (male shadow) than a female shadow as jung claimed all males have.

can you expound upon this? :shock:

Just think of having to survive in harsh wilderness. Warring tribes who fight over food, mates, and yet are able to leverage "brotherly love" at the same time in order to survive better as a "tribe". Its right up ESTP alley! Way more so than even ESFJ males.

Any time your male instincts tell you to just "cave man it", you're having one of those testosterone moments. Surprise surprise, you then act like an immature ESTP who just takes what he wants...because he's an extroverted "doer".

Sorry if I offended you with that. I surely do not mean all Se dominants. Someone not developing other functions beyond their dominant can lead to a lot of negative interactions with said person ,regardless of type; but majority of Se dominants that I have encountered who fit the stereotype "perfectly" tend to be astute at irking me in a way few others can. It was just a generalisation though. Regardless, if there is one type I know I am not, it is ESTP.I have had a lot of clashes with Se users in the past- they were the ones who usually derided and bullied me for being idiosyncratic and for my violation of societal gender constructs. But as I said before I do not believe all Se dominants to be like that and I see nothing intrinsically wrong with being one- it would be peccant and biggoted for me to do otherwise. Once again sorry if my phraseology misconstrued what I meant

Ur assuming they are just "gender stereotypes". Im more of the opinion that they are that way for a reason. Our species evolved a meme culture that evolves as well. The culture didnt just come for no reason. Theres a reason why male stereotypes coincide with "cavemaning it" and "immature ESTPing it". You're just mad that often your "higher brain" goes against what ur "lower brain" tells you to do!

I have the same issues (as an ENFJ male).

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Babylon Candle said:
Just think of having to survive in harsh wilderness. Warring tribes who fight over food, mates, and yet are able to leverage "brotherly love" at the same time in order to survive better as a "tribe". Its right up ESTP alley! Way more so than even ESFJ males.

Any time your male instincts tell you to just "cave man it", you're having one of those testosterone moments. Surprise surprise, you then act like an immature ESTP who just takes what he wants...because he's an extroverted "doer".

ah, that's interesting. i'm not sure how much i believe the "instinct" stuff though. i don't think i have much specifically female instinct other than aw-cute-baby, insert-penis-here, and bitch-i-will-cut-you.

it does make me think about stress response though, male fight-flight and female tend-befriend. i'm still not sure those really correlate to any types in particular. why is your female type introverted, anyway? i would think that traditional female social glue would suggest E. i would tend to agree with TP and FJ otherwise, maybe...

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The ones we have. :yes:

Evidence? The types that we already have. They got there by a process of evolution too; whether genetic or cultural is irrelevant, as we are not in a position to differentiate at present. Remember that we are above all social beings, though we may indeed experience ourselves as individuals. Each type plays its part and has a role or roles they fill particularly well in our complex societies, and in a healthy society will naturally gravitate towards them, I would suggest...

Maybe, but evolution has a way of constantly diverging, creating new mutations. My guess is that most of these mutations generally don't survive, and certainly many are ill-favored. Of course, the modern world deeply limits the amount of external danger we face, so we can get by fairly safely today. But that still leaves the question: what is the type that faired the best historically, which would (if type were 100% genetic, which I will assume for simplicity's sake, and to stay on topic) be by far the most common?

Similar question: In light of relatively recent major advances in human society, what type is likely to become increasingly heavily favored down the line (if any)?

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I believe it moves toward an equilibrium dependent on external conditions and pressures on any human-formed society. This would be vastly different across cultures, change during social and economic upheaval, during war, and when the "needs" of a culture change. If anyone could point me towards a society, even a tiny tribe, dominated by a single type, I would love to take a closer look at this phenomenon in progress.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
this is just the type of threads that people start when they're fishing for reasons to feel "special" :rolli:

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
this is just the type of threads that people start when they're fishing for reasons to feel "special" :rolli:

I don't grasp your meaning or reasoning. I thought it was an interesting concept and since natural selection tends to predispose creatures to certain advantageous traits, I thought perhaps people would have ideas whether this relates to MBTI and, if so, how.

Surely, however, this thread will rank among my greatest accomplishments and my name will never be forgotten until the ending of history.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
not in that way... like when people want validation that their creativity, mental flexibility and abilities are the wave of the future and that eventually ALL humans will realize their greatness :sick:

I've seen that attitude expressed in a lot of threads that start with "what type...?"- but then again, I've been around for a while :newwink:

ConstantlyImagining

MBTI Type
INFJ
Exactly. Its because you feel almost like a split personality. You have those testosterone moments where you actually feel like being "a man"...and surprise surprise, you end up doing things like the ESTP suggested all along! Its almost like INFJ Males have an animus (male shadow) than a female shadow as jung claimed all males have.

Ur assuming they are just "gender stereotypes". Im more of the opinion that they are that way for a reason. Our species evolved a meme culture that evolves as well. The culture didnt just come for no reason. Theres a reason why male stereotypes coincide with "cavemaning it" and "immature ESTPing it". You're just mad that often your "higher brain" goes against what ur "lower brain" tells you to do!

I have the same issues (as an ENFJ male).

I actually do not feel as though I have a split personality. I also do not have these "testosterone moments" you speak of. When I mean I clash with "stereotypical ESTPs" I really mean that, we are unable to see eye to eye at all; this inability to see eye to eye is only further consolidated by me being asexual and all of them that I have met being heterosexual. I notice that a lot of guys tend to have a brotherhood mentality but I do not. I in no way see why I should believe in some universal brotherhood nor act like it- my fealty lies towards some people- parents,siblings,family,and true friends- and a lot of concepts and values. I know I irk people with that sometimes and even seem antisocial, but I am not going to feign a connection with someone nor delude myself into believing that there is one just to adhere to some banal cultural norm that I view as unreasonable and ,in some applications of it, the very cause of prejudice.

I know I neither can "survive" in the wilderness nor would like to even try. I am pretty much more of an observer than a participant, an astronomer not an astronaut. Cultural memes do not necessarily affect everyone in a manner that causes them to behave a certain way. You have to take into consideration how someone was brought up. Memes can be altered or even supplanted from culture. While I disagree with some of the more "solipsistic" elements of existentialism, I do agree with it for the most part, including that in many cases people think and behave a certain way because they choose to behave in such a way. I mad because I consider many "caveman" traits to be immoral and unjustifiable- recklessness and behaving like a reprobate when you ought to be a mature adult has NO excuse as far as I am concerned

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
If we generalize ----> xxxx

Since the evolution is about the survival of the fittest.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
If we generalize ----> xxxx

Since the evolution is about the survival of the fittest fit enough.

You don't have to be the perfect type to survive long enough to get laid and have kids.

Elemental Chaos

MBTI Type
eNXP
Enneagram
7+4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENTJ fits our society well (heard somewhere that they make the most money and yadda yadda) but I think for the sole purpose of having alot of sex leading to alot of kids that have alot of sex in their turn... in our society I think ESTP would win. But of course, if EXXP lack of caution/follow-up took over society, the XXXJs maintaining a working society would prolly gain leading to a balance (hopefully).

Last edited: