User Tag List

123 Last

Default Typing children: is it really possible?

Well, I was reading some stuff related to it at personalitypage.com.
    But, I see people saying that children doesn't have stable personality traits which can be related for the types. The site says that firstly the 1st develop, then the 2nd etc. Is it real? I stay observing my little brothers (9 and 5 years) and they display many traits which can relate to many types.

Any opinions about this?

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'd like to know this myself.

My firstborn is definitely an introvert; 2nd, extrovert; 3rd, introvert, and 4th, extrovert.

My last one shows the clearest traits--I can already guess he is will be ESTJ or ENTJ.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

*takes a deep breath. Rubs hands together. Puts hands on keyboard*

....children

Yep. It's possible.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    *takes a deep breath. Rubs hands together. Puts hands on keyboard*

....children

Yep. It's possible.
    I want to know how to!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w?

I think that some children can be typed, but overall, I believe that puberty and life experiences shape the end product (adults).
    "...Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand..." (the Skin Horse)

Quote Originally Posted by kmclaughlin View Post
    I think that some children can be typed, but overall, I believe that puberty and life experiences shape the end product (adults).
    Yep, I tend to believe it too.

I have some traits that I have since I'm a child, for example. But some others (most of them) was shaped entirely after my 14...

Maturing helps too...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I have known too many people who have been able to type their own children while very young -- some even in infancy -- to consider this impossible. Perhaps it can only be done by someone who knows the child very well, like a parent or daily caregiver.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

the personalitypage.com pages for kids are interesting to check out. they say by ages 7-12 you can assign 3 letters - all but the auxiliary, and from ages 2-6 you can typically identify E/I and J/P.

this seems true to me based on my brother. he was definitely an easily-identifiable ITP kid, and i totally identify with being an IFP kid. though i think i was F long before 7. i was the kid saving the worms in the street and sympathizing with the lopsided donut in the grocery store.

i imagine that since the point of the mbti is to pinpoint your native tendencies, there are probably critical periods in a child's development during which the functions solidify themselves. i would tend to think that functions are affected by genetics as well as the environment (in particular, the environment during that critical period.)

i would guess this because of neuronal wiring... since during the first few years, a child loses much brain cell plasticity (ability to change/become anything) in exchange for specialization, solidification and strength of connections. children also don't, as far as we know, have the ability for logical thinking from the get go, and studies on object permanence suggest that it's connected with culture - that would certainly suggest an impact on the T functions.

I think I have a lot of the same traits I had when younger.

edit: Looking at that list above, I was more like inbetween the IFP/ ESP kid.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Function theory is really designed for adults. When typing children, proceed with caution, especially with the younger ones.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.