User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    eNFP

Default Awareness meditation and conflict with N's

So I have been practicing meditation for a short time, and sometimes I wonder.
    The whole ideal of "being here" and not projecting your thoughts to the future and embracing the stillness of being present all seem like very S things. It seems that not just meditation but the lifestyle that fits best is one that does not include N tenancies.

It makes me wonder if meditation is good for your mind and body (which I think it is) does that make being an N naturally unhealthy? Should I abandon my natural tendency for looking to the future and seeing imaginary webs of thought come together for some kind of S awareness that brings peace to the search for self?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I prefer forward thinking honestly. Even when I'm contemplative (I don't really meditate, but I do activities that put me in a meditative mindset) I'm often contemplating whatever end goals may come up. The only time I've ever really been in a "here and now" mind set is while I'm biking and that's more of a "don't get hit by that car coming up from behind" sort of mentality.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    So I have been practicing meditation for a short time, and sometimes I wonder.
    The whole ideal of "being here" and not projecting your thoughts to the future and embracing the stillness of being present all seem like very S things. It seems that not just meditation but the lifestyle that fits best is one that does not include N tenancies.

It makes me wonder if meditation is good for your mind and body (which I think it is) does that make being an N naturally unhealthy? Should I abandon my natural tendency for looking to the future and seeing imaginary webs of thought come together for some kind of S awareness that brings peace to the search for self?
    It's not unhealthy in general. But like anything else, too much at the wrong time, or place, can be bad.

Life is learning to use what you have most efficiently, and for the betterment of yourself.

Good morning boys and girls. The word for the day is pretentious. Can you say pretentious? Good.

MBTI
    eNFP

You think I'm being pretentious?
    I offer you a conflict I'm having and I try my damnedest to be diplomatic and not step on anyones toes then you step on mine?
    Thanks pal

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

i have been meditating for a while as well as training yoga. i don't think it really conflicts with Ns. more like it's a relaxation period, at least for me, it helps me restart my thoughts and worries which very often mutate from something simple to all possible disasters that may occur in my life.
    but then again i hear very often from Ns that people who don't think about the future or past are happier..

MBTI
    eNFP

Yea, its a very calming practice. I guess I was wondering if it is possible to have a strong N side but still live life "in the moment".

I read Bruce Lee's book about Jeet Kune Do and I think living the way he did was very enlightened, but it seems so hard for me to strive to be like him and still embrace my natural N tendencies.

Taoism (or Bruce Lee, as you mentioned) is neither S or N (although Bruce himself could be very S in some ways, but that's beside the point. What he aspired to wasn't strictly Se). I think it transcends both. There is an emphasis in Taoism on living in the moment which could be construed as S...but Taoism also can be construed as having some of the N open-endedness like qualities too, and encourages the idea that everything is part of the whole. What is useful or makes sense somewhere may be useless elsewhere, and vice versa. In Lee's case, he expanded himself in training and didn't rely on any style. He loved new concepts, and didn't dismiss much. OTOH, he flowed completely in the moment, if it came to a fight. "Be like water".

i practice vipassana meditation. (insight meditation)
    everyday. 20-30 minutes.
    you get it right, it's like smoking a fat blunt.
    the frontal lobe elongates and ahhhh.

it's like taking your brain on a vacation.
    i dig it.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    You think I'm being pretentious?
    I offer you a conflict I'm having and I try my damnedest to be diplomatic and not step on anyones toes then you step on mine?
    Thanks pal
    Nope.

I'm being/sounding pretentious. And it bugs me sometimes.

If I thought you were being a pretentious gasbag, I would tell you.

Now...Deep breaths...In.....and out....

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Taoism (or Bruce Lee, as you mentioned) is neither S or N (although Bruce himself could be very S in some ways, but that's beside the point. What he aspired to wasn't strictly Se). I think it transcends both. There is an emphasis in Taoism on living in the moment which could be construed as S...but Taoism also can be construed as having some of the N open-endedness like qualities too, and encourages the idea that everything is part of the whole. What is useful or makes sense somewhere may be useless elsewhere, and vice versa. In Lee's case, he expanded himself in training and didn't rely on any style. He loved new concepts, and didn't dismiss much. OTOH, he flowed completely in the moment, if it came to a fight. "Be like water".
    this.

i think there are ups and downs to both, and the ideal would be able to use S when S is most useful and N when N is most useful.

for me, meditation/relaxation (my preferred forms being yoga, swimming, and massage), is a wonderful time to make my mind quiet. i am usually appreciative of certain aspects of the sensual world because i'm so aesthetic, but i only notice certain things briefly and they get filtered to low priority. when my mind shuts up, i can feel myself floating in the water and the energy in my body and the air in my lungs and everything i don't usually attend to. plus it does wonders for anxieties about the future :]

on the other hand, N is what makes me tick, i thrive on the big picture and love the challenge of finding patterns and i feel like connection is so essential to everything in life. understanding theory and abstracts can be very useful, as well as the "impressions" (gestalts would be a good term) of atmospheres and people that i can easily read. psychologically, N can be good for perspective, optimism, and flexibility.

i think S and N are both valuable and enjoyable, and are only unhealthy if used exclusively or in ways that generate negativity and fixation. i aim for fluid balance.