• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Awareness meditation and conflict with N's

Hermes

MBTI Type
eNFP
So I have been practicing meditation for a short time, and sometimes I wonder.
The whole ideal of "being here" and not projecting your thoughts to the future and embracing the stillness of being present all seem like very S things. It seems that not just meditation but the lifestyle that fits best is one that does not include N tenancies.

It makes me wonder if meditation is good for your mind and body (which I think it is) does that make being an N naturally unhealthy? Should I abandon my natural tendency for looking to the future and seeing imaginary webs of thought come together for some kind of S awareness that brings peace to the search for self?

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I prefer forward thinking honestly. Even when I'm contemplative (I don't really meditate, but I do activities that put me in a meditative mindset) I'm often contemplating whatever end goals may come up. The only time I've ever really been in a "here and now" mind set is while I'm biking and that's more of a "don't get hit by that car coming up from behind" sort of mentality.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
So I have been practicing meditation for a short time, and sometimes I wonder.
The whole ideal of "being here" and not projecting your thoughts to the future and embracing the stillness of being present all seem like very S things. It seems that not just meditation but the lifestyle that fits best is one that does not include N tenancies.

It makes me wonder if meditation is good for your mind and body (which I think it is) does that make being an N naturally unhealthy? Should I abandon my natural tendency for looking to the future and seeing imaginary webs of thought come together for some kind of S awareness that brings peace to the search for self?

It's not unhealthy in general. But like anything else, too much at the wrong time, or place, can be bad.

Life is learning to use what you have most efficiently, and for the betterment of yourself.

Good morning boys and girls. The word for the day is pretentious. Can you say pretentious? Good.

Hermes

MBTI Type
eNFP
You think I'm being pretentious?
I offer you a conflict I'm having and I try my damnedest to be diplomatic and not step on anyones toes then you step on mine?
Thanks pal

sandpaper

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
i have been meditating for a while as well as training yoga. i don't think it really conflicts with Ns. more like it's a relaxation period, at least for me, it helps me restart my thoughts and worries which very often mutate from something simple to all possible disasters that may occur in my life.
but then again i hear very often from Ns that people who don't think about the future or past are happier..

Hermes

MBTI Type
eNFP
Yea, its a very calming practice. I guess I was wondering if it is possible to have a strong N side but still live life "in the moment".

I read Bruce Lee's book about Jeet Kune Do and I think living the way he did was very enlightened, but it seems so hard for me to strive to be like him and still embrace my natural N tendencies.

KDude

Taoism (or Bruce Lee, as you mentioned) is neither S or N (although Bruce himself could be very S in some ways, but that's beside the point. What he aspired to wasn't strictly Se). I think it transcends both. There is an emphasis in Taoism on living in the moment which could be construed as S...but Taoism also can be construed as having some of the N open-endedness like qualities too, and encourages the idea that everything is part of the whole. What is useful or makes sense somewhere may be useless elsewhere, and vice versa. In Lee's case, he expanded himself in training and didn't rely on any style. He loved new concepts, and didn't dismiss much. OTOH, he flowed completely in the moment, if it came to a fight. "Be like water".

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i practice vipassana meditation. (insight meditation)
everyday. 20-30 minutes.
you get it right, it's like smoking a fat blunt.
the frontal lobe elongates and ahhhh.

it's like taking your brain on a vacation.
i dig it.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
You think I'm being pretentious?
I offer you a conflict I'm having and I try my damnedest to be diplomatic and not step on anyones toes then you step on mine?
Thanks pal

Nope.

I'm being/sounding pretentious. And it bugs me sometimes.

If I thought you were being a pretentious gasbag, I would tell you.

Now...Deep breaths...In.....and out....

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Taoism (or Bruce Lee, as you mentioned) is neither S or N (although Bruce himself could be very S in some ways, but that's beside the point. What he aspired to wasn't strictly Se). I think it transcends both. There is an emphasis in Taoism on living in the moment which could be construed as S...but Taoism also can be construed as having some of the N open-endedness like qualities too, and encourages the idea that everything is part of the whole. What is useful or makes sense somewhere may be useless elsewhere, and vice versa. In Lee's case, he expanded himself in training and didn't rely on any style. He loved new concepts, and didn't dismiss much. OTOH, he flowed completely in the moment, if it came to a fight. "Be like water".

this.

i think there are ups and downs to both, and the ideal would be able to use S when S is most useful and N when N is most useful.

for me, meditation/relaxation (my preferred forms being yoga, swimming, and massage), is a wonderful time to make my mind quiet. i am usually appreciative of certain aspects of the sensual world because i'm so aesthetic, but i only notice certain things briefly and they get filtered to low priority. when my mind shuts up, i can feel myself floating in the water and the energy in my body and the air in my lungs and everything i don't usually attend to. plus it does wonders for anxieties about the future :]

on the other hand, N is what makes me tick, i thrive on the big picture and love the challenge of finding patterns and i feel like connection is so essential to everything in life. understanding theory and abstracts can be very useful, as well as the "impressions" (gestalts would be a good term) of atmospheres and people that i can easily read. psychologically, N can be good for perspective, optimism, and flexibility.

i think S and N are both valuable and enjoyable, and are only unhealthy if used exclusively or in ways that generate negativity and fixation. i aim for fluid balance.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I've thought about this as well. I don't really meditate that often, but more like try to remind myself to be in the moment in everything I do. I mostly forget, though.

But, anyhows, if there is some Sness in the meditative activities, it might be because it was meant for the contemplative people, in other words the stereotypical Ns. I do think that if there is any point in meditation, it must transcend the functions.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yea, its a very calming practice. I guess I was wondering if it is possible to have a strong N side but still live life "in the moment".
It is possible to have strong N and be able to live life in the moment. That is, one doesn't do it all the time, or even as a primary mode of living, but one can do it at will. I agree with what Skylights described. For me, N can often bring a cacophany of thoughts, images, insights, plans, etc. etc. all at once. Meditation (which I don't practice nearly often enough) allows me to push all of them aside for a bit by focusing on the here-and-now, which perhaps paradoxically, then enables me to grasp, sort out, and make use of the N thoughts much more productively.

I wonder if S's who meditate find that it helps them tap into their N side as well. Perhaps focusing on a specific, narrow slice of immediate sensation helps them see the figurative implications and associations. Meditation almost seems like a bridge between the two, S and N.

slackinbam

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, it's true. The purpose of awareness meditation is to bring your mind more toward the present, but not in the way you think. It's to free your mind of CLUTTER. S's and N's can both have clutter, just different kinds. S's may have present or past experiences (especially negative ones) cluttering their minds, making it harder for them to concentrate and causing stress. Whereas N's will more often have "what am I gonna do" on their minds, future and possibilities clutter.

I also have just started meditating, and have found it to be very helpful in enhancing my mood, easing my worries, etc. But I still think about the future, etc after I meditate, just in a calmer and more relaxed and positive way.

That's what they mean when they say meditation brings your mind to the present moment, it means your mind is more free to focus on the present AND attend to your intuitive needs at the same more easily. In this case, "in the present" just means "not burdened or stifled by worries and concerns"

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, I can't really engage in traditional meditation because my brain cannot shut up. I really struggle to clear my mind - its like it doesn't have an off switch. I can use a sort of relaxation technique with music like I described here but that's about as close as I can get to it. For me, music is the most (perhaps the only) useful and effective way for me to dramatically alter my mental state artificially.

I have wondered the same thing about sensors and intuitors with regards to meditation. Its not that I think sensors are empty headed, but I do think they have more control over their own mental state (well at least more than me) and therefore are better at meditation.

KDude

I don't really do it. Not really because I can't shut my mind up. It's just kind of boring (personally speaking). However, I did try Tai Chi exercises at one point, as a side thing to a martial arts class I was in.. That was interesting. Kind of physically wrung me out in the same way a good massage can. Maybe I should try that again.

Music alters my mood too.. and just kicks my imagination in a lot. Not in a dramatic way or anything.. Just flashes of imagery/music sometimes provokes a narrative or storytelling in a way to me.. in a symbolic way kind of? Nothing detailed. Often helps me brainstorm, or find inspiration a little about something too. Also, lets not forget air guitar fantasies. Can't have enough of those :rolleyes:

wolfy

awsm
I don't really do it. Not really because I can't shut my mind up. It's just kind of boring (personally speaking). ...

I asked my old karate teacher if he practices meditation and he said "No, he falls asleep" I thought that was a pretty good answer.

It seems the goal of meditation moves outside of any functions.