User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Awareness meditation and conflict with N's

Senor Membrane Array

I've thought about this as well. I don't really meditate that often, but more like try to remind myself to be in the moment in everything I do. I mostly forget, though.

But, anyhows, if there is some Sness in the meditative activities, it might be because it was meant for the contemplative people, in other words the stereotypical Ns. I do think that if there is any point in meditation, it must transcend the functions.

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Yea, its a very calming practice. I guess I was wondering if it is possible to have a strong N side but still live life "in the moment".
    It is possible to have strong N and be able to live life in the moment. That is, one doesn't do it all the time, or even as a primary mode of living, but one can do it at will. I agree with what Skylights described. For me, N can often bring a cacophany of thoughts, images, insights, plans, etc. etc. all at once. Meditation (which I don't practice nearly often enough) allows me to push all of them aside for a bit by focusing on the here-and-now, which perhaps paradoxically, then enables me to grasp, sort out, and make use of the N thoughts much more productively.

I wonder if S's who meditate find that it helps them tap into their N side as well. Perhaps focusing on a specific, narrow slice of immediate sensation helps them see the figurative implications and associations. Meditation almost seems like a bridge between the two, S and N.

Junior Member Array

Yes, it's true. The purpose of awareness meditation is to bring your mind more toward the present, but not in the way you think. It's to free your mind of CLUTTER. S's and N's can both have clutter, just different kinds. S's may have present or past experiences (especially negative ones) cluttering their minds, making it harder for them to concentrate and causing stress. Whereas N's will more often have "what am I gonna do" on their minds, future and possibilities clutter.

I also have just started meditating, and have found it to be very helpful in enhancing my mood, easing my worries, etc. But I still think about the future, etc after I meditate, just in a calmer and more relaxed and positive way.

That's what they mean when they say meditation brings your mind to the present moment, it means your mind is more free to focus on the present AND attend to your intuitive needs at the same more easily. In this case, "in the present" just means "not burdened or stifled by worries and concerns"

Away with the fairies Array Southern Kross's Avatar
    4w5 so/sp

Yeah, I can't really engage in traditional meditation because my brain cannot shut up. I really struggle to clear my mind - its like it doesn't have an off switch. I can use a sort of relaxation technique with music like I described here but that's about as close as I can get to it. For me, music is the most (perhaps the only) useful and effective way for me to dramatically alter my mental state artificially.

I have wondered the same thing about sensors and intuitors with regards to meditation. Its not that I think sensors are empty headed, but I do think they have more control over their own mental state (well at least more than me) and therefore are better at meditation.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

I don't really do it. Not really because I can't shut my mind up. It's just kind of boring (personally speaking). However, I did try Tai Chi exercises at one point, as a side thing to a martial arts class I was in.. That was interesting. Kind of physically wrung me out in the same way a good massage can. Maybe I should try that again.

Music alters my mood too.. and just kicks my imagination in a lot. Not in a dramatic way or anything.. Just flashes of imagery/music sometimes provokes a narrative or storytelling in a way to me.. in a symbolic way kind of? Nothing detailed. Often helps me brainstorm, or find inspiration a little about something too. Also, lets not forget air guitar fantasies. Can't have enough of those

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I don't really do it. Not really because I can't shut my mind up. It's just kind of boring (personally speaking). ...
    I asked my old karate teacher if he practices meditation and he said "No, he falls asleep" I thought that was a pretty good answer.

It seems the goal of meditation moves outside of any functions.