• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

is this correct difference of thinking between Fe/Fi?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ok...Fe and Fi could potentially result in the same actions, but for different reasons.

Fi would help out because of intense empathy...or would walk away because of having a bad day and feeling too overwhelmed to handle helping other people.

Fe would help out because they would recognize helping as being the "right" thing to do, and I think they would be far more compelled to help, even if their mood wasn't good, whereas the Fi user might decide not to help based upon mood.

However, the Fe user might not help if they felt embarrassed about approaching a stranger, and the Fi user might feel guilty for not helping a hurting person even as they walked away.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Why do I relate more with the Fe side here ?

I think that it has something to do with a fact that I often mask Te as feeling around people

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why do I relate more with the Fe side here ?

I think that it has something to do with a fact that I often mask Te as feeling around people

Because Te can rationalize that the "right" thing is the most efficient thing to do to get by or to get people to leave you alone, despite what you actually feel.

Te + Fi = pseudo Fe

I operated mainly on Fi as a teenager, but as I got older, I learned the advantages of Te + Fi.

KDude

Fi would help out because of intense empathy...or would walk away because of having a bad day and feeling too overwhelmed to handle helping other people.

:doh:

I've done both, yeah.

Not to sound like a saint or anything, but I've identified with people's pain so much it hurt.. and I think I've gave help the best I could. On the other hand, I remember coming across a car accident.. some cars and people were already outside.. and I felt like shit for some other reason. I just sat there the whole time, waiting to go about my way. Almost everyone was helping.. or at least... gawking and talking to each other. I figured it was taken care of anyways.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Because Te can rationalize that the "right" thing is the most efficient thing to do to get by or to get people to leave you alone, despite what you actually feel.

Te + Fi = pseudo Fe

I operated mainly on Fi as a teenager, but as I got older, I learned the advantages of Te + Fi.

This is exactly what I had in mind.

redacted

I think you're overcomplicating what the functions are.

Fe to Fi is a spectrum. Fe is essentially "I need to make sure I have all relevant environmental data before making a value judgment" and Fi is "I need to make sure I think through the data I already have before making a value judgment". No one uses ONLY Fe or Fi -- it's impossible. It's not like FJs and TPs are necessarily going to react differently than FPs and TJs in every single situation.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess I'm supposed to be an Fe user and I did actually see a guy fall from his bike. I was driving. Another car clipped the back of this guy's bike and knocked him to the pavement and kept driving. I don't remember anything between seeing it happen and helping the guy up, like I don't remember getting out of my car. He fell and I was there, with no thought in between. He was skinned up and he was white in the face, and trembling, his hands were shaking, and he wouldn't let me take him to a hospital. He wouldn't even sit down for a few minutes in my car while I watched his bike. My stomach was sick and I felt lightheaded in response to seeing him so shook and scuffed up. This has got to be at least 10 years ago and I still worry about that guy and hope he was all right.

There's no gap between "he's hurt" and "I will help." Those two things happen simultaneously and it's not a choice for me. There's also no gap between he's hurt and I gasp and cringe and my stomach turns over.

Whatever that tells you...

KDude

Fe to Fi is a spectrum. Fe is essentially "I need to make sure I have all relevant environmental data before making a value judgment" and Fi is "I need to make sure I think through the data I already have before making a value judgment". No one uses ONLY Fe or Fi -- it's impossible. It's not like FJs and TPs are necessarily going to react differently than FPs and TJs in every single situation.

I don't know man. I might use it a little, but Fe is still pretty non-existent in my case - I've yet to even use it to get laid, I think? Heh.. I mean, that's a good litmus test, isn't it? And even as a kid, I'd risk pissing off my very military minded dad if I didn't stand for the national anthem or something - and when he gave me those psycho Clint Eastwood like eyes, I "thought" through it - but I still decided to remained seated (and then got pulled up by the ear instead).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I think you make a good point. I think that people can have both Fe and Fi, but will prefer one more strongly over the other.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't know man. I might use it a little, but Fe is still pretty non-existent in my case - I've yet to even use it to get laid, I think? Heh.. I mean, that's a good litmus test, isn't it? And even as a kid, I'd risk pissing off my very military minded dad if I didn't stand for the national anthem or something - and when he gave me those psycho Clint Eastwood like eyes, I "thought" through it - but I still decided to remained seated (and then got pulled up by the ear instead).

I learned to use Fe at a very young age...maybe because of being raised by an ESFJ???

But I rejected Fe MUCH more as an adolescent, I guess embracing my more natural tendency for Fi....only to start seeing the value of Fe again as an adult.

I think some Fs develop both because they have inherent Fi reasons that understand why Fe works, or inherent Fe reasons to begin embracing Fi?

redacted

But you could make an equally consistent narrative to explain that from an Fe perspective. There's too much opportunity for confirmation bias when you think about it that way.

I think you make a good point. I think that people can have both Fe and Fi, but will prefer one more strongly over the other.

Yeah I agree, people generally prefer one over another, which is why MBTI is such a cool descriptive tool!.

KDude

If I had to say it, whatever Fe I have is... basic, fundamental stuff. I mean, I'm not that stuck on myself too much or out to hurt anyone. Whether that's Fe or Fi, I don't know. On a higher level though, in the sense of how it's usually defined in MBTI, I struggle with it.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Heurf deurf.

Multiple functions mimicking other functions? Gah? Whut? It makes my mind hurt... It makes me go, "Dearest me, if only there was a way to diagnose a persons personality type by a process that evaluates the actual structuring of the brain, rather than the symptoms that are very hard to discern due to our wonderful biased perceptions of the functions and of ourselves...," and then I stroke my chin and rub my head until I fall asleep.

VagrantFarce

This is very spot on, I think.

Fe is more about recognizing feelings and determining how those feelings affect your connection with other people and furthermore, how to manage them in a way that keeps everybody in a group connected.

Fi is more about recognizing feelings and figuring out what that says about you as an individual, honoring them whether they keep the group connected or not, valuing feelings that differentiate people from their social fabric.

Why didn't the thread just end here?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok...Fe and Fi could potentially result in the same actions, but for different reasons.

Fe would help out because they would recognize helping as being the "right" thing to do, and I think they would be far more compelled to help, even if their mood wasn't good, whereas the Fi user might decide not to help based upon mood.

However, the Fe user might not help if they felt embarrassed about approaching a stranger, and the Fi user might feel guilty for not helping a hurting person even as they walked away.

I match the Fe part of what you said. Another E person brings out my Fe alot because of my introvertedness. It tends to hide alot behind uncertainty...the thing that seems to haunt us about our inferior function...our dream of one day overcoming.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Is it bad if I don't believe I have either of these functions?