• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do people assume your type is? (in real life!)

Havane

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I imagine that most people knowledgeable about the MBTI would see me as an INFJ simply because I'm warmer than your average INTJ.

Sesshoumaru

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You're probably aged enough to be a little warmer. As for me, I know no one who knows mbti that well (well, my dad knows it, he's a Ph.D in clinical anthropology, but says mbti is shallow and baseless, partly agree with him, even though I see him as an ISTP for many reasons, whoops! Went off track!)... Well, I guess people who know mbti and examined me would see me for who I am: an INTP.

Qre:us

Some kind of F. I've gotten ExFP. Their reasoning: being nice, warm, caring and attentive to the cues of others around me means I must be an "F".

No, not really.

I'm really good at reading signals from others, and responding to that to make them as comfortable as possible. I cater myself according to my company. I can be the "leader" in a group, drawing people in, where I vibe that there's some awkwardness or hesitation from the others to engage with one another. But, if I see in a group, that the others are flowing well with each other, I will be more in the background, and may seem quiet. And, besides, social dynamics intrigues and fascinates me greatly, so I love to sit back and observe.

When I engage with people, my "Fe" is on blast, so depending on the vibe of the others, I shift myself accordingly.

I am a people-person but that doesn't mean I'm F.

This ^ is usually for those that don't really know me that well.

My ENFJ best friend, who introduced me to MBTI, when she found out my type, her response, "I'm so not surprised. Finally, someone was able to capture what you're about." Psstt....as if. :dry: I'm an individual. ;)

My mother also was not surprised when she read the type profile for me. Her response: "It all makes sense now!"

Those that know me really well, and has seen a variety of examples of my thinking processes, knows that I rarely, if ever, base decisions due to my personal ties to said thing - which has actually been a big issue in the past for a lot of friends of mine. Most notable issue surrounding this: my "loyalty" to them had often been called into question - as I will stick by a decision because it's fair, even if it goes against my "loyalty" to them.

Edit, a curious thought: IRL, there is this one friend, who others sometimes remark, that we're very similar to one another [on the surface]. She is actually ISFP. I can see how others think that [we have a skit b/w us, called "The Kangaroo Dance" - yes, it's exactly what you imagine, us dancing like kangaroos], but, again, if they get to know us more deeply, the differences are world's apart.

Online, I have no idea how I come across, but I'd guess I may seem "true to type". (ew?)

MafiaAngel180

MBTI Type
ENFP
One time I had my sister and cousin take the MBTI test like they were taking it with me in mind. And twice they got ENTP.

However, there are a couple of people who think that I'm introverted. (They aren't MBTI saavy.) But though I have my introverted moments, this really wouldn't make sense because they know how I act. I introduce myself to everyone at parties, who I don't even know. And I tell jokes to strangers at bars. And I am always trying to make people comfortable and have fun....and it doesn't tax my reserves as much as it would tax theirs.

Sesshoumaru

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
One time I had my sister and cousin take the MBTI test like they were taking it with me in mind. And twice they got ENTP.

However, there are a couple of people who think that I'm introverted. (They aren't MBTI saavy.) But though I have my introverted moments, this really wouldn't make sense because they know how I act. I introduce myself to everyone at parties, who I don't even know. And I tell jokes to strangers at bars. And I am always trying to make people comfortable and have fun....and it doesn't tax my reserves as much as it would tax theirs.

But the introvert/extravert in MBTI refers to take the whatever main function reasoning from the inside/outside. However, it's usually the same as the other meaning for those words. This comment is just for you to make sure what is/are the meaning(s) that apply, and reconsider the possibilities...

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I have no idea. My father thought I was an SP after reading a book I gave him. My mom doesn't know much about it. I act extremely INTP around her though. She'd probably think I was an F though. A friend of mine who I introduced this theory too agreed with my ENTP-ness. No one else cares enough to type me, or anyone, or themselves it's weird to discuss this with people. I don't know why though, most people are too skeptical to allow it into their thinking processes (Ironic, isn't it?).

pseudoku

MBTI Type
xNTp
my parents/people who have known me for a long time but don't see me as much now assume i'm an I

friends i spend moderate time with tend to think i'm some sort of ENxx
some friends think i'm more I
most people agree i'm T and P

i'm very hard to type... i'm kind of complex. i've gotten anything from enfp, entj, istp, intp, entp from people...

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm really good at reading signals from others, and responding to that to make them as comfortable as possible. I cater myself according to my company. I can be the "leader" in a group, drawing people in, where I vibe that there's some awkwardness or hesitation from the others to engage with one another. But, if I see in a group, that the others are flowing well with each other, I will be more in the background, and may seem quiet. And, besides, social dynamics intrigues and fascinates me greatly, so I love to sit back and observe.

I noticed this. You let conversations and interactions breathe very well when they're sustaining, but the moment the fire begins to die, you're right there.

When I engage with people, my "Fe" is on blast, so depending on the vibe of the others, I shift myself accordingly.

I am a people-person but that doesn't mean I'm F.

This ^ is usually for those that don't really know me that well.

My ENFJ best friend, who introduced me to MBTI, when she found out my type, her response, "I'm so not surprised. Finally, someone was able to capture what you're about." Psstt....as if. :dry: I'm an individual. ;)

My mother also was not surprised when she read the type profile for me. Her response: "It all makes sense now!"

Those that know me really well, and has seen a variety of examples of my thinking processes, knows that I rarely, if ever, base decisions due to my personal ties to said thing - which has actually been a big issue in the past for a lot of friends of mine. Most notable issue surrounding this: my "loyalty" to them had often been called into question - as I will stick by a decision because it's fair, even if it goes against my "loyalty" to them.

Edit, a curious thought: IRL, there is this one friend, who others sometimes remark, that we're very similar to one another [on the surface]. She is actually ISFP. I can see how others think that [we have a skit b/w us, called "The Kangaroo Dance" - yes, it's exactly what you imagine, us dancing like kangaroos], but, again, if they get to know us more deeply, the differences are world's apart.

ENP for you, is pretty evident. F vs T for you is going to be hard to discern quickly partly because ENPs share interaction styles, and it takes a while to really see how you make personal decisions since it's an introverted process. However, I noticed that your focus when interacting is generally oriented to the particular processes and principles by which the topic works, not necessarily the personal issues involved. Your focus tends to be the system, not the person.

Online, I have no idea how I come across, but I'd guess I may seem "true to type". (ew?)

Yep. Sorry. ;)

rav3n

There aren't too many people in my life who have much to say about MBTI or Jungian theory in general. But of the ones who have an inkling, they're not at all surprised that I'm an ENTJ.

Qre:us

Thanks Jock for the response, esp. as you've seen how I come across IRL.

I noticed this. You let conversations and interactions breathe very well when they're sustaining, but the moment the fire begins to die, you're right there.

Flow. Preserve the flow. :D

I'm trying to get better with letting awkwardness just....be......rather than thinking it needs to somehow be "fixed", as soon as I recognize it. As, much can come out of seeing how awkwardness finally works itself out.

ENP for you, is pretty evident. F vs T for you is going to be hard to discern quickly partly because ENPs share interaction styles, and it takes a while to really see how you make personal decisions since it's an introverted process. However, I noticed that your focus when interacting is generally oriented to the particular processes and principles by which the topic works, not necessarily the personal issues involved. Your focus tends to be the system, not the person.

Hmmm, good point about "interaction style" which could explain why I got such commentary of ExFP [as ESFPs and ENFPs fall within that category].

As for the bolded, very true. Whenever I aim to understand something, I need to see how it works as a system, as a whole, and the person is just one [notable] variable in that equation (usually in terms of the contribution of their own, unique perception). They're not THE equation. :yes:

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
It's hard to say because I have met few people who know MBTI well enough to be able to tell me what they thought I was. But the few I have met have told me they thought I was INFP, ENFP, ENFJ or INTP.

The most common assumption is ENFJ. People think I'm extraverted because I'm relatively comfortable in a wide variety of social situations, but I am a strong introvert. Just seeing people, whether it's my good friend or an annoying stranger, can get exhausting for me.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

To me, what she just said sounds like she lives and breathes Fe -- making her a Ti/Fe type. Fi types are generally not as aware of the emotional atmosphere around them, nor too adept at manipulating it (with the possible exception of ESFPs, who substitute Se). Therefore, ENTP.

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
I think I give off the impression of E, N, T, and possibly J, though usually not all at once. A lot of people are surprised I'm an introvert these days, for sure.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
I've never asked how people perceive me...at least in MBTI terms. However two recent comments from people who don't know me well:

Perception: I seem a lot like my significant other (INFP) - introverted and quiet.
Reality: It's my SO's sports friends and all they talk about sports so I have little to add to their conversations and don't want to change the conversation to be about shoes, PMS or feelings :yim_rolling_on_the_

Perception: I act like the guy in relationships - logical and cold (so I guess more Tish) :shock:
Reality: I act "the guy" in the begininning of relationships - I am cautious and look for red flags, but once I am in, I'm all in and very sweet and nurturing (Hey, you gotta earn it :newwink:)

I wouldn't think that anyone who knew me well would think either of these things.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I think when it comes to the question its more asking. What vibe do you give off. I don't think its about typing you *accurately* since few people who are aware of MBTI are adept enough at function and cognitive theory to be accuarate - also its technically unethical to type people outsode of them being tested professionally. :p

I think the biggest differences between perception and reality will be e vs I and f vs t. Typology is asbout how you are on the inside so you could say its unobservable.

Having said that folks would probably say xntp or exfp depending on where they met me.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To my recollection, there have only been two people outside of this site who have known enough about types and about me to be able to even guess at mine. When I found out my sister had a clue about MBTI, she guessed that I was INFP, but INTP didn't surprise her too much. A long-time online friend who I sort of trick into having typological conversations thinks that I seem more INTJ.

The problem isn't just the unfamiliarity with typing, it is that very few people out there know anything about me. All most people see is "some sort of introvert." Only those who know me online would have any doubt on the I/E divide...

Serenes

MBTI Type
INFP
What do people in your life assume your type is?

I act differently for a range of people.. but with people I have things in common with and enjoy, I bet they view me as -> ExFP
with strangers, I'm very quiet and keep to myself, so I probably appear -> IxFx
A friend who knew about personality types predicted me as ESFP

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The problem isn't just the unfamiliarity with typing, it is that very few people out there know anything about me. All most people see is "some sort of introvert." Only those who know me online would have any doubt on the I/E divide...
Yes. People know either too little about MBTI, or too little about me; or both. The few exceptions have typed me mostly as INTJ, once as ISTJ, and once as ENTJ.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ENFP, ESFP, ENFJ, INFJ, and ISFx, depending on who you ask.

However, I'm not sure that anyone with extensive knowledge of MBTI has been around me regularly enough IRL for any of these to be accurate.

The most common seemed to be ENFP or ENFJ.

ENFP seems to be the most reliable with IRL combined with people who have chatted with me a lot in real time.