User Tag List

View Poll Results: How many different results have you received on MBTI tests?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll

24 17.78%

28 20.74%

34 25.19%

19 14.07%

12 8.89%

5 3.70%

3 2.22%

5 3.70%

2 1.48%

1 0.74%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

1 0.74%

0 0%

1 0.74%
12311 Last

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Default Tell us about your MBTI testing experience

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I have scored 9 different types over the years. I think someone else mentioned they scored 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    The latest MBTI versions use facets. The facets reveal more of the person. ....Makes me wonder what results we'd all get, using all the versions of MBTI that ever existed.

As Jaguar has reminded us, MBTI is a system of 'facets' or one that employs a wide range of different personality descriptions to characterize one particular type. Furthermore, MBTI descriptions are often vague and vary from one version to another.

For these reasons, many MBTI users believe that they can identify with many different types and do not know what type they should regard as the most descriptively accurate. We also know that MBTI online tests ask very vague questions the answers to which are often contingent on a person's transient circumstances such as social environment, job title, mood and the impact of recent experiences. I invite you to take a poll where you may indicate how many different results you've received on MBTI tests and to brainstorm what, if anything, could be done to make a more reliable test.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Ten years ago I took a (free) online MBTI test and was typed as ENTJ; my wife took the same test at the same time and was typed as INTJ.

Two years ago we both took a (not-free) comprehensive personality test from : PhD-certified Personality Test - Most Detailed Online Assessment (which was developed by phD's) and I was typed ESTP, and she was typed INFJ.

In our cases the differences in the results are actually quite reasonable. From my footer:

SENSING (S) 60% ||| intuitive (n) 40%
    PERCEIVING (P) 51.43% ||| judging (j) 48.57%

I'm nearly balanced in N/S and P/J, and so it's not unbelievable that I could test as one or the other in either function, especially on two different tests with a ten year history threat.

My wife's results are similarly believable, her scores on I, N, and J are very strong, but on T/F she is nearly balanced.

So, in some cases variance as we have experienced does not appear out of order.

Do you think it possible for a person to test as the same type on other (non-folk) typology tests, possibly based on a system "superior" to MBTI?

Do you think it plausible for the same person to test as the same type on the same test with a decade in between administrations of the tests?

Do you think any typology system is 100% accurate?

If so, do you think a test that is 100% accurate and 100% reflective of a 100% accurate typology system can be developed?
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I have tested as 7 different types over the course of my testing life... very rarely do I get the right result! my most common result is INTP, which is obviously not true :rolli: I also get ENTP, INFP, ENFP, INTJ, ISTP and ENTJ
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I've only received INFP. When I take an mbti test (I've taken a lot of them, some several times), I know what each question is asking. Most mbti tests ask the same exact questions, just re-worded, and repeated. Unless you're unclear on your type and the test you're taking isn't a 'standard' mbti test, I don't see why anyone would get a different result unless they fudged it.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Do you think it possible for a person to test as the same type on other (non-folk) typology tests, possibly based on a system "superior" to MBTI?
    Do I think it is possible for a person to receive the same personality test result in every assessment? I would think that this would be the most likely to happen for the Big 5 Assessment as the behaviors people of the Big Five types exhibit tend to remain consistent and easily measured. However, the test would need to emphasize people's behaviors that do reflect their typical behavioral inclinations. I noticed that some tests ask people questions like 'do you vote liberal or conservative' and your answer is supposed to determine whether you have high or low open-ness. In addition to that, I'd think that in order to receive the same results on a legitimate personality assessment, the test-taker would have to be self-aware and avoid changing his answers on the basis of transient circumstances, fleeting moods or conformity to his or her new social group. Lastly, somebody could get the same score by learning how the test works and convincing him or herself that they do have the type that they desire. For example, on INTPc we may observe people manipulating the testing system so they may 'come out as INTPs'.

Altogether, I think that self-aware people who take Big Five tests that ask questions about general behaviors rather than specific or idiosyncratic actions are likely to get the same result on every assessment. The fact that a personality system aficionado can get any result he'd like to get on every assessment is just an unfortunate example of a lethal flaw of all personality testing systems. Although some tests could prove to be reliable by documenting many test-takers who always get the same results, we should accept that fact with a grain of salt as we don't know if the test-takers are manipulating system. Thus far I was unable to think of a personality examination that is very difficult to manipulate.

Do you think any typology system is 100% accurate?:
    I'd think that the typology systems that are humble and limited in scope or describe very simple personality qualities that are directly observable tend to be more accurate than those that are ambitious and speculative. For example, one reason the Big Five system is more accurate than MBTI is because it describes very simple features such as Conscientiousness and Openness. All Conscientiousness refers to is how diligent or task-committed a person tends to be on most occassions and all openness refers to is how open to new experiences people tend to be. MBTI on the other hand deals with incredibly complex abstractions such as Intuition which is sometimes referred to as big picture thinking, creativity, pattern recognition, abstract problem solving and even intelligence sometimes. Even more importantly, its much easier to empirically observable how open to novelty or conscientious someone is than to see how 'Intuitive' or creative/adept at big picture thinking or pattern recognition he or she may be.

I can't certify that Big 5 describes the personality features that all people have with impeccable accuracy, but it is the consensus of professional psychologists that its more accurate than MBTI.

If so, do you think a test that is 100% accurate and 100% reflective of a 100% accurate typology system can be developed?
    I'd have to say that this test would be neurological and that's the only assessment that could vindicate Jungian typology. Such an examination could tell us where a person's unconscious dispositions lie. I think its possible to develop some very accurate tests that are non-neurological, but they won't yield accurate results in every case, as after all, there will be human error on behalf of administrators and test-takers. We could devise the kind of a test that would accurately type people in the event where the administrators and the test-takers did not make mistakes. I would guess that the test would have to ask people strictly about their general behaviors and would be the most appropriate within the context of the Big 5 system.

Quote Originally Posted by SNUGGLETRON View Post
    Unless you're unclear on your typefudged it.
    It's difficult for many people to be clear about their type because types are often defined in a vague and an incoherent fashion. In many cases one personality description fits multiple types very well.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

I have only tested as INFP until very, very recently. A month ago, I started taking various MBTI tests, simply experimenting, and repeatedly got INTP and occasionally INTJ as my type. Despite those results, I do still believe I am solidly an INFP

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Always get the same result but the preferences have moderated over the years.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

So far: INTP, ENTP, ENFP, INFP, INFJ, INTJ.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

7 different types I believe....

I most often type some sort of SP, ESTP being most common I think.

ESFP, ESTP, ISFP, ENFP, INFP, ESFJ, ESTJ

(how one person's mood can vary from INFP to ESTJ baffles me.)

It would have been more streamline if the questions were more specific
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Altogether, I think that self-aware people who take Big Five tests that ask questions about general behaviors rather than specific or idiosyncratic actions are likely to get the same result on every assessment. The fact that a personality system aficionado can get any result he'd like to get on every assessment is just an unfortunate example of a lethal flaw of all personality testing systems. Although some tests could prove to be reliable by documenting many test-takers who always get the same results, we should accept that fact with a grain of salt as we don't know if the test-takers are manipulating system. Thus far I was unable to think of a personality examination that is very difficult to manipulate.
    Interesting! I've never taken a Big 5 test. I will do that soon to see how it compares to the other tests I have taken...

I'd think that the typology systems that are humble and limited in scope or describe very simple personality qualities that are directly observable tend to be more accurate than those that are ambitious and speculative. For example, one reason the Big Five system is more accurate than MBTI is because it describes very simple features such as Conscientiousness and Openness. All Conscientiousness refers to is how diligent or task-committed a person tends to be on most occassions and all openness refers to is how open to new experiences people tend to be. MBTI on the other hand deals with incredibly complex abstractions such as Intuition which is sometimes referred to as big picture thinking, creativity, pattern recognition, abstract problem solving and even intelligence sometimes. Even more importantly, its much easier to empirically observable how open to novelty or conscientious someone is than to see how 'Intuitive' or creative/adept at big picture thinking or pattern recognition he or she may be.
    I agree, the more abstract a concept, the higher the chance for it to be interpreted differently by different people. Keeping things simple is best whenever possible...

I can't certify that Big 5 describes the personality features that all people have with impeccable accuracy, but it is the consensus of professional psychologists that its more accurate than MBTI.
    Interesting! Does it have as a big a "following" as MBTI?
    Not that the size of a given conept's following is indicative of its quality, just a joke.

I'd have to say that this test would be neurological and that's the only assessment that could vindicate Jungian typology. Such an examination could tell us where a person's unconscious dispositions lie. I think its possible to develop some very accurate tests that are non-neurological, but they won't yield accurate results in every case, as after all, there will be human error on behalf of administrators and test-takers. We could devise the kind of a test that would accurately type people in the event where the administrators and the test-takers did not make mistakes. I would guess that the test would have to ask people strictly about their general behaviors and would be the most appropriate within the context of the Big 5 system.
    I'd love to take a neurological typological test, and agree with you that it would indeed be the uiltimate vehicle for maximizing accuracy and minimizing gaming by participants. It's kind of hard to make your body's tissues fake their composition, eh?
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro