User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 11

  1. #1
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default Biggest problems in typing - People mistyping themselves

    This thread (and several other threads I have read) made me wonder about two things that relate to typing people.

    1) What are the biggest problems you have encountered when typing people?

    2) Why do you think so many people mistype themselves or cannot figure out their true types?

  2. #2
    Wannabe genius Splittet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    2) Why do you think so many people mistype themselves or cannot figure out their true types?
    I think it is a big problem many know next to nothing about function theory.

  3. #3
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    1) What are the biggest problems you have encountered when typing people?
    - Inaccurate or highly subjective personal description.
    - The data offered is not indicative of the whole person or is only a partial set.
    - The challenge to someone's self-identity, if assumed type does not match what the type actually seems to be.

    Most of these difficulties are alleviated by interacting with people in person, rather than through an online (or other incomplete) medium.

    2) Why do you think so many people mistype themselves or cannot figure out their true types?
    - Apparent inequity in the typing system that makes one type look more/less attractive than another.

    - Unclear terminology or terminology with social/emotional baggage attached.

    - Confusion between observable behavior vs internal motivations.

    - Type being concluded on the basis of non-conclusive observations or non-holistic data points. (Rather like the "If the person's eyes flick right when answering a question, this means 100% they're lying." Poppycock.) Type must be considered holistically. The details working together, taken in context of each other, is what pinpoints type.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #4
    Luctor et emergo Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    1) What are the biggest problems you have encountered when typing people?
    Personally, it's either that I don't hold enough information about them, and that (perhaps) they refuse to share further info about themselves in order to help me type them i.e. they are a mystery to me, or it's a case of their not taking on board my advice or being too uncertain about themselves and their habits for them to understand who they are. In essence, it's never my fault.

    2) Why do you think so many people mistype themselves or cannot figure out their true types?
    Here's a quality post from the16types to illustrate the answer to this question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    You know what's revealing, XoX?

    You type yourself just as if you were typing another person. You don't look inside yourself, inside your own thoughts, with the unique perspective that only we can have about ourselves. You look at yourself from the outside. You type yourself as if you were holding a mirror. It sort of makes sense that you are more confident in typing others than yourself: it's easier to see others from a distance, from the outside, than oneself. Rather than look into your own heart, or soul, to try to see if you prefer Fi or Fe, you look at yourself from the point of view of external behavior, trying to see if you react more like Fi or Fe is supposed to react.

    And that is what some others in this forum are also doing, even if they're being less honest about it than you.

    That's your answer.

  5. #5
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    -- Apparent inequity in the typing system that makes one type look more/less attractive than another.

    - Unclear terminology or terminology with social/emotional baggage attached.

    - Confusion between observable behavior vs internal motivations.

    - Type being concluded on the basis of non-conclusive observations or non-holistic data points. (Rather like the "If the person's eyes flick right when answering a question, this means 100% they're lying." Poppycock.) Type must be considered holistically. The details working together, taken in context of each other, is what pinpoints type.
    Thanks for the excellent analysis! You put it to words what I have been wondering!

  6. #6
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,352

    Default

    In my experience, people end up mis-typing themselves because they don't know themselves well enough, or they don't know enough people who are opposite of themselves, or they don't understand the framework in which the questions are couched.

  7. #7
    Highly Hollow Wandering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    I think it is a big problem many know next to nothing about function theory.
    Agreed.

    [rant]

    The 4 dichotomies irritate the heck out of me, because they are not only incredibly approximative, but they also completely betray the spirit of MBTI/Jungian typology. Only function theory can accurately help someone determine what type they are most likely to be.

    Me, for example: I am *constantly* getting typed as an INFP by tests and such. And indeed, if you look at how so-called Perceivers are supposed to be determined, I fall squarely into that category. And yet I am most definitely an INFJ! I may be laid back and spontaneous and always procrastinating and unable to make snap decisions and so on, but I'm still an INFJ.

    But then, of course, INFJs DO have a Perceiving function as their Dominant function...

    Only by learning about the functions did I realise that, DUH, I am very clearly DomNi and AuxFe and TerTi! And thus, an INFJ.

    [/rant]

    As to why I never seem to manage to type other people: it's usually because I know them too well and not well enough at the same time. Typing near-strangers is easy, because I only need to look at the few clues laid out in front of me and find the most likely pattern to link them all. Obviously, though, the risk of mis-typing them is extremely high, precisely because the number of clues is so reduced. But typing people I know well is almost impossible for me, because for every detail that would go one way, I can think of another that would go the other way.

  8. #8
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    The 4 dichotomies irritate the heck out of me, because they are not only incredibly approximative, but they also completely betray the spirit of MBTI/Jungian typology. Only function theory can accurately help someone determine what type they are most likely to be.

    Me, for example: I am *constantly* getting typed as an INFP by tests and such. And indeed, if you look at how so-called Perceivers are supposed to be determined, I fall squarely into that category. And yet I am most definitely an INFJ! I may be laid back and spontaneous and always procrastinating and unable to make snap decisions and so on, but I'm still an INFJ.
    I'm not too familiar of the function theory because I started my MBTI journey by reading Keirsey's books. I'm currently reading Gift's differing from where I read that the second function (extrovert function) of introverts is the one which is visible. That was very interesting new thought for me.

    So, when trying to type introverted people I should remember the second function of each introvert type and identify introverts by their extroverted function. This new knowledge makes me want to order some function related MBTI books so I can study more about the functions!

  9. #9
    Highly Hollow Wandering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    I'm currently reading Gift's differing from where I read that the second function (extrovert function) of introverts is the one which is visible.
    Exactly. The type (Judging or Perceiving) of the Dominant function of Extraverts is directly the one indicated by their P/J letter, but it is the other way around for Introverts. IPs *appear* as Perceivers on the outside, because they Extravert a Perceiving function, but at heart, their Dominant function is a Judging one. And vice versa for IJs.

    This is how you can run into big problems, most especially with Introverts, when 4-dichotomies tests fail to accurately separate the inside persona from the outside persona, and mis-attribute traits.

    (Another, totally unrelated problem, at least in my eyes, is that most questions geared at determining J, actually test for TJ and very little for FJ.)

    So, when trying to type introverted people I should remember the second function of each introvert type and identify introverts by their extroverted function. This new knowledge makes me want to order some function related MBTI books so I can study more about the functions!
    Good studies !

  10. #10
    Aspie Idealist TaylorS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni
    Posts
    365

    Default

    I think a lot of people mistype P vs. J because most MBTI tests treat all 4 letters as independent dichotomies instead of notations for Jungian function order, thus often mistyping well-organized Ps and messy Js.

    EDIT: Gah, Wandering beat me...
    Autistic INFP


Similar Threads

  1. Why do people have a problem with people mistyping themselves?
    By greenfairy in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 341
    Last Post: 09-05-2012, 09:30 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Do you like your own type in other people?
    By gigi_xo in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 10:21 PM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 04:14 PM
  4. How to quickly type people in the real world.
    By Kleinheiko in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 04:11 AM
  5. Help in typing few people
    By alcea rosea in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 10:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO