User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Default INTPs - why do they love fancy-shmancy snooty debates?

:steam: :eek: :jofticon_1:

Ah, emoticons. That hopefully scared off all the INTPs. Now we can slam discuss them in peace.

All types love their debates, and all types have debate snobs, but what's the deal with the INTPs?

"Ad hominem", "logical fallacies" "red herring" "strawman argument" "circular fallacy" "Scrotum reasoning" BLAH all of this Harvard latin jargon...

Is all of that? (Sorry, just had to get rid of any INTP scragglers...) They will go ON and ON with their snooty armchair philosophy legal studies debates, and the only red herrings I know of belong in my SAMMICH.

I'm supposed to be reading poems for homework tomorrow... YAY procrastination!
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Politically Correct Disclaimer: This is not representative of all INTPs nor is it exclusive to INTPs. INTJs are guilty of this as well, to a lesser degree.
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Truth. Trying to find out why things are they way they are. Collecting information on as many ideas and concepts as possible in an effort to piecemeal some sort of meaning out of all the intellectual white noise that comes from sloppy thinking.

Debates help to identify weakness in reason. Help to sharpen perspective around defensible opinion.

Besides, conformity is temporary. Just means you've yet to better define your terms.

Hence the endemic need for debate - progress.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Psssst! Don´t let them hear that!
    My standard-INTP of reference could give you either a 3 hour speech or debate you to death (your choice) on why debates for the sake of debates are pointless and debating societies in general are an idle waste of time. In fact, he might not only debate you to death on why debates for the sake of debates suck, he might even tell you why he is sick of debating the value of debates (with noticeable pleasure, that is) while bathing in MetaAnalysis Bubble Bath (tm) until his skin gets all wrinkled.

Gotta love them.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

i think many of them use fancy words like that more than they normally would just to live up to the smartsy intp image

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I don't often use many logical terms. Most of the time people understand the reasoning better when it is explained normally rather than using the term for the situation.
    I actually have to hold myself back from pointing out inaccuracies in reasoning much of the time. I end up in many debates because such inaccuracies stick out like sore thumbs and many times can hinder my understanding of what the person is trying to say.
    Such thoughts are what are going through my head constantly. When asked about my reactions or thoughts, I would be lying to talk about anything else.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

I can never wrap my mind around why English speakers have so much trouble memorizing long or unusual terms. When most anglophones can't even be bothered to learn a second language, like many other people of the world, it baffles me as to how learning a few Latin words is almost physically painful to them. Just putting it out there.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

What's wrong with using the technical term for logical fallacies? You might as well call it what it is.

Also, I might as well admit maybe a tiny part of the reason I use those terms may possibly be because it makes me feel fancy. Maybe. Only a tiny bit. It's mostly because you might as well call a spade a spade. I swear.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    "Ad hominem", "logical fallacies" "red herring" "strawman argument" "circular fallacy" "Scrotum reasoning" BLAH all of this Harvard latin jargon...
    It's because rather than going through the boring and lengthy process of explaining in great detail what's wrong with someone's reasoning, it's sometimes better to tell them in a more economical manner so that they can work it out for themselves if they actually care. It also conserves energy that could be better spent on something actually interesting or fun, which is of vital importance for the typical INTP.

Of course if you didn't indulge in faulty reasoning in the first place, you wouldn't have to worry about being criticised for it, would you?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    I can never wrap my mind around why English speakers have so much trouble memorizing long or unusual terms. When most anglophones can't even be bothered to learn a second language, like many other people of the world, it baffles me as to how learning a few Latin words is almost physically painful to them. Just putting it out there.
    1. Because there's too many words to expect everyone to know them all, do you not realize how many words exist in the English language, never mind the idioms etc. I only first heard of these obscure terms here on TypeC.

2. How many times have you had to hear/use the term "strawman fallacy" in your professional/social life?

3. Actually, I *am* learning a second language. Actually, I'm learning 3 at once. So the last thing on my agenda is to learn about .
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN: