• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTPs - why do they love fancy-shmancy snooty debates?

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:steam: :violin: :angry: :smoke: :eek: :duel: :rules: :BangHead: :jofticon_1: :tongue10: :nono: :dry: :thumbdown: :glasses: :glasses: :glasses: :worthy: :thelook: :strawman: :girlfight: :redherring: :2ar15: :chillpill::moodeath: :jesus: :spam_laser: :popc1: :2up: :yay:

Ah, emoticons. That hopefully scared off all the INTPs. :wink: Now we can slam discuss them in peace.

All types love their debates, and all types have debate snobs, but what's the deal with the INTPs?

"Ad hominem", "logical fallacies" "red herring" "strawman argument" "circular fallacy" "Scrotum reasoning" BLAH all of this Harvard latin jargon...

:wtf: Is all of that? (Sorry, just had to get rid of any :ninja: INTP scragglers...) They will go ON and ON with their snooty armchair philosophy legal studies debates, and the only red herrings I know of belong in my SAMMICH.

I'm supposed to be reading poems for homework tomorrow... :ninja: YAY procrastination!

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Politically Correct Disclaimer: This is not representative of all INTPs nor is it exclusive to INTPs. INTJs are guilty of this as well, to a lesser degree.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Truth. Trying to find out why things are they way they are. Collecting information on as many ideas and concepts as possible in an effort to piecemeal some sort of meaning out of all the intellectual white noise that comes from sloppy thinking.

Debates help to identify weakness in reason. Help to sharpen perspective around defensible opinion.

Besides, conformity is temporary. Just means you've yet to better define your terms.

Hence the endemic need for debate - progress.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Psssst! Don´t let them hear that!
My standard-INTP of reference could give you either a 3 hour speech:soapbox: or debate you to death (your choice) on why debates for the sake of debates are pointless and debating societies in general are an idle waste of time. In fact, he might not only debate you to death on why debates for the sake of debates suck, he might even tell you why he is sick of debating the value of debates (with noticeable pleasure, that is) while bathing in MetaAnalysis Bubble Bath (tm) until his skin gets all wrinkled.

Gotta love them.

bobby

i think many of them use fancy words like that more than they normally would just to live up to the smartsy intp image

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't often use many logical terms. Most of the time people understand the reasoning better when it is explained normally rather than using the term for the situation.
I actually have to hold myself back from pointing out inaccuracies in reasoning much of the time. I end up in many debates because such inaccuracies stick out like sore thumbs and many times can hinder my understanding of what the person is trying to say.
Such thoughts are what are going through my head constantly. When asked about my reactions or thoughts, I would be lying to talk about anything else.

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I can never wrap my mind around why English speakers have so much trouble memorizing long or unusual terms. When most anglophones can't even be bothered to learn a second language, like many other people of the world, it baffles me as to how learning a few Latin words is almost physically painful to them. Just putting it out there.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
What's wrong with using the technical term for logical fallacies? You might as well call it what it is.

Also, I might as well admit maybe a tiny part of the reason I use those terms may possibly be because it makes me feel fancy. Maybe. Only a tiny bit. It's mostly because you might as well call a spade a spade. I swear.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
"Ad hominem", "logical fallacies" "red herring" "strawman argument" "circular fallacy" "Scrotum reasoning" BLAH all of this Harvard latin jargon...
It's because rather than going through the boring and lengthy process of explaining in great detail what's wrong with someone's reasoning, it's sometimes better to tell them in a more economical manner so that they can work it out for themselves if they actually care. It also conserves energy that could be better spent on something actually interesting or fun, which is of vital importance for the typical INTP.

Of course if you didn't indulge in faulty reasoning in the first place, you wouldn't have to worry about being criticised for it, would you? :tongue:

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can never wrap my mind around why English speakers have so much trouble memorizing long or unusual terms. When most anglophones can't even be bothered to learn a second language, like many other people of the world, it baffles me as to how learning a few Latin words is almost physically painful to them. Just putting it out there.

1. Because there's too many words to expect everyone to know them all, do you not realize how many words exist in the English language, never mind the idioms etc. I only first heard of these obscure terms here on TypeC.

2. How many times have you had to hear/use the term "strawman fallacy" in your professional/social life?

3. Actually, I *am* learning a second language. Actually, I'm learning 3 at once. So the last thing on my agenda is to learn about :redherring: .

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Isn't it the ENTP who loves to debate and argue, they'd probably get off debating more than an INTP, right?

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1. Because there's too many words to expect everyone to know them all, do you not realize how many words exist in the English language, never mind the idioms etc. I only first heard of these obscure terms here on TypeC.

2. How many times have you had to hear/use the term "strawman fallacy" in your professional/social life?

3. Actually, I *am* learning a second language. Actually, I'm learning 3 at once. So the last thing on my agenda is to learn about :redherring: .

I actually hear such terms often in my life. Red herring and straw man are not common for me. In fact I had to look up what exactly the straw man fallacy is but I found it funny since it's probably the most common tactic the friend i debate with the most uses.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

:doh:

Because Ad Hominem is such a obscure term...

Most of the people I work with use words and phrases, such as: "yo, nigga?", "what you said?", "that ain't no way to do that", "she has a fine ass", "what the fuck did you just say?", and my personal favorite, "Speak english, new boy". So yes, debates don't spring up that often, and if they do, they are about simple things that can usually be resolved with a "naw, homie... Do it like this..."

I wish I could hear intelligent discussion more, to be perfectly honest.

Looks like you have time to learn what a Redherring is... Since, apparently, you have enough time to create this thread about the thing.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whad up cuz! Ma ain't ga no back, yo fu bus yo nek yo, using dem "big" words b.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
They're such a joy to watch! Why, when a particularly engaging debate really gets going I've been known to become so involved my monocle falls from my face and directly into my tea! It is a risky endeavor, of course, as the resultant splash might cause irreparable damage to my beaver-skin top hat.

Why, when watching the CSPAN I've been known to make six or seven trips to the haberdashery a week! I've come to know the local cap vendor so well, we've been known to engage in informal, jaunty conversation every once and again despite his disgraceful social class.

Too much?

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whad up cuz! Ma ain't ga no back, yo fu bus yo nek yo, using dem "big" words b.

^See this, most of the people I interact and go to school with speak this way, Wannbe thugs with grills in their mouths blasting that almost minstrel dirty south rap music. There is almost zero chance for me to have an "intelligent" conversation with these philistines, and know what's worse, they think I'm slow, crazy, strange, or stupid or something because I'm a little absent-minded and not always paying attention to them.

They prejudge me and that just does it for me and I find it quite ironic that they think I'm the dull one. :steam:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
There's only one thing I can answer on this...

Yay for the INTPs!
Logic is not a means, it's a goal.
And I love debating-for-the-sake-of-debate much, much more than socializing-for-the-sake-of-socializing. It's the fuel on which my much too picky extravert engine runs.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
They're such a joy to watch! Why, when a particularly engaging debate really gets going I've been known to become so involved my monocle falls from my face and directly into my tea! It is a risky endeavor, of course, as the resultant splash might cause irreparable damage to my beaver-skin top hat.

Why, when watching the CSPAN I've been known to make six or seven trips to the haberdashery a week! I've come to know the local cap vendor so well, we've been known to engage in informal, jaunty conversation every once and again despite his disgraceful social class.

HUZZAH!

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
They prejudge me and that just does for me and I find it quite ironic that they think I'm the dull one. :steam:

I can relate to this, only I don't take them so seriously... Who cares what they thunkin on? Hurrrr.

Jaguar

Isn't it the ENTP who loves to debate and argue, they'd probably get off debating more than an INTP, right?

You should have seen a female ENTP and a female INTP going at it last year.
I've never seen such a bunch of ridiculous drivel in my life. No meaning, no purpose, no nothing.
This went on forever. Pages and pages and pages. Squawking birds.