User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    Stop being constructive, it destroys the basis for sweeping knee-jerk rants!
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Stop being constructive, it destroys the basis for sweeping knee-jerk rants!
    Was that supposed to be a reason not to?
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's because we are more interesed in the discussion itself rather than what is being discussed. HOW we discuss things -- framework and underlying foundation -- is more important than content [...]
    I've always associated this with INTs - especially INTPs - and can't help to find it meaningless and boring, the very least. Nitpicking kills creativity and constructivity. Debating with the risk of a possible logical fallacy is more worth it than tearing every syllable apart until the goal is lost. Eventually, it all comes down to a handful of nerds mental-masturbating in which nobody's interested in.

You either get the "underlying foundation" or you don't get it. I honestly doubt that such mind games ever get you closer to what you're trying to find out. Well, not with an average mind - I'm not talking about your typical Ti-dom genius.

MBTI
    IsTP

Appeal to ridicule, bare assertion, false dilemma.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    I've always associated this with INTs - especially INTPs - and can't help to find it meaningless and boring, the very least.
    I don't understand the question??? Or many of the answers???? Why does it matter to anyone what INTPs do to get their rocks off?? No-one else has to like it!! If they are enjoying themselves - let them be. If you are not an INTP and are in a discussion where this happens and it annoys you, make a simple statement and choose not to respond or participate.

If I don't like something then I don't watch it, observe it, or participate in it, and if I don't think it worth my energy, or it doesn't matter to me I won't comment on it - end of story.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    If I don't think it worth my energy, or it doesn't matter to me I won't comment on it - end of story.
    So why does it matter to you that it matters to me what the INTPs do?

(seriously, I've expected something more than a fifth grade explanation of "don't like it, don't eat it!")

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

(seriously, I've expected something more than a fifth grade explanation of "don't like it, don't eat it!")
    A fifth grader in their simple observations can be a lot wiser than many beyond high school age

I am just curious as to why it worries you so much what others do when you don't have to participate??
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

(seriously, I've expected something more serious than a fifth grade explanation of "don't like it, don't eat it!")
    The behaviour you identified is annoying, but most INTP's don't do that. In my experience anyway, it's more likely that someone identifying as INTJ will do that kind of thing rather than an INTP. I have experience of people ocming into threads to argue against me with that kind of approach, and more often than not they have listed as INTJ. Likewise, it's much more prominent behaviour on INTJForum than INTPCentral.

Of course you'll just say "those people aren't INTJ's". Maybe you're right, maybe not.

In any case though, I don't see any support for the claim that most INTP's behave that way. Those that do, I am equally as unimpressed as you by.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

I am just curious as to why it worries you so much what others do when you don't have to participate??
    Why would it worry me? I sometimes find it hard to skip 20 pages of random people running after their tale, but its more annoying than worrisome.
    A topic has been opened, an INTP added her own insights, I've noticed a pattern before, and now I've shared it with you. "End of story".

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    In any case though, I don't see any support for the claim that most INTP's behave that way.
    Neither do I.
    Though most of the times I've seen this trend, there was an INTP or an INTJ involved, with the former being more common ime.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

A fifth grader in their simple observations can be a lot wiser than many beyond high school age

The trouble for me is that such people usually jump into a thread with something along the lines of "OMG a logical fallacy, you appealed to majority sentiment/historical precedent/etc.! you must be an ESFJ not an NT!"

When a whole forum runs along those lines, it becomes a shame, because a promising concept (an INTP/INTJ forum) becomes overtaken by the most exaggerated and unhealthy elements of a type, dictating a form of perverse "pure logic" which runs in the face of any realistic or creative thinking. (one of the reasons I post on Typology Central instead).

So I think Litvyak has a point here actually.

Of course this is not to criticize people who are interested that a debate should be logical or who call logical fallacies now and again when it's necessarry to do so. Rather extreme cases who think that the abstract logic is superior to the real issues being discussed (or who repress their Fi/Fe to the extent that they lie to themselves that emotionally-driven opinions are purely logical and objective).