User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Another way to understand it is through the classic temperament blends.
    NT is Choleric in the area of leadership and action. This means they have a sort of aggressiveness (I.e. "Pragmatic") as well as an independence from submission to others. The Interaction Style (social area) tells us the other temperament blended with Choleric. ENP is Sanguine. So ENTP is. SanChlor, and this is said to be the most rambunctious and competitive of all the blends. The INTP is less so because of the introversion, of course. They're less "expressive".

While the NTP's are "informative" or people-focused, socially, the NTJ's are directive, or task-focused, and hence don't come across as argumentative as NTP's; as debating is relating to people.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

ThatGirl

My father is an INTP and it pisses me off more when he tries to "dumb himself down." So condescending.

Other than that, usually the only other thing that bugs about the way INTPs speak, is that they have zero concept of priority. How to paraphrase the most relevant aspects of the content.

I don't usually get fed the criticisms in the OP.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I think that's the difference. The INTPs (and their cousins) see the process of the debate (and its foundation) as important, whereas I just want to get to the bottom-line and get something done about the problem we're debating.

It's why I don't usually debate politics unless I plan to take action (that is, grass-roots LOL) and I need to summon people for a rally, list, etc.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    :steam: :eek: :jofticon_1:

Ah, emoticons. That hopefully scared off all the INTPs. Now we can slam discuss them in peace.

All types love their debates, and all types have debate snobs, but what's the deal with the INTPs?

"Ad hominem", "logical fallacies" "red herring" "strawman argument" "circular fallacy" "Scrotum reasoning" BLAH all of this Harvard latin jargon...

Is all of that? (Sorry, just had to get rid of any INTP scragglers...) They will go ON and ON with their snooty armchair philosophy legal studies debates, and the only red herrings I know of belong in my SAMMICH.

I'm supposed to be reading poems for homework tomorrow... YAY procrastination!
    LOL. thanks you soooo much. I'm applauding you right now
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post

Other than that, usually the only other thing that bugs about the way INTPs speak, is that they have zero concept of priority. How to paraphrase the most relevant aspects of the content.
    haha, it's awesome when it goes like this:

INTP: *long 10 minute explanation*
    Me (in a sentence or two): "So you were pretty much saying this....."
    INTP: "yeah, pretty much"
    Me (thinking): "Why couldn't you have just said that... grrr"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    haha, it's awesome when it goes like this:

INTP: *long 10 minute explanation*
    Me (in a sentence or two): "So you were pretty much saying this....."
    INTP: "yeah, pretty much"
    Me (thinking): "Why couldn't you have just said that... grrr"
    I find about half the INTPs love explaining things in a conscise and witty manner.

The other half can be windbags.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Ok, I just googled it. Red Herring = Intentional diversion.

WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE JUST SAY THAT? It's the same number of words!!
    Red Herring is fewer syllables (or, if typing/writing, letters). Acousticophobia is fewer words than 'fear of noise', but 'fear of noise' takes less time to say. Plus, I tend to think of a red herring as a clue, argument or piece of evidence that has been planted to throw someone off, while a diversion would be, say, setting a fire or causing a blackout so no one pays attention to you committing some other crime or act simultaneously. Also, I think Red Herring sounds better.

And we wouldn't have one of the best lines from 'Clue': "Communism was just a red herring!"
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I find about half the INTPs love explaining things in a conscise and witty manner.

The other half can be windbags.
    There is some crossover.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

1. Because there's too many words to expect everyone to know them all, do you not realize how many words exist in the English language, never mind the idioms etc. I only first heard of these obscure terms here on TypeC.
    Debate Lingo is limited to some thirty phrases and I only see ten of them used on a regular basis. If you can remember ten names, dates, or episodes of Lost, then memorizing ten Latin phrases, that are supposedly used in a superfluous manner, should not be difficult.

2. How many times have you had to hear/use the term "strawman fallacy" in your professional/social life?
    Quite a bit, especially if you account for internet discussions. If I were to dabble in politics or the debate club that I attended in high school then that number would be increased by ten times. I certainly use the ten Latin phrases that I know of more often than my knowledge of German or French.

3. Actually, I *am* learning a second language. Actually, I'm learning 3 at once. So the last thing on my agenda is to learn about .
    Then you are an extreme exception and should be proud of that fact. That said, if you're attempting to chug down the entire Japanese Katakana system, for instance, then memorizing "red herring" will be the least of your worries.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

The fallacies are easy to remember. In fact, it was necessary for the written portion of the GRE (though admittedly they did not require that we memorize the Latin.) They're also used ALL THE TIME in academic writing.

I memorized them early on (in high school) because I was tired of coming across phrases like "post hoc" in my reading and either not knowing, or having to cross-reference, their meaning. It seems like I'd be missing a lot, or incompetent in some way, if I didn't know them (especially since they're simple and pretty easy to remember.) And once you know them, it's difficult not to use them for greater concision.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness