User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    IsTP

The OP is an Appeal to ridicule!
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    intp

This is rich coming from an ENTP. I guess they go for the down-home* types of debate.

*Yes, this is used euphemistically.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    :steam: :eek: :jofticon_1:

Ah, emoticons. That hopefully scared off all the INTPs. Now we can slam discuss them in peace.

All types love their debates, and all types have debate snobs, but what's the deal with the INTPs?

"Ad hominem", "logical fallacies" "red herring" "strawman argument" "circular fallacy" "Scrotum reasoning" BLAH all of this Harvard latin jargon...

Is all of that? (Sorry, just had to get rid of any INTP scragglers...) They will go ON and ON with their snooty armchair philosophy legal studies debates, and the only red herrings I know of belong in my SAMMICH.

I'm supposed to be reading poems for homework tomorrow... YAY procrastination!
    It's Ti at work. It makes them boorish grammar nazis. I do enjoy using latin phrases in my own debates, but I'm not that stuffy (my posts are generally Te-heavy smackdown -- I've been accused of being an SJ because of it ).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    intp

How very gangster.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post

Because Ad Hominem is such a obscure term...

Most of the people I work with use words and phrases, such as: "yo, nigga?", "what you said?", "that ain't no way to do that", "she has a fine ass", "what the fuck did you just say?", and my personal favorite, "Speak english, new boy". So yes, debates don't spring up that often, and if they do, they are about simple things that can usually be resolved with a "naw, homie... Do it like this..."

I wish I could hear intelligent discussion more, to be perfectly honest.

Looks like you have time to learn what a Redherring is... Since, apparently, you have enough time to create this thread about the thing.
    Ok, I just googled it. Red Herring = Intentional diversion.

WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE JUST SAY THAT? It's the same number of words!!
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Ok, I just googled it. Red Herring = Intentional diversion.

WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE JUST SAY THAT? It's the same number of words!!
    But, but, red herring is a very common term! At least in crime fiction...

Ergo, we are quite within our rights to use it. It's not as if it's archaic.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I enjoy debating as well, but I debate general ideas and use examples. I don't snootily try to nitpick linguistic imprecisions (solely to insert RED HERRINGS that detract from the issue at hand.) When we can debate in plain unpretentious English, I can go all night.

Not very ENTP of me to avoid "scholastic debate", yes, (then again I may be ESTP.)

It's not 'hard' to LEARN the phrases, but I'm guaranteed to use them incorrectly.
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Most of the people I work with use words and phrases, such as: "yo, nigga?", "what you said?", "that ain't no way to do that", "she has a fine ass", "what the fuck did you just say?", and my personal favorite, "Speak english, new boy". So yes, debates don't spring up that often, and if they do, they are about simple things that can usually be resolved with a "naw, homie... Do it like this..."
    Haha same here!

I don't know about you guys, but I've grown up with Paris Hilton type party girls and people who love nothing more than to surf and get stoned.

You "intellectual" people are FOREIGN to me.
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Haha same here!

I don't know about you guys, but I've grown up with Paris Hilton type party girls and people who love nothing more than to surf and get stoned.

You "intellectual" people are FOREIGN to me.
    I grew up with my mother, who always pressured me into learning new words so as to better express ideas. My speech has been termed florid in a discussion at the university just last week. But it's something I do unconsciously; I don't think: "Oooh, I must now insert a Latin phrase, so that I may sound like an intelligent and well-educated person."

Using plain English (or any other language, while we're at it) doesn't detract from the topic - provided that what you're saying is intelligent in its essence.

Most people I know who use complicated phrases use them because they are unsure of what they're discussing and thus simply try to appear intelligent, without having anything specific to add to the discussion at hand.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's because we are more interesed in the discussion itself rather than what is being discussed. HOW we discuss things -- framework and underlying foundation -- is more important than content because even correct facts are wrong if placed in wrong context.
    I don't have much sympathy for people who have nothing better to do than poke holes in a barrel of oil and end up with a broken tailbone, after they slip and fall.