User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    informal then

I noticed you're steamrolling past my point
    There was not one "point" made, but three salient propositions offered:

1) (implied) The straw man fallacy is a formal fallacy.

2) "all formal fallacies are based on a common cognitive bias/error."

3)"it's unlikely for anyone to commit a strawman fallacy without following the formula I described, even though it might be theoretically possible."

1 is obviously false; 2 is vague and unclear; 3 fares little better than 2.

I simply ignored 2 and 3 because, not only were they digressive and irrelevant to the discussion, but, frankly, I couldn't be bothered to address them and the misunderstandings that inevitably lay beneath them (e.g. ignorance of what constitutes a formal fallacy vis a vis an informal fallacy, what a "straw man" fallacy is, conventionally understood). 1, however, whilst irrelevant to the discussion, was quick and painless to correct, and thus I did so.

Moreover, you began your post with a juvenile "fuck you" and emoticon and then made a glaring error. This, combined with your lacklustre grasp of English and general puerility, as well as my suspicion that you are not especially intelligent, was sufficient for my above reticence.

If you want to be taken seriously by interlocutors who aren't easily impressed, use better English, avoid profanity, and gain more than a slight knowledge of the subject about which you are talking. If not, you are welcome to continue being a dolt.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    There was not one "point" made, but three salient propositions offered:

1) (implied) The straw man fallacy is a formal fallacy.

2) "all formal fallacies are based on a common cognitive bias/error."

3)"it's unlikely for anyone to commit a strawman fallacy without following the formula I described, even though it might be theoretically possible."

1 is obviously false; 2 is vague and unclear; 3 fares little better than 2.

I simply ignored 2 and 3 because, not only were they digressive and irrelevant to the discussion, but, frankly, I couldn't be bothered to address them and the misunderstandings that inevitably lay beneath them (e.g. ignorance of what constitutes a formal fallacy vis a vis an informal fallacy, what a "straw man" fallacy is, conventionally understood). 1, however, whilst irrelevant to the discussion, was quick and painless to correct, and thus I did so.

Moreover, you began your post with a juvenile "fuck you" and emoticon and then made a glaring error. This, combined with your lacklustre grasp of English and general puerility, as well as my suspicion that you are not especially intelligent, was sufficient for my above reticence.

If you want to be taken seriously by interlocutors who aren't easily impressed, use better English, avoid profanity, and gain more than a slight knowledge of the subject about which you are talking. If not, you are welcome to continue being a dolt.
    lol.

Okay, I shouldn't have added 'formal' in there. I was just trying to add jargon in order to sound smart. But, while that makes my statement rather an attack on an implied straw man itself, it's still correct and does apply on the wider scale.

-Logical fallacies which are not possible to process in the human brain are never used by humans in discourse. Fallacies which are not possible for a human to process on paper are never used by humans in written work.
    -Many types of logical fallacies exist, and it is possible for a human brain to identify them.
    -Each type of fallacy has a specific context in which it is most commonly found, and a useful function outside of pure logic. (more obvious examples would be appeals to force/emotion)

The reason it's relevant is because I described the conditions common to most, if not all, straw man arguments (the exception being intentional ones), as well as the social dynamics involved. You may not have noticed, since you seem to operate on a binary of 'smart/not smart' where you ignore anyone who doesn't use words that normal folk will need a dictionary for, but simply identifying a fallacy is rarely enough to correct it in the mind of an interlocutor, especially when there is a gap in understanding (almost always the case for a straw man).
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    lol.

Okay, I shouldn't have added 'formal' in there. I was just trying to add jargon in order to sound smart. But, while that makes my statement rather an attack on an implied straw man itself, it's still correct and does apply on the wider scale.

-Logical fallacies which are not possible to process in the human brain are never used by humans in discourse. Fallacies which are not possible for a human to process on paper are never used by humans in written work.
    -Many types of logical fallacies exist, and it is possible for a human brain to identify them.
    -Each type of fallacy has a specific context in which it is most commonly found, and a useful function outside of formal logic.

The reason it's relevant is because I described the conditions common to most, if not all, straw man arguments (the exception being intentional ones), as well as the social dynamics involved. You may not have noticed, since you seem to operate on a binary of 'smart/not smart' where you ignore anyone who doesn't use words that normal folk will need a dictionary for, but simply identifying a fallacy is rarely enough to correct it in the mind of an interlocutor, especially when there is a gap in understanding (almost always the case for a straw man).
    I rest my case.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    I rest my case.
    Does that mean I win?
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    FREE

Sigh. Do you want a rope or can you climb up here yourself?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

No, I think I can hear people speaking Chinese. I'm not going to give up this close to the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    or maybe they are the most accurate words to use many times?
    yeah i think so too

Glycerine

haha, sometimes they can be the most accurate words. However, there are many times you can tell when people (in general, not just INTPs) are just trying to come off smart but end up coming off sounding asinine with no real substance using fancy smancy language. In a sense, some are sacrificing substance and common understanding to sound "intelligent". IMO, it's pseudointellectualism at its finest.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    I don't see why a dialectical approach infers no interest in content. Can you talk more about this? Also, I'd be interested in reading the Ni vs Ti stuff you edited out of your post.
    There wasn't much I really said, it was more the tone I was carrying. I edited it so it didn't sound like I was pushing a Ni vs Ti agenda. I was simply too exhausted to go into any real details about the differing approaches of Ni and Ti, but that certainly would be quite an interesting topic.

I didn't mean to say that dialetical approach equates to no interest in content. I was commenting on Jennifer's remark about INTPs being more interested in the discussion itself than the content. Then I proceeded to comment on Litvyak's remark about how understanding the underlying issues of the discussion is key to Ni's approach; and related it to Buber's distinction between dialectical and dialogical approaches.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    I've always associated this with INTs - especially INTPs - and can't help to find it meaningless and boring, the very least. Nitpicking kills creativity and constructivity. Debating with the risk of a possible logical fallacy is more worth it than tearing every syllable apart until the goal is lost. Eventually, it all comes down to a handful of nerds mental-masturbating in which nobody's interested in.

You either get the "underlying foundation" or you don't get it. I honestly doubt that such mind games ever get you closer to what you're trying to find out.

I tend to associate it with NTPs and also find it very annoying and to stifle conversation & flow of ideas; although, there are certainly some NTPs who do not do this. It comes off as very "can't see the forest for the trees" nitpicking, in which the main meaning of the expression is ignored as the NTP harps on some minor detail that is beside the point.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe