User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    FYP. :P

It was a close-run thing, but I reckon the French ENTP just won the fancy-schmancy snootiness contest.

I'm wondering now though whether the whole purpose of this thread was to provoke the intps to argue about definitions of logical fallacies.

*Is not biting*
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

^^^It's unfair really. You use those Latin terms way more than me ragashree, you just have high enough Fe to know that this is not the place to it.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post

I'm wondering now though whether the whole purpose of this thread was to provoke the intps to argue about definitions of logical fallacies.

*Is not biting*
    One recognizes the skill of the fisherman at the quality of his baits...

Common, litl' INTPs... I know you're salivating...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    I've always associated this with INTs - especially INTPs - and can't help to find it meaningless and boring, the very least. Nitpicking kills creativity and constructivity. Debating with the risk of a possible logical fallacy is more worth it than tearing every syllable apart until the goal is lost. Eventually, it all comes down to a handful of nerds mental-masturbating in which nobody's interested in.

You either get the "underlying foundation" or you don't get it. I honestly doubt that such mind games ever get you closer to what you're trying to find out. Well, not with an average mind - I'm not talking about your typical Ti-dom genius.
    Perhaps Im speaking as a fellow Ni-dom, but I agree with this quite a bit. I honestly don't see much point in stressing the discussion over the actual content, as Jennifer stated. For me, no content = no discussion. With my tertiary Ti, I do enjoy discussions that involve analyzing concepts and such; but too much nitpicking can literally give me a headache. I often like to reference to Buber's distinction between dialectial and dialogical forms of thinking. Like Buber and many other Ni-doms, I tend to prefer the latter kind.
    Last edited by Sniffles; 06-20-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: This isn't a Ti vs Ni discussion

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    The straw man fallacy is not a formal fallacy, but an informal one.

If you'd like a bigger shovel, I could fetch you one.
    informal then

I noticed you're steamrolling past my point
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    As a fellow Ni-dom, I fully agree with this. I honestly don't see much point in stressing the discussion over the actual content, as Jennifer stated. For me, no content = no discussion. With my tertiary Ti, I do enjoy discussions that involve analyzing concepts and such; but too much nitpicking can literally give me a headache. I often like to reference to Buber's distinction between dialectial and dialogical forms of thinking. Like Buber and many other Ni-doms, I tend to prefer the latter kind.
    I'd have to agree that I as an INTP much prefer the first. The biggest problem I have with the dialogical is that something must dictate when each is better. Once that is known they can be effectively combined.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGray View Post
    I'd have to agree that I as an INTP much prefer the first. The biggest problem I have with the dialogical is that something must dictate when each is better. Once that is known they can be effectively combined.
    Are you going by Hegelian dialectics here(thesis, antithesis, snythesis)?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Are you going by Hegelian dialectics here(thesis, antithesis, snythesis)?
    I haven't looked into it before so I'm working off surface definitions.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Perhaps Im speaking as a fellow Ni-dom, but I agree with this quite a bit. I honestly don't see much point in stressing the discussion over the actual content, as Jennifer stated. For me, no content = no discussion. With my tertiary Ti, I do enjoy discussions that involve analyzing concepts and such; but too much nitpicking can literally give me a headache. I often like to reference to Buber's distinction between dialectial and dialogical forms of thinking. Like Buber and many other Ni-doms, I tend to prefer the latter kind.
    I don't see why a dialectical approach infers no interest in content. Can you talk more about this? Also, I'd be interested in reading the Ni vs Ti stuff you edited out of your post.

I think dialectical thinking is reflexive for Ti-doms, it's just the process we automatically go through to make sense of anything. It's often misunderstood as nit-picking/argument for argument's sake by other (inferior) types.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    FYP. :P

It was a close-run thing, but I reckon the French ENTP just won the fancy-schmancy snootiness contest.
    Heeeeeeeeeeeey. :steam: No spoiling!
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp