• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

This is not a Typology Forum

Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

• Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been here about six months. During that time, there are a couple things that seem noticeable:
- A gradual reduction in actual discussions about Typology
- An increasing number of members that change their listed type to something nonsensical

So, I am wondering why this is.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I've noticed that too. I feel a little bit sad about it. I think it may be a combination of factors:

- many typology discussions are cyclical and so some older members may feel they've been there and done that.
- some newer members feel less confident in what they know about typology and so either are just reading or avoid starting discussions.
- some people have very strong opinions about typology that are never going to change and usually create some fireworks.

I've wondered though if it's just me or if there's a trend towards less serious discussion generally...

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
What are you talking about?.. ESPN..It's American for sports!!!
It is not nonsensical.

Seriously though.. I see your point, but it's more a discussion board populated by amateur enthusiasts of Psychology and more so, a certain theory or concept of psychology.

I am just wondering if everyone at your work or school only ever discusses Work or school?

G

garbage

I guess because it gets boring to veterans after a while, if it's the same questions being posed over and over and in different ways

I dunno, there's only so many times you can go back and forth about what "Se" is, or something

Frankily, it seems that typology's pretty much just the thing that we're all halfway interested in enough to spur some communal tangential discussions about lots of other subjects, maybe relating them back to typology systems every once in a while.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Because people come here to hang out. This is actually a pretty neat social networking place...

I still think and talk about Typology, but I do other things too.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
An increasing number of members that change their listed type to something nonsensical .

If you can explain what is sensical about being wanting to be pigeon-holed.

Deep down, they really want to be pigeon-holed. :dry:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you can explain what is sensical about being wanting to be pigeon-holed.

Deep down, they really want to be pigeon-holed. :dry:

Really, not having a real type in the profile is the most confusing thing. It seems - I don't know - lacking in courage. Even if you change it - who cares. At least you have the guts to put it out there.

If somebody is worried about being pigeon-holed then why are they on forum that's supposed to be about Typology?

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Really, not having a real type in the profile is the most confusing thing. It seems - I don't know - lacking in courage. Even if you change it - who cares. At least you have the guts to put it out there.

Just for fun, I try reading the poster and formulating an opinion. FWIW, 80% of the posters here have mistyped themselves - not as what they are, but what they'd like to be. It's interesting to watch - the characters that do not give out type have probably twigged this at some level.

:)

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I
- An increasing number of members that change their listed type to something nonsensical

I have noticed a lot of friction between some members disputing other members types, there has been a fair bit of posting about this. It is possible that people wish to obscure their type so as not to be challenged, amoungst other reasons.

Jaguar

It seems - I don't know - lacking in courage. Even if you change it - who cares. At least you have the guts to put it out there.

And if people don't post it- who cares. The blade cuts both ways.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

If somebody is worried about being pigeon-holed then why are they on forum that's supposed to be about Typology?

Hmm I stopped putting INFP for 2 reasons, and neither had anything to do with courage.
1-because people except me to behave a certain way, Like I couldn't possibly be informed about certain topics, or that I ought to be hugging everything that moves and have empathy for everyone at all times.
2-Because I am not sure of my type. Has anyone on here actually been tested professionally?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have noticed a lot of friction between some members disputing other members types, there has been a fair bit of posting about this. It is possible that people wish to obscure their type so as not to be challenged, amoungst other reasons.

Yes, this is what I meant by not having courage.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And if people don't post it- who cares. The blade cuts both ways.

So do you a) not know what type your are or b) not want to be pigeon-holed?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'd prefer that the forum be about harmless non-sense than dangerous non-sense such as folk typology. If the only kind of typological discussion that we could have is going to be about folk typology, we should appreciate that the forum is not about typology.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, this is what I meant by not having courage.
But does it necessarily mean they do not have courage? This reminds me of the famous "mistaking kindness for weakness" saying. Although i have no problem with displaying my own type, people doing it to avoid confrontation and argument, or render it to open discussion, may not solely be deemed as cowardly.