• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

This is not a Typology Forum

Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

• Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It seems like the "in" thing to do - to call yourself WILD or NANO or MILF. Haha. What's the point of your joke? I do think it takes away from the community. There are likely those who have been around longer who actually know - so in a sense it creates exclusivity as well.

Highlander
RAWR

G

Ginkgo

Boy, it is terribly authoritarian to tell someone that their views don't match reality, isn't it? Galileo must have been a one terribly oppressive bastard for criticizing the geocentric cosmology of the church. Did Socrates deserve his hemlock after all?

“Perchance you who pronounce my sentence are in greater fear than I who receive it.” - Giordano Bruno

Giordano Bruno was creative, outspoken, radical, brilliant, contentious, and not afraid to think outside the box. In any time in history, that can mean trouble, but in the late 1500s it often meant death at the stake, which was precisely what happened to Bruno. Scholars may disagree as to the degree of his scientific expertise, or whether his fate was primarily written by the closed-minded Roman Inquisitors or by his own self-destructive actions. But what keeps us all interested in him, then and since then, was his idea that we on this earth are just one small part of an infinite universe, which the equally infinite mystery of God easily encompasses.

Bizarre how people oppress themselves...

Mole

Permabanned
The Authoritarian Personality and MBTI

Boy, it is terribly authoritarian to tell someone that their views don't match reality, isn't it? Galileo must have been a one terribly oppressive bastard for criticizing the geocentric cosmology of the church. Did Socrates deserve his hemlock after all?

The authoritarian personality can't tell the difference between chaos and creativity and becomes genuinely distressed by creativity.

But the authoritarian personality is attracted to MBTI by the promise of bringing order to the personality.

However MBTI does not match psychological reality and this completely undermines the raison d'être of the authoritarian personality.

So we can hear the distress of the authoritarian personality echoing down the threads. We can hear their demand that we return to the first principles of MBTI. And when their psychological needs are not met, we bear their ad hominem attacks.

And even more distressing is that their compulsive ad hominem attacks may lead to banning.

But really, it is MBTI itself that sets the authoritarian personality up for a fall.

G

Ginkgo

The authoritarian personality can't tell the difference between chaos and creativity and becomes genuinely distressed by creativity.

But the authoritarian personality is attracted to MBTI by the promise of bringing order to the personality.

However MBTI does not match psychological reality and this completely undermines the raison d'être of the authoritarian personality.

So we can hear the distress of the authoritarian personality echoing down the threads. We can hear their demand that we return to the first principles of MBTI. And when their psychological needs are not met, we bear their ad hominem attacks.

And even more distressing is that their compulsive ad hominem attacks may lead to banning.

But really, it is MBTI itself that sets the authoritarian personality up for a fall.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FfADNo7SO8"]Ad Hominem Attacks[/YOUTUBE]

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
I'm already restricted in real life, do I have to be restricted to typology in typology forums as well?

And for me it's just a nice place to hang out. THere's some trolls, but many of them make me laugh my head off. Unlike other forums which have no drama, or have too much drama.

And I like talking with adults. ;)

G

Ginkgo

What the hell is that - more fancy feast cat food? :rofl1:

I think we should live up to the thread title!

unrelated_dolphin_735.jpg

G

Ginkgo

I'm anticipating that one day, my cocker spaniel will urinate on an electrical outlet. This is a great example of how we inadvertently contribute to natural selection with our technology! What a wonderful learning experience for the whole family.

Jaguar

wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
What you've said about serial self testers makes perfect sense.

Do you have any ideas on types of threads or content that would be interesting?

I would like to see more discussion on practical application of the theory.

OMG!! This thread has actually developed a life of its own while I have been at work! I need to digest the posts.

Being an INTP I enjoy the more serious threads but I would like to see more about people wanting to understand each others' known type/temperament/functions and where the underlying aptitudes and talents fit in to the larger scheme of things. Since I joined I have seen too many threads that are literally type bashing and intolerance.

David Keirsey's little narrative at the beginning of "Please Understand Me II" is a good place to start.

Please understand me...

If I do not want what you want,
please try not to tell me that my want is wrong.

Or if I believe other than you,
at least pause before you correct my view.

Or if my emotion is less than yours, or more,
given the same circumstances,
try not to ask me to feel more strongly or weakly.

Or yet if I act, or fail to act, in the manner
of your design for action, let me be.

I do not, for the moment at least,
ask you to understand me.

That will come only when you are willing
to give up changing me into a copy of you.

I may be your spouse, your parent, your offsping,
your friend, or your colleague.

If you will allow me any of my own wants, or emotions,
or beliefs, or actions, then you open yourself,
so that some day these ways of mine might not seem so wrong,
and might finally appear to you as right -- for me.

To put up with me is the first step to understanding me.

Not that you embrace my ways as right for you, but that
you are no longer irritated or disappointed with me
for my seeming waywardness.

And in understanding me you might come to prize
my differences from you, and, far from seeking to change me,
preserve and even nurture those differences.

© David Keirsey – see http:wwww.keirsey.com

Sunny Ghost

i didn't vote because i felt like there are a lot of mbti type/enneagram's and other personality type forums going quite proficiently. i see very few that aren't related. i find it equally great that there are indeed a few non-type related forums, as we can still find other common grounds between the people who's types we already know and see how they react in other areas of discussion and topics. if a particular comment strikes a chord with me, i may look into the person more and visit other comments they've made. often times, somewhere in there, they have listed their type. and with the non-type threads, you can watch a particular personality type in action and actually see how, say, the ESTP person works/thinks, etc. one could always just try to guess the type depending upon their input, which always seems to be fun to do anyways.

Last edited:

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was thinking that there also seems to be a trend in authoritarian personalities critisizing types and telling others their types are incorrect based on their own interpretations of typing and the functions.
The beauty of a forum like this is that we have a sea of personalities and thus all their differing opinions, who is correct is not really the point.
For me the point is to listen, take part and learn.
I like the melting pot, even if elements stray at times.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most of the ones I know that have some other acronym for their type, including myself, have delved deeply into typology at some point and surfaced a changed person, or realized that, for one reason or another, MBTI type does not really reflect the essence of them for whatever reason, and choose not to be branded by it.

If you can search beyond those 4 letters you might ask yourself why someone would want to do this. It isn't the end of the story, it isn't because we are cowards, and I do not think that INFJ under my username could represent me any better than my candid posts or comments (which few respond to I might add).

What, pray tell, would you like to discuss about typology, Highlander? I'm all ears.

Exactly. To me, it almost tells you more about someone to see MILF as their type instead of their type. I mean would Jaguar be the same if you saw ENTJ under his avatar? He's totally WILD or BITE. :) Just as an avatar can give you a different perspective than someone's pic. A pic is more representative of exactly how a person looks, but is that really important? A false acronym is just another way for someone to express him/herself. Why is that frustrating, I wonder? It just makes me more curious most of the time.

The only place it could get truly confusing is in a typology thread with new members, and in that case, they can just ask if they so desire.

Part of the value that members get out of the forum is to see how others of a particular type respond and interact. Your posts and type in combination help me to understand a little bit more about who you are. It helps in understanding similarities and differences between INFJs. New members will rarely ask what your type is if you are MILF of WILD. If somebody doesn't put it down in their profile, one may assume that they don't want to share it or they think typology is a joke. They are "above" it now.

As far as our individuality goes, I couldn't articulate it any better than this.

1.)
Being categorized as part of a collective whole doesn't make you cease to exist as an individual human; just as refusing to categorize yourself as part of a collective doesn't suddenly mean you are truly an individual beyond categorization and above the fact that humans are defined by their interaction with social groups and fill a finite number of roles with regards to said groups.

I guess I'm more interested in practical application of the theory - how it applies in daily life in interactions between people. If it doesn't then it really doesn't have much value. This is the problem with the "folk typology" mantra. Criticizing without providing a practical alternative isn't particularly helpful.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Since I joined I have seen too many threads that are literally type bashing and intolerance.

David Keirsey's little narrative at the beginning of "Please Understand Me II" is a good place to start.

Please understand me...

If I do not want what you want,
please try not to tell me that my want is wrong.

Or if I believe other than you,
at least pause before you correct my view.

Or if my emotion is less than yours, or more,
given the same circumstances,
try not to ask me to feel more strongly or weakly.

Or yet if I act, or fail to act, in the manner
of your design for action, let me be.

I do not, for the moment at least,
ask you to understand me.

That will come only when you are willing
to give up changing me into a copy of you.

I may be your spouse, your parent, your offsping,
your friend, or your colleague.

If you will allow me any of my own wants, or emotions,
or beliefs, or actions, then you open yourself,
so that some day these ways of mine might not seem so wrong,
and might finally appear to you as right -- for me.

To put up with me is the first step to understanding me.

Not that you embrace my ways as right for you, but that
you are no longer irritated or disappointed with me
for my seeming waywardness.

And in understanding me you might come to prize
my differences from you, and, far from seeking to change me,
preserve and even nurture those differences.

© David Keirsey – see http:wwww.keirsey.com

This is really good. :)