• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

This is not a Typology Forum

Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

• Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters
G

Ginkgo

Exactly how interested are people going to be when they read a member constantly claiming:

"I know more about Jung and typology than anyone here."

That type of hubris serves no one, nor does it encourage any type of innovative thinking from members who want to look at multiple theories to promote understanding.
And let's not forget the daily clubbing of baby seals, as I now call it.
Certain people now beat an MBTI type into someone, whether they want it or not.

There's so many seals when "98% of the members here are mistyped". They're just begging to be pummeled, to some. It's like this ranch just got a shipment of new cattle and now they're a ready for a brandin'! :rofl1:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
the problem is sometimes you CAN start a nice thread on typology and it ends up as an argument between two or so really argumentative people who ignore other posters and post the dreaded walls of text... it can really kill a thread :thumbdown:

and people who are over-insistant on telling other people that they are wrong instead of explaining things coherently and asking the occasional question and keeping open minds... that irks me as well... how does THAT benefit anyone :dry:

Jaguar

It's like this ranch just got a shipment of new cattle and now they're a ready for a brandin'! :rofl1:

branding.jpg

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
the problem is sometimes you CAN start a nice thread on typology and it ends up as an argument between two or so really argumentative people who ignore other posters and post the dreaded walls of text... it can really kill a thread :thumbdown:

and people who are over-insistant on telling other people that they are wrong instead of explaining things coherently and asking the occasional question and keeping open minds... that irks me as well... how does THAT benefit anyone :dry:

do it - not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

have the wankers made you jaded? i know that sounds glib, but i'm new and not yet jaded. tra-la-la.

G

Ginkgo

It's very difficult to be open-minded and skeptical at the same time. It's something I struggle with on a constant basis. What's easier is refraining from cramming your opinions down someone's gullet, or what I call "MBTI Tourrette's". Some people will see you, and then ejaculate "Type XXXX!" At this point, it's hard to tell whether they're being serious, or whether you should take them seriously, or whether they have a mental disorder that needs to be rectified. I have alot of respect for you if you can make your opinions clear, explanatory, and without undo force.

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I've been here about six months. During that time, there are a couple things that seem noticeable:
- A gradual reduction in actual discussions about Typology
- An increasing number of members that change their listed type to something nonsensical

So, I am wondering why this is.

I'll be the first to admit that I haven't read any books on typology yet because I am lazy. It is something I would enjoy doing so I could have a more intelligent discussion about the theory.

People go to forums because of community. Sure MBTI is what brought us here in the first place, but people are social creatures and enjoy talk about other things.

Perhaps if you want to have a more intelligent discussion about the theory you should post some threads about the theory itself.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
in forum age for this forum I'm starting to think about moving into assisted living :doh:

I just resent people ruining my works of art with THE SAME DAMNED ARGUMENT THAT THEY HOLD IN EVERY THREAD! :thelook:

at least some culprits aren't here now, so it should be more fun :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Added a poll

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To me it seems like it's aways (from the beginning even) been getting more and more social/nonserious and less about typology. This may be a good or bad thing depending on your preferences. Or neutral, if you don't care too much.

I think some of this is due to size (more posters = more fluff) and perhaps some is simply forum aging.

Yeah. That's why I don't post here much anymore.
INTJMom! :hi: :hug:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's very difficult to be open-minded and skeptical at the same time. It's something I struggle with on a constant basis. What's easier is refraining from cramming your opinions down someone's gullet, or what I call "MBTI Tourrette's". Some people will see you, and then ejaculate "Type XXXX!" At this point, it's hard to tell whether they're being serious, or whether you should take them seriously, or whether they have a mental disorder that needs to be rectified. I have alot of respect for you if you can make your opinions clear, explanatory, and without undo force.

they should just do it behind the scenes if they feel compelled to do so... then they don't annoy the rest of us... most of us just find it annoying when someone feels the compusive need to always correct everyone on the forum :rolli:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People go to forums because of community. Sure MBTI is what brought us here in the first place, but people are social creatures and enjoy talk about other things.

Perhaps if you want to have a more intelligent discussion about the theory you should post some threads about the theory itself.

Well that makes sense. I'm more interested in application of the theory - slight nuance. Point taken however. Those of us who want more discussion on these things need to start more threads on it.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
My problem with it is that everyone seems to use their own framework or little definitions, there is so much variety that there is no real opportunity to reach any sort of consensus or conclusions. People just end up talking past each other.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
1.) I don't see the point in people putting something other than an MBTI type as their type. Don't shout at the world "I refuse to be categorized!" while being on a forum specifically for that purpose.

Being categorized as part of a collective whole doesn't make you cease to exist as an individual human; just as refusing to categorize yourself as part of a collective doesn't suddenly mean you are truly an individual beyond categorization and above the fact that humans are defined by their interaction with social groups and fill a finite number of roles with regards to said groups.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.) I originally joined the forum due to some stress and wanting to talk psychology in order to understand things better. I have found the forums very useful when reading posts by a few members knowledgeable about MBTI, who can point to people to read and explain things about why certain types work certain ways.

Having said that I admit that nowadays I don't talk that much about MBTI, because simply put, I don't know if at this stage, it offers that much room for expansion beyond what most of us know about it. It's good to see how the theory can be applied empirically etc. and to share experiences, and I enjoy posting on a forum where I can share that frame of reference with people.

But as theory I don't think it's been developed to a level where much more can be discussed on it than "the obvious". I think this will be the case until functions theory seeks a serious unity with the sciences (both natural and social) - and I don't mean crude empiricism, but scientifici-philosophical theories about the rules of how the universe works, and applying there to human psychological development.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just for fun, I try reading the poster and formulating an opinion. FWIW, 80% of the posters here have mistyped themselves - not as what they are, but what they'd like to be. It's interesting to watch - the characters that do not give out type have probably twigged this at some level.

:)

How accurate do you think you are in forming these opinions?

There is probably some percentage that fall into the category you describe but 80% seems awfully high.

G

Ginkgo

My problem with it is that everyone seems to use their own framework or little definitions, there is so mauch variety that there is no real opportunity to reach any sort of consensus or conclusions. People just end up talking past each other.

All communication is like that. It's just one lovely facet of how we work. It has its ups and downs. But if everyone were to be using the same models and modes of understanding, then we would all be in a consensus and life would get boring. Like feeding the same gruel to everyone, everyday. I prefer some choice, and I think everyone else should have some choice in how they form their own conclusions. There would be nothing to talk about with a consensus because everyone would be in the same house of understanding.

Mole

Permabanned
Hands Across the World

Of course this is a Typology Forum. Just look at the title above. It says Typology Central.

It does not say MBTI Central.

And this is all to the good, for as children we need MBTI to orientate ourselves in the world, but as we mature we put away childish things.

For as children we believe whatever we are told by Carl Jung, Mrs Briggs and her daughter Mrs Myers and this powerful American cult.

And as we grow from children to our full height, we learn to tolerate cognitive dissonance. And we discover cognitive dissonance leads us to new things.

But growing up is hard to do. And so we seek company and support. We reach out across the world and find hands reaching out to us.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1.) I don't see the point in people putting something other than an MBTI type as their type. Don't shout at the world "I refuse to be categorized!" while being on a forum specifically for that purpose.

Being categorized as part of a collective whole doesn't make you cease to exist as an individual human; just as refusing to categorize yourself as part of a collective doesn't suddenly mean you are truly an individual beyond categorization and above the fact that humans are defined by their interaction with social groups and fill a finite number of roles with regards to said groups.

Exactly. :doh:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
My problem with it is that everyone seems to use their own framework or little definitions, there is so much variety that there is no real opportunity to reach any sort of consensus or conclusions. People just end up talking past each other.
I agree.
That frustrates me, too.

G

Ginkgo

Not everyone will find the same purpose for something to be used. There were designers who devised purposes for this website, but they knew that not everyone was going to abide by those. Not everyone who attends a Catholic school is going to be Catholic. Not everyone at a homeless shelter is going to be homeless. Don't tell anyone what it's bad to break some De Facto rule that has nothing to do with forum administration.

Humans are only defined by other humans, and since all humans form subjective judgments, they cannot objectively judge other humans. The essential qualities of a human cannot be flawlessly defined. I don't think people think they will "cease to exist" if they are defined. It's quite the opposite. It's more like the definition doesn't properly denote who they are, and no definition ever will. However, we do make judgments about ourselves and others so that society can adjust and treat us a certain way. So it's up to us, as a society, to determine whether our judgments are ethical or conductive to our growth. Is the widespread usage of MBTI conductive to our growth? Does it actually work in a professional atmosphere? Does it hamper people when they're pigeon-holed? Does it foster people's strengths? What does it do?

As a self-help tool, I think it's utterly useless. It doesn't tell you anything about how to improve your own strengths or weaknesses, because it doesn't clearly qualify your personality like O.C.E.A.N. does. And if it doesn't tell you about your own strengths or weaknesses, how can it tell others about how you should find a niche in life? It just gives you a list of functions, which don't dictate behavior, but rather dictate psychological 'preferences'. There's no way to effectively use this thing. People would be better off taking multiple intelligences tests, or attending self-help seminars if they don't already have a grasp of what they want in life.