User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

27 45.00%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

8 13.33%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

11 18.33%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

21 35.00%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

30 50.00%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

7 11.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 3456715 Last

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Exactly how interested are people going to be when they read a member constantly claiming:

"I know more about Jung and typology than anyone here."

That type of hubris serves no one, nor does it encourage any type of innovative thinking from members who want to look at multiple theories to promote understanding.
    And let's not forget the daily clubbing of baby seals, as I now call it.
    Certain people now beat an MBTI type into someone, whether they want it or not.
    There's so many seals when "98% of the members here are mistyped". They're just begging to be pummeled, to some. It's like this ranch just got a shipment of new cattle and now they're a ready for a brandin'!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

the problem is sometimes you CAN start a nice thread on typology and it ends up as an argument between two or so really argumentative people who ignore other posters and post the dreaded walls of text... it can really kill a thread

and people who are over-insistant on telling other people that they are wrong instead of explaining things coherently and asking the occasional question and keeping open minds... that irks me as well... how does THAT benefit anyone
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    It's like this ranch just got a shipment of new cattle and now they're a ready for a brandin'!

MBTI
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    the problem is sometimes you CAN start a nice thread on typology and it ends up as an argument between two or so really argumentative people who ignore other posters and post the dreaded walls of text... it can really kill a thread

and people who are over-insistant on telling other people that they are wrong instead of explaining things coherently and asking the occasional question and keeping open minds... that irks me as well... how does THAT benefit anyone
    do it - not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

have the wankers made you jaded? i know that sounds glib, but i'm new and not yet jaded. tra-la-la.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

It's very difficult to be open-minded and skeptical at the same time. It's something I struggle with on a constant basis. What's easier is refraining from cramming your opinions down someone's gullet, or what I call "MBTI Tourrette's". Some people will see you, and then ejaculate "Type XXXX!" At this point, it's hard to tell whether they're being serious, or whether you should take them seriously, or whether they have a mental disorder that needs to be rectified. I have alot of respect for you if you can make your opinions clear, explanatory, and without undo force.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I've been here about six months. During that time, there are a couple things that seem noticeable:
    - A gradual reduction in actual discussions about Typology
    - An increasing number of members that change their listed type to something nonsensical

So, I am wondering why this is.
    I'll be the first to admit that I haven't read any books on typology yet because I am lazy. It is something I would enjoy doing so I could have a more intelligent discussion about the theory.

People go to forums because of community. Sure MBTI is what brought us here in the first place, but people are social creatures and enjoy talk about other things.

Perhaps if you want to have a more intelligent discussion about the theory you should post some threads about the theory itself.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

in forum age for this forum I'm starting to think about moving into assisted living

I just resent people ruining my works of art with THE SAME DAMNED ARGUMENT THAT THEY HOLD IN EVERY THREAD!

at least some culprits aren't here now, so it should be more fun
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Added a poll

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

To me it seems like it's aways (from the beginning even) been getting more and more social/nonserious and less about typology. This may be a good or bad thing depending on your preferences. Or neutral, if you don't care too much.

I think some of this is due to size (more posters = more fluff) and perhaps some is simply forum aging.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Yeah. That's why I don't post here much anymore.
    INTJMom!
    -end of thread-

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    It's very difficult to be open-minded and skeptical at the same time. It's something I struggle with on a constant basis. What's easier is refraining from cramming your opinions down someone's gullet, or what I call "MBTI Tourrette's". Some people will see you, and then ejaculate "Type XXXX!" At this point, it's hard to tell whether they're being serious, or whether you should take them seriously, or whether they have a mental disorder that needs to be rectified. I have alot of respect for you if you can make your opinions clear, explanatory, and without undo force.
    they should just do it behind the scenes if they feel compelled to do so... then they don't annoy the rest of us... most of us just find it annoying when someone feels the compusive need to always correct everyone on the forum :rolli: