User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

27 45.00%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

8 13.33%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

11 18.33%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

21 35.00%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

30 50.00%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

7 11.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1422232425 Last

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I've been here about six months. During that time, there are a couple things that seem noticeable:
    - A gradual reduction in actual discussions about Typology
    - An increasing number of members that change their listed type to something nonsensical

So, I am wondering why this is.
    I don't come here for typology. It's okay, and I look at some typology threads. I think there is something in MBTI and I don't completely disregard it, but I don't take it seriously either. I don't think i'd enjoy this site if all it ever became was typology thread after typology thread.

Maybe some people list their type to something nonsensical because they don't want their opinion to be disregarded by some idiot who thinks their type isn't deep enough or smart enough.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Edasich View Post
    I don't come here for typology. It's okay, and I look at some typology threads. I think there is something in MBTI and I don't completely disregard it, but I don't take it seriously either. I don't think i'd enjoy this site if all it ever became was typology thread after typology thread.

Maybe some people list their type to something nonsensical because they don't want their opinion to be disregarded by some idiot who thinks their type isn't deep enough or smart enough.
    I may be missing something here, and this is not a dig, but if you didn't come here for typology, I am very curious as to why you joined a typology community?
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I mostly don't talk about typology but I'm glad I can randomly start linking it into other topics without getting the look that I would in real life.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I mostly don't talk about typology but I'm glad I can randomly start linking it into other topics without getting the look that I would in real life.
    This is an interesting point - I have been talking about typology and learning styles for years to the disdain of a number of colleagues BUT when they attended a proscribed professional development course recently you would think that they just discovered on their own the best thing since sliced bread LOL
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    I am just wondering if everyone at your work or school only ever discusses Work or school?
    Those areas (grades K-12 especially in the U.S.) typically have more of a general focus and as people spend almost half of their waking life at these places it would be bizarre if they did only discuss the focus of these places at these places. This is comparable more to going to a literature meeting at the local library only to consistently get into knitting.

It seems like the "in" thing to do - to call yourself WILD or NANO or MILF. Haha. What's the point of your joke? I do think it takes away from the community. There are likely those who have been around longer who actually know - so in a sense it creates exclusivity as well.
    Indeed. I find it ironic how people who are most obsessed with being different, both online and in the real world, are those who ultimately come off as being the most collectivist.

To be legitimately different from others requires moral courage: the ability to share unpopular views and to be alone for it if need be. The majority of people wish to be special in a sense but a small minority possess the later trait.

I have you all fooled. I'm really a 70-year-old female ESFP.
    I never would have guessed you to be a day over 69 from the picture in your avatar.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I've been here about six months. During that time, there are a couple things that seem noticeable:
    - A gradual reduction in actual discussions about Typology
    - An increasing number of members that change their listed type to something nonsensical

So, I am wondering why this is.
    MBTI is not in a vacuum.
    Find the context in basicness.

In the way of an analogy.
    I was in the porch in the morning. It was sunlight.
    The house of the neighbour was only partially lit by sunlight.
    Sunlight was obstructed by an obstacle ahead of it. My house.

MBTI
    STP

I did a search yesterday and came across this which I thought applied perfectly here...I didnt focus so much on the men/women, but the concept behind it.

We (men at least; it does not seem to hamper women at all) cannot debate, discuss or argue successfully or meaningfully if we do not agree to the meaning of the words or symbols we are using. Too often we (again men) argue to the death about something that a third party observer realizes is actually agreement in concept but using different words to say or describe the same thing; but, that neither party can agree on the meaning of the words that they are using. We are then in fact arguing semantics, which is meaningless, pointless and accomplishes nothing but raising tempers and levels of frustration however much fun and great a pastime it may be.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I voted for-

"Too many circular discussions - been there, done that."
    "Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point."
    "This is a great little community - that's why I'm here."

Reasons?

Well, it does get old discussing the same thing over and over again. And it also gets old because the usual debators are so set in their views that there isn't a point. It got to the point where I could predict pretty much exactly what the people were going to say next...

The forum goes through phases. The veterans stop debating, new people join the forum and start threads to debate and debate in other threads. Then those people get tired of it and leave, and more people come in to start more stuff up. I think we're in a typology depression right now, when the new people show up and ask questions is when the forum is booming with typology stuff. And when people start leaving is when it goes through a depression.

So I stick around because of the people here. I really like the community! I also stick around because of the enneagram. I haven't really found an enneagram forum that's much like this one. I also like being here because I like to debate.

I don't usually speak my mind on here, but I didn't vote that option because that isn't the main reason I don't participate much anymore (like the above ones are). But I don't usually speak my mind on here because when I do some idiot comes in to tell me how their opinion is better; or I sound like a dick (because I definitely can be with my views on people and things, so I normally just shut my mouth in most situations). Or I just get ignored, and the Ne dominant who's dominating the thread gets all of the attention over me and some of the others expressing their views. Which I wouldn't be surprised if that happened to this post.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    I did a search yesterday and came across this which I thought applied perfectly here...I didnt focus so much on the men/women, but the concept behind it.
    Clearly, this person has been observing TypeC squabbles:
    We are then in fact arguing semantics, which is meaningless, pointless and accomplishes nothing but raising tempers and levels of frustration however much fun and great a pastime it may be.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I've been on MBTI forums since 2002, so I've seen most of the typological discussions and don't have a strong drive to rehash stuff again. I do enjoy the community of people who are interested in personality and social sciences and share a context of familiarity with MBTI.

I think MBTI can be a useful tool for self-discovery and facilitating understanding and communication between people (especially very different people) but beyond that, I don't take it particularly seriously.

I stick around because I've made some friends over the years and because it's entertaining.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers