User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

27 45.00%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

8 13.33%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

11 18.33%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

21 35.00%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

30 50.00%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

7 11.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 132122232425 Last

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I'm easily confused. Doing a little research, I've learned they:
    - are largely solitary, stalk-and ambush predators
    - are opportunistic in prey selection
    - are a keystone predator, playing an important role in stabilizing ecosystems and regulating the population of prey species
    - have an exceptionally powerful bite allowing them to piece the shells of armoured reptiles

So, do you identify with these attributes?
    In a literal sense, not at all. You are making an issue out of 4 letters, again. Lol.
    Relax. Have a friggin' martini.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I'm easily confused. Doing a little research, I've learned they:
    - are largely solitary, stalk-and ambush predators
    - are opportunistic in prey selection
    - are a keystone predator, playing an important role in stabilizing ecosystems and regulating the population of prey species
    - have an exceptionally powerful bite allowing them to piece the shells of armoured reptiles

So, do you identify with these attributes?

I don't know about Jaguar, but I feel that you might...
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post

I don't know about Jaguar, but I feel that you might...
    Now you're just being mean

He's the WILD BITE Jaguar. I'm a Highlander.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I don't typically mean to be... mean... but it just seems like it's been a lot of silly attacks. So what, if someone doesn't want to fill in the blanks with their personality type. One could simply ask the person what their type is and get to know them on a more personal level. And also, it shows a little bit about the person to fill in the blanks creatively. And as far as the off topic threads go, I feel like it's the same way with that. You can see a particular persons type in action, by the way they respond, the way they think, etc. It's all very fascinating in my opinion.
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

oh, and yes, yes. of course you're a highlander. i like that avatar, btw. not to mention, i love INFP's.
    -John Green

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I don't typically mean to be... mean... but it just seems like it's been a lot of silly attacks. So what, if someone doesn't want to fill in the blanks with their personality type. One could simply ask the person what their type is and get to know them on a more personal level. And also, it shows a little bit about the person to fill in the blanks creatively. And as far as the off topic threads go, I feel like it's the same way with that. You can see a particular persons type in action, by the way they respond, the way they think, etc. It's all very fascinating in my opinion.
    Well, it isn't meant to be an attack at all. I'm very sorry if it's coming across that way. It is really about authenticity, integrity, confidence in who you are - or something like that. I'm just not sure.

In either case, this thread has helped to elucidate why people change their type to those nonsensical things.

I'm a big fan of creativity in general. The off topic threads are sometimes the best ones

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The problem is that we are not based on personality theory, we are based on MBTI.

For instance, a group of Australian psychologists has recently published a book on personality theory. And although it is exhaustive, it contains no mention of MBTI. And this is because MBTI is not a personality theory.

So if MBTI is not a personality theory, what is it?

MBTI is a confidence trick like astrology. And MBTI is a powerful and popular American cult, not unlike Scientology.

So caveat emptor - let the guinea pigs beware.
    What an uninformed thing to say!! MBTI was developed and based on Jungian functions by Katherine Briggs and her daughter, Isobel Briggs Myers. Why was it developed?

Certainly not for pop psychology, but originally as an aid to fast tracking the re-entry into the workforce of women replacing men (who were away at war) during WWII. It assisted in quickly identifying aptitude and skill potential to best utilise the replacement workforce.

There are a variety of personality theories and tests - which would you have people believe Victor? Any of these tests singly or combined does not define who you are! Only you can do that.

In fact, when an MBTI administrator or an administrator of any of the psychometric instruments provides testing they emphasise that the descriptions are a guide only and, if people do not feel that the type fits them, they are advised to select best fit.

Any psychometric instrument does not tell the whole story - you do by putting together the pieces. MBTI is not the panacea for all but is an excellent starting place for self-reflection and often a good confirmation of skills and talents you may have.

It is certainly considerably better than some of the every-man-is-an-expert pop psychology that seeks to make money by telling linear thinkers that they can think laterally by following a linear technique and you can pay me several hundred dollars while I show you the process. Hullo!!!!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    What an uninformed thing to say!! MBTI was developed and based on Jungian functions by Katherine Briggs and her daughter, Isobel Briggs Myers. Why was it developed?

Certainly not for pop psychology, but originally as an aid to fast tracking the re-entry into the workforce of women replacing men (who were away at war) during WWII. It assisted in quickly identifying aptitude and skill potential to best utilise the replacement workforce.
    That's helpful to know. Didn't realize that.

There are a variety of personality theories and tests - which would you have people believe Victor? Any of these tests singly or combined does not define who you are! Only you can do that.

In fact, when an MBTI administrator or an administrator of any of the psychometric instruments provides testing they emphasise that the descriptions are a guide only and, if people do not feel that the type fits them, they are advised to select best fit.

Any psychometric instrument does not tell the whole story - you do by putting together the pieces. MBTI is not the panacea for all but is an excellent starting place for self-reflection and often a good confirmation of skills and talents you may have.
    How remarkably well said.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post

I am just wondering if everyone at your work or school only ever discusses Work or school?
    Umm, no, wrong. If he wanted to discuss "forums" then your analogy would be accurate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smile

MBTI is not the panacea for all but is an excellent starting place for self-reflection
    We learn more by reflecting on MBTI than oneself.