User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

    27 45.00%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

    8 13.33%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

    11 18.33%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

    21 35.00%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

    30 50.00%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

    7 11.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 91718192021 Last

Results 181 to 190 of 248

  1. #181
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Things become to defined and we begin identifying values vs non-values and bring in personal values of values.
    True and I know that I am not entirely right. But I know too that I am not entirely wrong and thats enough for me to give mbti the benefit of the doubt

    in german its called: dangerous half-knowledge -.-
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  2. #182
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    I really like the values mbti presents and I can until today not get enough of reading entp profiles and learning new facettes of how life could be, but in real life the story is rather complicated.

    I had that thing lately when my boss appointed me to project manager with the words that he thinks I am decisive enough for the job though I was thinking of myself I am anything else but that. And on another occasion, co-workers reflected me as the typical computer nerd, which is true but creates in the end an ENTJ/INTP hybrid with arcane powers and the paladin fear bubble.

    All these reflections I received where for real, but I in the meantime I already had created an image of myself and my real self was quiet different from that and not even in a negative sense.

    This is a personal problem of mine and I have the luck of having a wise enough gf to show me that discrepancy, therefore if everyone would have a wise partner at hand too, I'ld be cool with mbti.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  3. #183
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    True and I know that I am not entirely right. But I know too that I am not entirely wrong and thats enough for me to give mbti the benefit of the doubt

    in german its called: dangerous half-knowledge -.-
    I dont believe half-knowledge is dangerous unless you need or want something to rely on.
    Im out, its been fun

  4. #184
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I really like the values mbti presents and I can until today not get enough of reading entp profiles and learning new facettes of how life could be, but in real life the story is rather complicated.

    I had that thing lately when my boss appointed me to project manager with the words that he thinks I am decisive enough for the job though I was thinking of myself I am anything else but that. And on another occasion, co-workers reflected me as the typical computer nerd, which is true but creates in the end an ENTJ/INTP hybrid with arcane powers and the paladin fear bubble.

    All these reflections I received where for real, but I in the meantime I already had created an image of myself and my real self was quiet different from that and not even in a negative sense.

    This is a personal problem of mine and I have the luck of having a wise enough gf to show me that discrepancy, therefore if everyone would have a wise partner at hand too, I'ld be cool with mbti.
    That matches the perception I get from an ENTP I work with who is in a project lead position.
    Im out, its been fun

  5. #185
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Ya it maybe is an entp thing too of on the one hand being interested into mbti and on the other hand having a wanting knack for being recognized as an independent thinker.

    Well fuck that, mbti aint that bad, I think I only have issues with people who really rely on its contents 100%.

    We should indeed again have more conversations on the content of mbti. The ones we had back then were inspiring on a daily basis
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  6. #186
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    The biggest issue I find here is that surface is confused with who we are personality wise in regard to the functions. We get confused and lost in the transition from surface to deepness. Because there are more then one way to skin a cat we end up with a many to many relationship in regard to surface to internal. This is the disconnect I see. We really need a surface personality and an internal personality and be able to distinguish the 2 before we can even start to understand types any better then what do right now.
    Im out, its been fun

  7. #187
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    The biggest issue I find here is that surface is confused with who we are personality wise in regard to the functions. We get confused and lost in the transition from surface to deepness. Because there are more then one way to skin a cat we end up with a many to many relationship in regard to surface to internal. This is the disconnect I see. We really need a surface personality and an internal personality and be able to distinguish the 2 before we can even start to understand types any better then what do right now.
    Interesting... when you say surface personality and internal personality, do you mean that we each have two four-letter types? Or that each type incorporates two different types of people? Or is it independent of MBTI type?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  8. #188
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Interesting... when you say surface personality and internal personality, do you mean that we each have two four-letter types? Or that each type incorporates two different types of people? Or is it independent of MBTI type?
    When we base things on what people do it is surface level, when its based on how we internally are its internal. I think each person is a single type, but because of the methods we use to go about deciding type we have brought it into the world of surface level and now have a mixture of surface vs internal.
    Im out, its been fun

  9. #189
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Ok that makes sense to me. How can we describe/define something we cannot see directly though? I guess that's the real question of all of this...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  10. #190
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I was thinking that there also seems to be a trend in authoritarian personalities critisizing types and telling others their types are incorrect based on their own interpretations of typing and the functions.
    I find this fascinating. There are some that are so utterly confident in their ability to ascertain somebody's type based on their writing. I wonder how it is they are so confident and admit to being a bit curious as to what techniques they're using. There might be something we could learn from them or at least there could be a discussion on exactly what they are doing so we can critique the validity of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I will once again turn on my pre-recorded message that I've written many times (lol), but I view the 16 types as 16 'trends' or general ways of being/approaches to life. They are categories/TYPES, after all. To think everyone on this planet is going to relate 100% to one and only one seems a bit presumptuous; what about those who are somewhat between one or two?
    It's not a popular view here but this is one reason something like MBTI Step 2 is good because it gives you a little more granular insight. I'm surprised so many people don't think it's worth the $90 given how much time they spend on this forum and how much their time is worth. In either case, you have to take this stuff with a large grain of salt because it just gives you some general ideas of how somebody might be anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I agree; I wear my INFP badge with pride. Yet, I only list my type off and on. I do find that people use it inappropriately as a data point, or rank it as qualitatively more important than what I say - and instead of listening to what I say, they look at my type and extrapolate from that rather than the other way around. Still, even when I don't list my type, you do have a data point for reference, just not the one you "want" Highlander.
    .....

    Be cool, don't worry if the letters aren't listed. You don't like it because you lose that data point; instead just read what people write instead of needing to categorize it by type all the time.

    Personally I don't come here to be an experiment where you all push buttons to see what reaction is elicited.
    ....

    It is annoying to lead a cogent discussion and have someone say "all you INFPs are emo anyway, don't try to tell me otherwise" or alternatively, rep me that I must be an INFJ (presumably because I am insightful or "care" about others).
    Is it really like that for you? That is, are people treating you differently because of what type you have down? Maybe you do a better job of noticing.

    Really, the "experiment" comment seems a bit uncalled for. Who is pushing buttons to see what kind of reaction they can elicit?


    Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    To me this is more than just annoying - it is prejudice in the true meaning of the word - to prejudge! Not quite up there with prejudice against all members of a religion or race or country, but certainly on the way and just demonstrates lack of maturity on their part.
    Again, disturbing if people are being treated differently because of type.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 09:26 AM
  2. This Is An Introduction, Believe It Or Not
    By DarkestHour in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 12:39 AM
  3. MBTI is not Typology.
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 05:00 PM
  4. This is the relationship forum, right?
    By Eiddy in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-05-2009, 01:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO