User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

    27 45.00%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

    8 13.33%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

    11 18.33%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

    21 35.00%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

    30 50.00%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

    7 11.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 71516171819 Last

Results 161 to 170 of 248

  1. #161
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    The study of temperament and personality is overall interesting and useful. I was actually glad when the forum name was changed to Typology Central, because it creates a broader scope. My understanding is that each of the systems I've read about has its limitations, but that doesn't mean there is nothing to be gained. MBTI, Enneagram, or anything else can be a useful starting point to see how others have thought about temperament and ways to distill core attributes and organize them into a system of categorization. I do think there are some categories in these systems that do reflect fundamental aspects of human thought and behavior, but there is probably a great deal more time and investigation needed to have a consistent and valid system. Having a forum where a mix of these can be compared and questioned is the ideal format for looking into this topic.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  2. #162
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The resounding lack of agreement about anything concerning typology sort of kills any chance of discussing it in reason.

    Something like a psychological typology, any typology, requires some degree of common understanding and consensus, and that has essentially never existed on this forum.

    I think I could sincerely say yes to all of the optons.
    I agree. Plus, when people have really narrow views of which functions do what and what each type is or is not capable of, it gets a bit old.

  3. #163
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    I don't understand this.

    If I tell you my age, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, income bracket, occuation etc., none of this will mean I am purely defiend by those things. they simply add a context ot ones understanding of a person.

    If this were for example a forum about religion, it would make sense for one to list ones religious orientation as a a type. This wouldn't mean your whole life were reduced to that. If it were a forum about work, it would make sense to list your occupation. Again, this wouldn't mean your whole existence is reduced to that. Likewise any other "special interest".
    Or add a context of misunderstanding.

    Imagine I tell you I am a web developer (which is true). Thus, you think I must be good with computers, and thus proceed to ask me how to fix a hardware issue. Do you see the potential disconnect? (And this happens to me frequently IRL - the field of computer work is so large, and ordinary folks have little context to that, so they make these mistaken assumptions.)

    And this happens here on the forum all the time when one interprets what is read through the lens of their type.

    If I was INTJ and said "I am sad" it means something qualitatively different here than when an INFP says it.

    Why is that?

    I do hear your point. Your type does not define everything about YOU - knowing it (for me) may affect how I interact with you, to the end of increasing our mutual understanding. But on this forum, knowledge of type also becomes an exploitive tool in order to create conflict and diminish respect.

    As I already said, I don't wish to be a guinea pig for ridiculous confirmation bias.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  4. #164
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Or add a context of misunderstanding.

    Imagine I tell you I am a web developer (which is true). Thus, you think I must be good with computers, and thus proceed to ask me how to fix a hardware issue. Do you see the potential disconnect? (And this happens to me frequently IRL - the field of computer work is so large, and ordinary folks have little context to that, so they make these mistaken assumptions.)

    And this happens here on the forum all the time when one interprets what is read through the lens of their type.
    But how will those misunderstandings be overcome but through practical experience? If that heppened, I would then learn that a computer programmer can't necessarilly fix hardware, and both me and the programmer would have benefitted.

    As I already said, I don't wish to be a guinea pig for ridiculous confirmation bias
    Ok, a question - If you were convinced that an experiment were useful and worked, would you agree to be part of it?

    Lots of stereotypes come with INTP but by in many cases not conforming to them while listing my type as INTP I feel that in a miniscule way I potentially help to educate someone against them and encourage them to seek a better udnerstanding of MBTI and functions theory.

    Now on a very large scale like this forum I think that does have an effect. It certainly helped me to develop my uderstanding.

    So I don't mean to sound harsh against you, it's nothing personal, but I kind of think: Well if you want the benefit of being part of a completely voluntary conline community based on personality theory, you should also accept some responsibility in turn to the collective whole that comes with that with that, and allow yourself to be a bit of a "guinea pig".
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

  5. #165
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    The problem is not whether people agree or not or share the same damn beliefs or understanding of various degrees of psychology and typology.

    NO

    The problem is this

    Assertion: I think you're a coward if you don't post a type.
    Group 1: I think you're a coward if you do post a type because you need to be confined and restricted in a box. I am unique. I believe this leads to better understanding.
    Group 2: Well I think you're a coward if you don't post a type because by posting a type it means I get to show how different I am from the general type and fight for what I believe. I am unique. I believe this leads to better understanding.
    Group 3: What the fuck are you all talking about? There isn't enough information for me to decide anything upon. Provide more contextual details and information or shut the fuck up. I am unique. I believe this leads to better understanding.
    All Other Groups: I don't know shit or I don't know what anyone is really talking about and I don't care, but I have cute little anecdotes, sayings, and quotes that give the impression that I'm above all this typology biz. I am unique. I believe this leads to better understanding.

    Assertion: If you are honest with yourself, you should know your type.
    Group 1: I disagree because I believe the test is dishonest. I am unique. I believe this leads to better understanding.
    Group 2: I agree because I believe the test is honest. I am unique. I believe this leads to better understanding.
    Group 3: What the fuck are you all talking about? There isn't enough information for me to decide anything upon. Provide more contextual details and information or shut the fuck up. I am unique. I believe this leads to better understanding.
    All Other Groups: I don't know shit or I don't know what anyone is really talking about and I don't care, but I have cute little anecdotes, sayings, and quotes that give the impression that I'm above all this typology biz. I am unique. I believe this leads to better understanding.

    The problem is this

    WE'RE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY

  6. #166
    Senior Member Reflection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Assertion: If you are honest with yourself, you should know your type.
    Group 1: I disagree because I believe the test is dishonest. I am unique. I believe this leads to better understanding.
    Group 2: I agree because I believe the test is honest. I am unique. I believe this leads to better understanding.
    Group 3: What the fuck are you all talking about? There isn't enough information for me to decide anything upon. Provide more contextual details and information or shut the fuck up. I am unique. I believe this leads to better understanding.
    All Other Groups: I don't know shit or I don't know what anyone is really talking about and I don't care, but I have cute little anecdotes, sayings, and quotes that give the impression that I'm above all this typology biz. I am unique. I believe this leads to better understanding.

    Is there no: "I know myself best, so I don't feel threatened if other people interpret me differently, because they'll never really know me?"

    On a side note, as a new member, I'm just reading older topics and trying to get a sense for things.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

  7. #167
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Smile Let the Guinea Pigs Beware.

    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Well if you want the benefit of being part of a completely voluntary conline community based on personality theory, you should also accept some responsibility in turn to the collective whole that comes with that with that, and allow yourself to be a bit of a "guinea pig".
    The problem is that we are not based on personality theory, we are based on MBTI.

    For instance, a group of Australian psychologists has recently published a book on personality theory. And although it is exhaustive, it contains no mention of MBTI. And this is because MBTI is not a personality theory.

    So if MBTI is not a personality theory, what is it?

    MBTI is a confidence trick like astrology. And MBTI is a powerful and popular American cult, not unlike Scientology.

    So caveat emptor - let the guinea pigs beware.

  8. #168
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    The study of temperament and personality is overall interesting and useful. I was actually glad when the forum name was changed to Typology Central, because it creates a broader scope.
    So am I. I'm glad too that the name was changed from MBTI Central to Typology Central.

    However it is interesting to note that typology includes the typology of personality, but also includes the typology of music, the typology of literature, the typology of atomic particles, and the typology of galaxies. In fact 'typology' is a generic word that can be applied to many studies.

    So we now have a very broad field in which to play. As indeed we are a very broad church. And we are fortunate to be well run and tolerant.

  9. #169
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Smile Little Boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Rather than see the 4 letters and thus cram what an individual says into that preconceived notion of the box, should one not read what someone says and use that info to EXPAND the very box itself?

    I think, generally speaking, people reduce the boxes to seem much smaller than they actually are.
    For, "We all live in boxes made of ticky-tacky and we all look just the same", click on -

    YouTube - Malvina Reynolds - Little Boxes (Full Studio Version)

  10. #170
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Typology is like a drug: it gives a kick for some time, but in the end you recognize it doesnt give the answers you were searching for all along.

    Only the hippies then stay in Wonderland.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 09:26 AM
  2. This Is An Introduction, Believe It Or Not
    By DarkestHour in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 12:39 AM
  3. MBTI is not Typology.
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 05:00 PM
  4. This is the relationship forum, right?
    By Eiddy in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-05-2009, 01:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO