User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

27 45.00%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

8 13.33%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

11 18.33%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

21 35.00%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

30 50.00%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

7 11.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 4121314151624 Last

Tater, you are twisted!

Ginkgo

I'm anticipating that one day, my cocker spaniel will urinate on an electrical outlet. This is a great example of how we inadvertently contribute to natural selection with our technology! What a wonderful learning experience for the whole family.

wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall

Ginkgo

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    What you've said about serial self testers makes perfect sense.

Do you have any ideas on types of threads or content that would be interesting?

I would like to see more discussion on practical application of the theory.
    OMG!! This thread has actually developed a life of its own while I have been at work! I need to digest the posts.

Being an INTP I enjoy the more serious threads but I would like to see more about people wanting to understand each others' known type/temperament/functions and where the underlying aptitudes and talents fit in to the larger scheme of things. Since I joined I have seen too many threads that are literally type bashing and intolerance.

David Keirsey's little narrative at the beginning of "Please Understand Me II" is a good place to start.

Please understand me...

If I do not want what you want,
    please try not to tell me that my want is wrong.

Or if I believe other than you,
    at least pause before you correct my view.

Or if my emotion is less than yours, or more,
    given the same circumstances,
    try not to ask me to feel more strongly or weakly.

Or yet if I act, or fail to act, in the manner
    of your design for action, let me be.

I do not, for the moment at least,
    ask you to understand me.

That will come only when you are willing
    to give up changing me into a copy of you.

I may be your spouse, your parent, your offsping,
    your friend, or your colleague.

If you will allow me any of my own wants, or emotions,
    or beliefs, or actions, then you open yourself,
    so that some day these ways of mine might not seem so wrong,
    and might finally appear to you as right -- for me.

To put up with me is the first step to understanding me.

Not that you embrace my ways as right for you, but that
    you are no longer irritated or disappointed with me
    for my seeming waywardness.

And in understanding me you might come to prize
    my differences from you, and, far from seeking to change me,
    preserve and even nurture those differences.

© David Keirsey – see http:wwww.keirsey.com
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

i didn't vote because i felt like there are a lot of mbti type/enneagram's and other personality type forums going quite proficiently. i see very few that aren't related. i find it equally great that there are indeed a few non-type related forums, as we can still find other common grounds between the people who's types we already know and see how they react in other areas of discussion and topics. if a particular comment strikes a chord with me, i may look into the person more and visit other comments they've made. often times, somewhere in there, they have listed their type. and with the non-type threads, you can watch a particular personality type in action and actually see how, say, the ESTP person works/thinks, etc. one could always just try to guess the type depending upon their input, which always seems to be fun to do anyways.
    Last edited by IndyGhost; 06-15-2010 at 03:43 AM. Reason: clarification
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I was thinking that there also seems to be a trend in authoritarian personalities critisizing types and telling others their types are incorrect based on their own interpretations of typing and the functions.
    The beauty of a forum like this is that we have a sea of personalities and thus all their differing opinions, who is correct is not really the point.
    For me the point is to listen, take part and learn.
    I like the melting pot, even if elements stray at times.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Most of the ones I know that have some other acronym for their type, including myself, have delved deeply into typology at some point and surfaced a changed person, or realized that, for one reason or another, MBTI type does not really reflect the essence of them for whatever reason, and choose not to be branded by it.

If you can search beyond those 4 letters you might ask yourself why someone would want to do this. It isn't the end of the story, it isn't because we are cowards, and I do not think that INFJ under my username could represent me any better than my candid posts or comments (which few respond to I might add).

What, pray tell, would you like to discuss about typology, Highlander? I'm all ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Exactly. To me, it almost tells you more about someone to see MILF as their type instead of their type. I mean would Jaguar be the same if you saw ENTJ under his avatar? He's totally WILD or BITE. Just as an avatar can give you a different perspective than someone's pic. A pic is more representative of exactly how a person looks, but is that really important? A false acronym is just another way for someone to express him/herself. Why is that frustrating, I wonder? It just makes me more curious most of the time.

The only place it could get truly confusing is in a typology thread with new members, and in that case, they can just ask if they so desire.
    Part of the value that members get out of the forum is to see how others of a particular type respond and interact. Your posts and type in combination help me to understand a little bit more about who you are. It helps in understanding similarities and differences between INFJs. New members will rarely ask what your type is if you are MILF of WILD. If somebody doesn't put it down in their profile, one may assume that they don't want to share it or they think typology is a joke. They are "above" it now.

As far as our individuality goes, I couldn't articulate it any better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    1.)
    Being categorized as part of a collective whole doesn't make you cease to exist as an individual human; just as refusing to categorize yourself as part of a collective doesn't suddenly mean you are truly an individual beyond categorization and above the fact that humans are defined by their interaction with social groups and fill a finite number of roles with regards to said groups.
    I guess I'm more interested in practical application of the theory - how it applies in daily life in interactions between people. If it doesn't then it really doesn't have much value. This is the problem with the "folk typology" mantra. Criticizing without providing a practical alternative isn't particularly helpful.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Since I joined I have seen too many threads that are literally type bashing and intolerance.

David Keirsey's little narrative at the beginning of "Please Understand Me II" is a good place to start.

Please understand me...

If I do not want what you want,
    please try not to tell me that my want is wrong.

Or if I believe other than you,
    at least pause before you correct my view.

Or if my emotion is less than yours, or more,
    given the same circumstances,
    try not to ask me to feel more strongly or weakly.

Or yet if I act, or fail to act, in the manner
    of your design for action, let me be.

I do not, for the moment at least,
    ask you to understand me.

That will come only when you are willing
    to give up changing me into a copy of you.

I may be your spouse, your parent, your offsping,
    your friend, or your colleague.

If you will allow me any of my own wants, or emotions,
    or beliefs, or actions, then you open yourself,
    so that some day these ways of mine might not seem so wrong,
    and might finally appear to you as right -- for me.

To put up with me is the first step to understanding me.

Not that you embrace my ways as right for you, but that
    you are no longer irritated or disappointed with me
    for my seeming waywardness.

And in understanding me you might come to prize
    my differences from you, and, far from seeking to change me,
    preserve and even nurture those differences.

© David Keirsey – see http:wwww.keirsey.com
    This is really good.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639