• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

This is not a Typology Forum

Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

• Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
INFP is a bit of a slur here. It's maybe the most disliked type that isn't an SJ.

1272927686008.gif

Mole

Permabanned
Well, of course the flaw in this argument is that we humans in practice have proven to have a remarkable ability to not understand each other. It's why MBTI was invented in the first place - because a lot of people suck at this. :)

Please, MBTI was plagiarised to induct American women into the WW II war machine.

And after the war, business used it to induct employees.

And no Psychology Department of any reputable University will touch it.

And ever since Max Weber wrote of the Protestant Sects and the Spirit of Capitalism, we have known that business and religion are happily married in the USA.

And that is what we see here. Like the internet, MBTI started out to service the USA war machine and then later was take up by business and religion.

And USA business/religion have exported MBTI as part of popular culture.

And because the USA has been the largest economy in the world for more than one hundred years, and remains the largest economy today, MBTI is a powerful and popular American cult.

So MBTI has more to do with the Cargo Cult in the Pacific, Astrology and Scientology than it has to do with a valid and reliable personality test.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
and don't forget phrenology and trepination :rolleyes:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
how about RETROPHRENOLOGY! :devil:

*cackles madly*

and there's a difference... you can't cut holes through people's skulls with an online test :cheese:

Mole

Permabanned
And astrology, ley lines, tarot... :whistling:

Sure, they are all part of the New Age, except the New Age is not so new.

The New Age is a romantic reaction to the Enlightenment. And the New Age has been with us for one hundred and fifty years, reaching its height of popularity in Germany in the 1920s and 1930s, just the time Carl Jung wrote, "Personality Types".

The New Age is simply reactionary but has been given a new lease of life by the business of USA religion.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
can you quit blaming the US for everything, or is it too painful to blame everyone else for buying what's being sold? the act is old, and you're going to claim that this is an ad hominem attack, but hearing the same damned blame game every time something is mentioned gets pretty lame after a while :thumbdown:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's also old news. I remember that awkward moment when INFPs from Global Chatter were thanking me for confronting people (particularly BlueWing/Solitary Walker) about dissing INFPs all the time. How long ago was that now?

INFP is a bit of a slur here. It's maybe the most disliked type that isn't an SJ.

This strikes me as incredibly STOOPID. INFPs are some of my favorite people.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So what is "BITE" supposed to mean anyway?

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I find this fascinating. There are some that are so utterly confident in their ability to ascertain somebody's type based on their writing. I wonder how it is they are so confident and admit to being a bit curious as to what techniques they're using. There might be something we could learn from them or at least there could be a discussion on exactly what they are doing so we can critique the validity of it.

I've thought the same things. I've been keeping up with the 'Mistyped Members' thread, and there's a tendency to just make broad declarations without backing them up or explaining them. Like "most of the INTPs here aren't really INTPs" and "a lot of ENPs here are really ESPs". It's all pretty meaningless without any explanation or discussion.

Is it really like that for you? That is, are people treating you differently because of what type you have down? Maybe you do a better job of noticing.

You don't have to take my word for it ... simply change your type to INFP and see what happens. See if you don't notice a shift in how your opinion is weighted in the whole equation.

I admit I haven't noticed this much either. I've noticed some isolated discussions where this attitude showed itself, but until I recently heard INFPs saying so I wasn't aware it was a general theme. Same with negative attitudes toward other types. It's harder to see subtle bias if it's not directed against you.

Of course people will read into things because of your displayed type, that's only natural but by displaying your type you can help prove those assumptions right or wrong. The more varied the members of each type are the deeper and more nuanced our understanding of each type will be.

:yes: If people can keep reasonably open minds, anyway.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've thought the same things. I've been keeping up with the 'Mistyped Members' thread, and there's a tendency to just make broad declarations without backing them up or explaining them. Like "most of the INTPs here aren't really INTPs" and "a lot of ENPs here are really ESPs". It's all pretty meaningless without any explanation or discussion.

That's an interesting observation. So are there certain types that tend to make the broad declarations without backing them up? Is there a pattern?

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
That's an interesting observation. So are there certain types that tend to make the broad declarations without backing them up? Is there a pattern?

I don't think so. The thread's become mostly banter lately anyway, without much typology discussion. Either way, I wish there was more actual talk about what makes someone think a certain poster is xxxx type.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You have to ask a Jaguar that question? Did WILD confuse you as well?

I'm easily confused. Doing a little research, I've learned they:
- are largely solitary, stalk-and ambush predators
- are opportunistic in prey selection
- are a keystone predator, playing an important role in stabilizing ecosystems and regulating the population of prey species
- have an exceptionally powerful bite allowing them to piece the shells of armoured reptiles

So, do you identify with these attributes?