User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 196

Thread: Catch-22

  1. #61
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I have several questions, all of which are why? I can see what you're doing, but the rationale as it relates to anything outside itself escapes me: what's the context?
    Whatever suggested, if I understood correctly, that I realize the theory. To make it concrete, so that it is useful. This is the context of the posts of today. It was a wise suggestion.

  2. #62
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I was thinking it must have been arbitrarily chosen as a median number for the purposes of calulation, so I'm glad I got that right.



    Your addition makes it a bit clearer, or at least points me towards what you might be getting at. You're talking about trying to theoretically map functional distribution between each side of the dichotomy, taking into account the usually excluded middle, or something of the kind? (I may not have put that very well, it's late and I'm sleepy )
    It was not arbitrarily chosen. I weighed the pros and cons. The alternatives would have been 4(5 X 5) and 8(9 x 9). We have no other alternatives, we cannot use 6 X 6 or 8 X 8 because as you say we need the medial point, therefore we need an odd number. Otherwise you are perfectly right.

  3. #63
    Reason vs Being ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    It was not arbitrarily chosen. I weighed the pros and cons. The alternatives would have been 4(5 X 5) and 8(9 x 9). We have no other alternatives, we cannot use 6 X 6 or 8 X 8 because as you say we need the medial point, therefore we need an odd number. Otherwise you are perfectly right.
    Because you were trying NOT to exclude the middle! Yeah, that's what I meant though. I didn't mean absolutely arbitrary, so much that use of the number 6 was not intrinsically meaningful beyond being convenient to build from.

    Do you think it would help, as far as making this broadly useful to people goes, to characterise the numbers in a more concrete way, with examples of what each represents?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

  4. #64
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Because you were trying NOT to exclude the middle! Yeah, that's what I meant though. I didn't mean absolutely arbitrary, so much that use of the number 6 was not intrinsically meaningful beyond being convenient to build from.

    Do you think it would help, as far as making this broadly useful to people goes, to characterise the numbers in a more concrete way, with examples of what each represents?
    Yes, sorry, it occured to me at the moment I posted that it was exactly what you meant.
    Forgive me the redundancy.

    I try to characterize the numbers with examples of what each represents. If and when I am up to the task ..

  5. #65
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    i feel like something really smart is going on here, and yet i have no idea what it is

    i like the way you speak in singsong-mystery, wildcat

  6. #66
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i feel like something really smart is going on here, and yet i have no idea what it is

    i like the way you speak in singsong-mystery, wildcat
    Thanks, skylights.
    I like your avatar. It rhymes with skylights perfectly.

  7. #67
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Thanks, skylights.
    I like your avatar. It rhymes with skylights perfectly.
    thanks! it was actually completely inadvertent. or at least, subconscious. i realized how they fit one day when i went to change my avatar. and then, i could not bring myself to change it.

  8. #68
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    thanks! it was actually completely inadvertent. or at least, subconscious. i realized how they fit one day when i went to change my avatar. and then, i could not bring myself to change it.
    There is no way you could have done it, skylights. The best is as far as it goes.

  9. #69
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Sorry, wildcat, I've been busy in some other threads.

    I'm gunna go to bed now, but I've subscribed, and I'll come back and check in on this thread later.

    I think I got a glimpse of what you were going for earlier, so hopefully I'll be able to understand it more comprehensively the next time.

    G'nite.

  10. #70
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Where is the MBTI lurkin'

    X = search.

    666X666
    666X666
    666X666
    666X666
    666X666
    666X666
    666X666

    Look at the number combinations.
    Not there.


    6666666
    6666666
    6666666
    X - - - -
    6666666
    6666666
    6666666

    Not there.

    X666666
    6X66666
    66X6666
    666X666
    6666X66
    66666X6
    666666X

    Not there.


    666666X
    66666X6
    6666X66
    666X666
    66X6666
    6X66666
    X666666

    Not even there.

Similar Threads

  1. Joseph Hellers Catch 22
    By Will2911 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 10:21 AM
  2. What threads catches your eye?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 09:48 AM
  3. Did anyone catch Obama's speech on race?
    By JuilinThiefTaker in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 09:23 AM
  4. Bond 22 title announced...
    By The Ü™ in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 12:49 AM
  5. Who invented catch? Dog or human?
    By Mort Belfry in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-20-2008, 11:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO