• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Happens When Type XXXX Becomes Depressed?

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
So, how does each type handle depression and/or what is most likely to cause each type to become depressed? Also, what does each type look like when depressed, ie, apparently, INTJ's are prone to becoming violent drinkers; I suppose, a better way to say this would be: how does each type behave when they are depressed?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
what would cause an ESTP to become depressed situationally? lack of freedom, boredom, feeling trapped...

ever see an ESTP laze around and do as little as possible even when there are fun things going on? :huh:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For INTP:

Probable causes of depression:
- Traumatic experience at a young age/adolescent age. Unable to rationalize their surroundings and situation. Not being able to find the answers they want, no, compulsively need to find.
- Irrational exclusion by people in their comfort zone.

Probable effects of depression:
- Apathy, distantiating oneself from responsibilities and people. Lacking any emotional fingerprint or expressive behaviour.
- In more serious cases it could lead to morally excluding oneself from societies standards. Resulting in irratic and immoral interaction by focusing on negative emotions in order to feel 'alive'.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cause of ESFP depression: Broke a nail.
Behavior: Cry loudly. Stomp feet, drink and drug ourselves into oblivion.

thescientist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Cause: In my case, it's been heart/emotion related and also feeling like a failure/negative self-perspective.

Behavior: Emotional breakdowns, extreme isolation (probably the most predominant), lack of appetite, no motivation or energy. In my case it has always been coupled with REALLY high anxiety.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Oh no. I'm having personality type confusion again...
I don't know about the below behavior for breaking a nail... I would just cut off the offending nail...
But feeling trapped... Ugh! That might cause me to cry loudly and stomp feet and throw a prima donna hissy fit...
???????????

Cause of ESFP depression: Broke a nail.
Behavior: Cry loudly. Stomp feet, drink and drug ourselves into oblivion.

what would cause an ESTP to become depressed situationally? lack of freedom, boredom, feeling trapped...

ever see an ESTP laze around and do as little as possible even when there are fun things going on? :huh:

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Depression can result from an inability to forefil the needs of the primary. Over indulging in the inferior can temporaily down out the primaries call. Getting stuck in the tertiary temptation can also lead to depression, as it prevents the person from actually dealing with their problems.

Basically, slipping into the lower order functions is common.

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
Every Myers Briggs type has a shadow side that they convert to when under extreme stress. This is a new development, but very widely accepted so far. It's generally very much the opposite of your true nature.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Every Myers Briggs type has a shadow side that they convert to when under extreme stress. This is a new development, but very widely accepted so far. It's generally very much the opposite of your true nature.

I can't imagine myself behaving like an ESFP. Hellz no.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
When Type XXXX is depressed, they drink a lot of moonshine.

Chloe

my friend is ESTP and enneagram 4, (weird combination i know), and when we were younger she was kinda dark, almost NF like... and grumpy.. it was all because of enneagram 4.... now she's like all ESTPs... very active and strong ..

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
So when an ISTP gets depressed...

We become ENFJs? :thelook:

G

Glycerine

So when an ISTP gets depressed...

We become ENFJs? :thelook:
Man, I become an inanely cruel ISTP when I get pissed/depressed. I will flat out criticize the person on something that hurts them to the core and laugh about it. Also, I could care less about any insult they throw back at me.

In my regular state, I worry way too much about offending people and get offended pretty easily.

Knowing all that about me, I am scared to see an ISTP in their ENFJ shadow.

The least scary shadow I have seen is the INFP's ESTJ shadow.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder if this might be more enneagram related. I say that because the way I get depressed sounds more like 9s in general than ISTPs in general. When I get depressed I'm like an empty shell. I'm very unresponsive. And I sleep a lot.

G

Glycerine

I wonder if this might be more enneagram related. I say that because the way I get depressed sounds more like 9s in general than ISTPs in general. When I get depressed I'm like an empty shell. I'm very unresponsive. And I sleep a lot.
Possibly. If it helps, I think I am a 3w4. However, what I said, was when I am in an extreme state.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For me and other ESTJs I know...

Probable cause: Feeling weak or helpless - i.e. feeling like there are things that I need to do that I am unable to do, and that there's nothing that can be done to make things right

Probable symptoms: Mood swings (abnormally gregarious/happy one minute, abnormally introverted/sad/angry the next), partaking in mindlessly fun activities instead of being productive, being more lazy and less motivated/organized, generally being a lot more quiet and reserved than usual

Edit: In response to above posts about the "shadow" type, I think I become INFP-ish under extreme stress, but not when I'm depressed. I'm distinctly ESTJ (and especially distinctively enneagram 1) when I'm depressed. But when so much intense stuff has happened to me that I'm essentially going through a system overload, that's when I become INFP - retreating into myself, watching everything going on outside of me and KNOWING that no one could possibly understand how deeply I am FEELING everything.
^... :doh:

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I wouldn't say entirely. I know when I become depressed, I can be mistaken for a very moody E/INFJ. I don't think dominant functions go away enough for the type to just take the whole switcharoo.