User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OctaviaCaesar View Post
    I'll start off. (Note: They have never taken the official MBTI, just internet approximations.) Sister 1 has always tested as an INFP. I can see that in her childhood, but she shows no orientation in adulthood toward Kiersey's Idealist traits--especially not self-actualization, which she laughs at me for being interested in. She has an F preference, I am pretty sure, being sensitive, but she is interested in science and is much like her INTJ boyfriend now; I wonder if he is the reason for this. She also has always been an amazing artist. I cannot figure out her type for sure.

Sister 2 has tested TWICE as ENFP but this cannot be true. She is a textbook ESTP: as early as two years old perfect strangers would watch her and tell my mother, "I think you've got your boy there." To this day she is proud of being "one of the guys." She fits all the descriptions of an SP Artisan. I just don't know why there is such a discrepancy in the test results.
    Well for starters, I don't think it's that rare for people to be a certain type, and then when taking various internet tests, come up as something else. And as INTJMom was saying, it could boil down to a disconnect between how your sisters perceive themselves (and thus how they interpret the questions and answer the questions), and how they actually are. Another possibility is that your sisters are borderline on one or more functions. I think the tests are much more accurate for those who are extreme E/I, N/S, T/F, P/J. Someone who's 40/60 on one or more functions would probably have a much harder time answering the questions, and might also test out as one of several different types whenever they take a test.

I know for myself, internet tests aren't great. With cognitive functions tests on the internet, I always come up as INFP. And for the longest time in my early 20's I thought I was INTJ, just because that's how I would test. In my particular case, I think a lot of my NT leanings would be due to my family -- mom is ISTJ, Dad is INTJ, brother is INTP. I was 'pushed' in that direction, so to speak.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I think the tests are much more accurate for those who are extreme E/I, N/S, T/F, P/J. Someone who's 40/60 on one or more functions would probably have a much harder time answering the questions, and might also test out as one of several different types whenever they take a test.
    I couldn't agree more.

My wife is on the fence with E/I and S/N which makes her hard to type. With all of the pressing outside influences is difficult not to force yourself towards the common ground.

It's funny. After I took a few different MBTI examinations, consistently tested as a biased INFP, and overcame the high and low of an accurate personality analysis, I asked myself, "You know who would like this?". And I promptly answered, "Everybody." Unfortunately, "nobody" would probably've been more accurate. I'm finding that most people think self-analysis is a bit silly. I'm waiting for my ole lady to throw me out the house with all my recent rhetoric.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Sister 1 sounds like my father: dream child growing up, amazing when it comes to music and visual art, and he's a refrigeration mechanic. I have him down as INFP because of how he still relates to his values dispite the crap life throws at him.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    As you get older, you become more well-rounded, so I can imagine it'd be very difficult to type a healthy adult in their 50s or older, unless you knew them very well. Maybe that's part of what's confusing things for you, Wandering?
    Makes lots of sense, yes. So I guess one way to type my mom would be to try and think of her as she was when she was younger? Not a bad idea. Thanks for the hint !

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I have some problems with typing my father in law and my husbands sister. Father in law is ISTJ, ISTP or INTJ. Husbands sister is ISTP, ISFP or ISFJ. She is not always very stable so it's not easy to find out her type. Sometimes my ISTP husband keeps surprising me with his big picture thinking and he seems very INTJ at times. I don't know why. I have even suspected my own type to be ENFx. My sister hates when I try to type her (very P'ish of her). She is INTP or ENTP. She herself says she is much like ENFP but I do not see the F very strong in her. She is definitely T. She does similar people tests that I see INTP's do here, so I would say she is belongs to the great INTP family.

It takes lots of self knowledge to find out what is your best fitting MBTI type. If the tests give lots of different results and there are no MBTI courses available (or one doesn't want to attend to them),I think the best way to find somebody's type is to observe them for a long time. It took me 12 years to understand my mother in law and it took me 3 years to figure out her MBTI type. It took so long because she behaves the way she thinks is appropriate and she hides her true self.

I have come across of many people who are obviously mistyping themselves. I think the problem is that a) they don't know themselves, b) they want to be something else than they are c) they think that somebody wants them to be something else. One guy at my work actually said to me that he is one personality type at work and another at home. Based on his behaviour I would say that he was somewhat unstable person. This guy imagined he was ENTJ even if his behaviour was saying totally different things e.g. he was definite P (started many things but didn't finish any). I have known ENTJ's and he was definitely not one. But he was unstable, and the MBTI is for typing healthy people.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    Makes lots of sense, yes. So I guess one way to type my mom would be to try and think of her as she was when she was younger? Not a bad idea. Thanks for the hint !
    Yes, Sis 1 was very INFP when she was young...I guess I will stick with that. Although I think she is a mentally stable person, I can somehow see her in the Artisan and Rational groups easily due to some similar traits she has within each of them.

Alcearos, it took 3 years to type someone!?!?!? Oh my gosh. I had better be prepared for difficulties in typing then. (I got The Art of SpeedReading People for Xmas and naively assumed it would now always be speedy .)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I suppose I would confuse you too...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by OctaviaCaesar View Post
    Yes, Sis 1 was very INFP when she was young...I guess I will stick with that. Although I think she is a mentally stable person, I can somehow see her in the Artisan and Rational groups easily due to some similar traits she has within each of them.

Alcearos, it took 3 years to type someone!?!?!? Oh my gosh. I had better be prepared for difficulties in typing then. (I got The Art of SpeedReading People for Xmas and naively assumed it would now always be speedy .)
    I've got that book, too. I like it a lot, but what I've been learning on this forum is that not everyone fits the stereotypes. The books do help, though.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I've got that book, too. I like it a lot, but what I've been learning on this forum is that not everyone fits the stereotypes. The books do help, though.
    I have the speedreading book too.

It's hard to type somebody if they are not showing their real preferences or if they are trying to be something they are not.

MBTI
    INFJ

My dear sweet grandmother was also hard to type. I had her pegged as an ISFP of an INFP, but I didn't know which. She has been notorious throughout our family for hating to ruffle feathers so much that she will agree with two people with opposite opinions one right after the other that no one seems to know what she really thinks on an issue. Her house is immaculate, she is never late, and she is easily worn out by too much contact with people. She practiced as a registered nurse, trained during WWII in a non-degree program taught by religious sisters at a Catholic hospital. As far as I can tell, she is ISFP, when I talked to her at Thanksgiving she indicated that she did not think she sounded N, although I am never sure if I explain things very well...she listens to whomever she is talking to for hours if they keep talking, and just agrees with everything anybody says and is so darn NICE!