User Tag List

123 Last

Default Why Did Jung leave typology behind?

So Jung wrote "the transcendent function" first, then "Psychological types" later. Then he seemed to take a more holistic perspective calling out the "conscious and unconscious" rather than relying upon functions in his later work.

(Based upon a cursory study, so PLEASE correct if I am wrong)

It was like he had unified all the underlying functional typology to be inclusive in his discussions of jungian analysis-thus no longer seemed to need to call the topic out specifically? Just a guess, I really have no idea...

Why did he leave the topic of personality types behind? Why did he not keep using it as a framework later on? Does anyone know?
    Last edited by Bellflower; 06-06-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: fixed spelling error in title

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I think you mean Typology????
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Bwhahahahah!!! LOL, that is hysterical! My bad..Mods??? Can you fix my Ti fail in the thread title?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

I'm curious... can you give me an example of this? What are you basing this off of?
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

I think he realized that his theory wasn't really as holistic as he had hoped it could be.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    So Jung wrote "the transcendent function" first, then "Psychological types" later. Then he seemed to take a more holistic perspective calling out the "conscious and unconscious" rather than relying upon functions in his later work.

It was like he had unified all the underlying functional typology to be inclusive in his discussions of jungian analysis-thus no longer seemed to need to call the topic out specifically? Just a guess, I really have no idea...

Why did he leave the topic of personality types behind? Why did he not keep using it as a framework later on? Does anyone know?
    You're not wrong about Jung.

The answer you seek is in your own post, but you don't see it.
    Perhaps you don't want to see it, yet, Miss Boxy.

Hello Mr Out-of-boxy,

Is it really that simple? (It really is isnt it...? wow. almost done with boxes...need to tidy up a few more things on the main floor before I head into the basement and the attic. Then I get to go outside and play!)

On another topic, WRT to feelings is Fi or Fe more important to you as a way of judging? Fi is mine of course-it touches things. It actually perceives things in the my surroundings via a tactile sensation. I wonder does Fe do the same thing? Does it render the person under observation as unique?

Riva

So that Victor could whine about it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post

From stuff Lenore Thomson has been telling me over the past year, I get the sense that Jung never focused on type quite as much as we (following Myers-Briggs) have taken it. He aimed to be holistic all along, and then mentioned the functions of S, N, T and F (and the two orientations of them) as part of a theory on the conscious and unconscious. After all, we prefer one function or orientation, which becomes part of our "consciousness", and then the other remains in the "unconscious".
    This preference, she told me, was seen by Jung as a "wound on the psyche", and that Jung explicitly says that what he wanted to capture with his type theory was how we make choices we feel free to make, believing that one thing is better than another, and commandeer or block natural tendencies for the sake of aspiration or goal or larger purpose; not a way to characterize people by way of innate qualities. (Which is largely the influence of temperament theory, which we have mixed with it).

So she said that it seems that people who get interested in Jung because of type theory tend to read him through the lens of whatever type model they've learned about, then wind up faulting him because he didn't anticipate the model well enough, and that everything Jung ever said winds up being explained by way of type concepts, as though "Psychological Types" were the apex of his life's work. Type theory is regarded as a kind of anomaly in his work, and most analysts see no practical application for it because it's been so contaminated by pop-cultural derivatives.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Eric B, you know this Lenore Thomson? How? I've heard the name around here several times...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.