User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Why I no longer believe in MBTI

As a system of 16 behavior types it fails consistently to conclusively assign a single type to an individual. The slightest divergence from a profile will lead your halfway into another, the borders are unclear and could never be cleared up because...

there is no way to determine what each type acts like (to do so we'd need to know who is what type, circular reasoning anyone?)

As a system of 8 cognitive functions, organized along two sets of dichotomy [E&I] [T&F,S&N] which form types through preferential order, it doesn't work.

Even accepting the existence of the cognitive functions as named in MBTI, each function is so essential to cognition that the idea of preference is absurd.

No one is using any function more than anyone else, we are all necessarily using every function simultaneously at every time.

No one is more skilled in the use of a function than anyone else, functions are inherent to consciousness. Better at reasoning is not better at thinking.

A preferential ordering of functions can't describe the different personality types which exist obviously and necessarily (as much as the colour green exists) because there is no such thing as function preference.

K obviously this isn't perfectly said and I hope you guys tear me a new one

I may not believe I'm a Te dom but I still believe that I am a communal reasoner, so help me out here.
    wails from the crypt.
    Likes Zeego liked this post

Riva

Well I think you could have provided better reasons.

there is no way to determine what each type acts like
    How could any system determine how a person would act? We are now Pavlov's dogs are we?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by abra View Post
    No one is using any function more than anyone else, we are all necessarily using every function simultaneously at every time.
    This is quite hard to imagine, do you think everybody has a similar orientation? Like some people are obviously oriented toward their internal self(introvert) while other people are oriented towards the external world(extrovert) and this concept is part of most psychology.

It seems obvious to me that while many people are similar somewhat, people clearly have different patterns of cognition and behaviour. I don't know if typology/MBTI is the most accurate at discerning these patterns.

Typology is about the inner predisposition of people. If you want to have a model with predictive value you might want to check out the five factor model of personality, this model is scientific and holds up pretty well.

I've had my doubts about some of the basic axioms of typology to so you're not alone.

MBTI
    INTJ

no I don't want to predict, I'm not sure why you guys are getting that idea. I must have missed some nuance.

I'm brain dead tired.
    wails from the crypt.

Riva

^

There have been many threads on this subject before. Search for it, you'll find many. Initially MBTI experts (and believers) defended it. Now I doubt they would care.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    Well I think you could have provided better reasons.

How could any system determine how a person would act? We are now Pavlov's dogs are we?

We are all Pavlov's dogs on a larger scale
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbows View Post
    We are all Pavlov's dogs on a larger scale
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

The biggest problem with MBTI validity that I've found is that on a survey, the dichotomy distribution was not bimodal, as expected, but a single bell curve. Which would indicate that most people are not differentiated enough to even exhibit a consistent cognitive archetype.

Now, we all know the tests suck, so it's hard to consider this information conclusive one way or the other. I'll try to find these data, no idea where I read it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

That's cool, these threads crop up from time to time. The patterns are the same but worded differently. MBTI would be like a pattern recognition artifact of attitude distribution, hardly definable by volume as it would take great effort.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Most people do believe that introvert/extrovert are genetically inherited by the individual. Most of MBTI seems to pop up in reality for me. I'm willing to believe it although I don't care that the types aren't clear cut and are generally really useless.

Some people are obviously one type sometimes, and it's fun to think: 'wow, that dude is such an INTJ', but beyond that thought, there really is nothing else. I've studied S versus N though, between myself (Ne dom) and an ISTJ (Si dom), and the differences are clearly there, even out of context of MBTI. It's just that the differences don't add up to an actual personality, we both have a lot of similarities and differences besides just that of MBTI.
    5 3 9