• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why I no longer believe in MBTI

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Are people entirely conscious of their behavior?
No
Does the questionnaire require high consciousness of one's behavior?
yes

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And what is the goal of that simplification? Especially by means of a theory that is weak and applied haphazardly?

Understanding, what else? As long as it sufficiently explains the phenomenon without any contradictions, then it is useful as a theory.

Define "weak" and define "applied haphazardly".

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Understanding, what else? As long as it sufficiently explains the phenomenon without any contradictions, then it is useful as a theory.

Define "weak" and define "applied haphazardly".

Typology is a crude dissection of the psyche. That's what makes it weak. To use a weak theory to further simplify reality, is to invite inaccuracy. What is the point then?
Since it is applied to everyone, even pets, dispite it's weakness and lack of clarity, it is haphazardly applied.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Typology is a crude dissection of the psyche. That's what makes it weak. To use a weak theory to further simplify reality, is to invite inaccuracy. What is the point then?
Since it is applied to everyone, even pets, dispite it's weakness and lack of clarity, it is haphazardly applied.

You do realize that the point of my instruction was not another assumption?

Mole

Permabanned
Wikileaks is now exposing Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, the son of Gaddafi the dictator, and Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg, the Defence Minister of Germany, as plagiarists.

In the same way Wikileaks may expose Mrs Briggs and her daughter Mrs Myers as plagiarists as well.

KDude

Wikileaks is now exposing Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, the son of Gaddafi the dictator, and Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg, the Defence Minister of Germany, as plagiarists.

In the same way Wikileaks may expose Mrs Briggs and her daughter Mrs Myers as plagiarists as well.

This might be your one true "jumping the shark" moment. That's pretty good.

In Comic Sans, no less :solidarity:

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I no longer believe it's useful for anything except as a tool to understand ourselves and maybe a partner.
There is a danger in typing others, or believing you speak on behalf of the type.
MBTI invites prejudice and fanaticism. It borders on dogma and doctrine to some.
Carl Jung Himself, warned of this, and said every individual is the exception to the rule.

Jaguar

You should do stand-up comedy.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Comic sans! LMAO!

Victor wins this round.

G

garbage

So does explicitly mentioning Jung all over the preface and other portions of Gifts Differing somehow not count as citing their sources? :thinking:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Keirsey is such crap...oh wait, this why I no longer believe in MBTI. That too.

I only believe in Jungian cognitive theory. So I guess I don't believe in MBTI, for all intents and purposes.

KDude

Keirsey is such crap...oh wait, this why I no longer believe in MBTI. That too.

I only believe in Jungian cognitive theory. So I guess I don't believe in MBTI, for all intents and purposes.

I've come around to Keirsey a little bit. But I don't think he acknowledges the capacity for self-interest in NFPs. Or how long they spend searching for themselves.

Not necessarily bad self-interest. It just could be that we want to live private lives too. Maybe we have a knack for researching or living up in the hills writing books or being painters. I'm not necessarily out to live a life consoling or guiding others. I don't have all the answers. I kind of resent that he plays this up in his book, and then calls SPs hedonists. A lot of them are perfectly equipped to help people.. sometimes in the best, practical ways that others need (edit: I don't think really said much about that. It's just sort of implied).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've come around to Keirsey a little bit. But I don't think he acknowledges the capacity for self-interest in NFPs. Or how long they spend searching for themselves.

Not necessarily bad self-interest. It just could be that we want to live private lives too. Maybe we have a knack for researching or living up in the hills writing books or being painters. I'm not necessarily out to live a life consoling or guiding others. I don't have all the answers. I kind of resent that he plays this up in his book, and then calls SPs hedonists. A lot of them are perfectly equipped to help people.. sometimes in the best, practical ways that others need (edit: I don't think really said much about that. It's just sort of implied).

The problem with Keirsey is that it leads to very unrealistic stereotypes like: all SJs are religious and conservative, ISFJ women don't like sex...I've seen heinous, heinous descriptions on-line in the name of Keirsey, implying that most feminists are NFs, and that if you're turned on by arguing or intense emotion, you must be SP!

Who. types. themselves. by. this. garbage.

I could never take Keirsey standing on its own. It's completely unacceptable. It attributes too specifically beliefs and ways of being to people. It's overly simplistic.

Jungian theory is the only holistic and accurate way to type people, in my opinion.

I gave up on JCF for a while...but that's because I wasn't getting it. I was making the same mistakes I now see people making all the time (when I do this I use Ti, when I do that I use Se, etc.) ...and when it finally clicked I see its blatant superiority.

Nicodemus

It is a little late for that. He has already resigned.

Mole

Permabanned
I don't believe in MBTI simply because it starts with a lie.

And the lie is that MBTI is a personality test.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
@victoria OMG...I guess since someone supports the MBTI, then they are anti-Enlightenment, and therefore...supportive of child rapists and slavery?

And the allusion to eugenics, and therefore we are NAZI's too?

MBTI does not equal astrology.

Just because I have preferences does not mean I can't use the other functions.

However, the things describe by MBTI type theory were already well established parts of my identity before I took the test. I originally took it blind, not having any idea what it was.

In astrology you look at what star or what month, and then decide something based on that, but I've always be introverted and the other things; they were parts of my identity before I took the test. How can you possibly relate MBTI and astrology as being the same category?

And I support civil rights, criminal prosecution of child molesters, and rights for women, and it is outrageous for you to suggest that someone who supports the MBTI supports child molesters.

Edit: Also, Elfboy is right. I only stayed 14 days in the military.

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
MBTI is simplistic, to say the very least. Jung does better justice to the cognitive functions, in my books.

However, a classification is just a classification: I'll love the day where neuroscience can illuminate how people act according to how the brain works, plus some personal history of the person [the latter being very important, and unfortunately neglected in psychological studies].

Mole

Permabanned
Confidence Tricksters

How can you possibly relate MBTI and astrology as being the same category?

Easy, astrologers and MBTI mavens speak in exactly the same way - they speak with complete confidence about which they have no empirical evidence.

This is called, "a confidence trick".