User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Why are you your type?

I've often wondered why somebody is the type they are. Like, why am I an INFP? Why am I not ESTJ or ISTP?

My thoughts are:

1) Genetics: My father is INTP while my mother is INFJ. Therefore I believe it is natural that I be an INxx because both of my parents are. If I had siblings, one would probably be INTP, INFJ, INTJ, or, like myself, INFP.

2) Nurture, how you are raised I think can factor your personality type. I don't know how...but...maybe... :/

3) Choice. We simply choose to be a certain type of person because that personality is what we find attractive.

What do you guys think? Environmental, emotional or genetic factors? Or just pure coincidence?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

my parents are an INTP and ISFJ and my sis is an ENFJ, so I doubt that upbringing or family had much to do with it...

not sure why I am my personality type... I'd prefer to be an introvert to tell the truth, but I'm not
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

Wrong statistics. You've got 16/16 chance of being the type you are, not 1/16.

But I've wondered too. Probably I've got the imagination from my mother and the interest in science and technology from my father. Mix and match.

@ Whatever: what's wrong with being an extravert? I'd love to boost my extraversion to the level I'd be really at ease in company. More specific, I'd like to improve my Fe and become a better teacher
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

i have no idea. my dad is ESFJ (but maybe ESTJ) and an old military dude..my mom might be ISTJ.. my brother may be ISTP. either way, it was kind of a tough environment, and being the youngest, i would shy away. yet my dad also got me in sports early, so that may have helped develop "Se". i spent a lot of time outside actually. i kind of remained introverted in school, although i was still playful..just not very talkative. i got picked on (whether it was for my funny looking pants or being asian in white neighborhoods, i dunno) and into a lot of fights. i dont know if that made me more introverted too.

i definitely didnt "pick" this type. the other isfps here keep having to hear me grumble on how it's described (some descriptions are cool though). like, i keep trying to redefine what it means in small ways. instead of letting it define me.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

I think it's a mix of the first two; genetically, we are social animals whose brains are wired to learn and collect the various images/experiences/etc. that come at us through nurturing (i prefer to call it socialization) over the years and store it for later use. we adapt and use these learned abilities and behaviours in order to function within our smaller and greater social communities.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

nature huh? my mom said my first word was "flower".

i was destined, man

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

my personality isn't like that of my parents at all though... and I grew up on a farm far out in the country away from everyone else and STILL was an extrovert

and you WERE doomed to FPhood there!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

According to British research .. 40-60% is detrmined by genetics. and the rest by experience.

So about half my type I am born with and the rest develops.

BBC/OU Open2.net - Family & Child Development - Child of Our Time 2010

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by musicnerd93 View Post
    I've often wondered why somebody is the type they are. Like, why am I an INFP? Why am I not ESTJ or ISTP?

My thoughts are:

1) Genetics: My father is INTP while my mother is INFJ. Therefore I believe it is natural that I be an INxx because both of my parents are. If I had siblings, one would probably be INTP, INFJ, INTJ, or, like myself, INFP.
    Not to burst your bubble, but you're just an isolated instance where your type is a nifty little mix of both of your parents. You could find countless examples that wouldn't support what you're suggesting (i.e. your most likely siblings).

(One such example: My mom is ISTJ, dad is ISFJ, I am INFJ and my brother is INTP)

----------------

Anyhow, I DO believe much of personality IS in fact the result of genetics - I mean, genetics account for much/most of who we are (at least instinctually/chemically/biologically) -- but I don't think the genes are in nice little packages like 'S', 'N', 'J', 'P', etc.. or even Ni, Ne, Ti, Te. Remember, we're the ones who have created these designations/categories to label personality characteristics/trends. The genes probably have different designations or combinations, if that makes sense.

---------------

Nurture: Nurture could definitely impact our value system as well as how we cope with stress, how we perceive the world (cynically vs. optimistically), and other things such as this, and consequently nurture could impact the actions/choices we make. Nurture could definitely account for a lot of external behaviors and values; not as much the internal thought processes.

--------------

And yes, there is an element of choice as well. But, I do think we start out with a 'baseline' personality, if you will - a set of instinctual responses... preferences... and we can then choose to build upon that as we see fit.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Permabanned

My dad is an ISTJ and my mom is an ESFJ. My sister is an INFJ and my older sister is an ESTJ. I can see myself similar to my dad but he's way too uptight about things such as being on time and boring boring boring.....being the only P in my family though is frustrating at times.