• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are J's or P's more confident?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's been my impression that P's are more naturally confident. Or, maybe it's arrogance, I don't know which, but it seems to work. Of course, to me, it seems like J's are naturally more competent though but not as confident. These are just budding thoughts I have. What is your impression?

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Js worry and schedule more, which makes them appear more uptight and less naturally free and confident that they can work things out spontaneously and abruptly. Ps don't have the need to be prepared for every single little thing so they don't worry as much and as result, appear like they know what they are doing at any given moment. But that's a grand generalization.

Sometimes, I worry and schedule and my J friend is just chilling so we switch confident vibes.

gromit

likes this
Hm. I always thought of Js as confident. Like they have everything under control/less spazzy, as though they can face things better, because they have prepared... yes, this sort of calm confidence or something.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Js worry and schedule more, which makes them appear more uptight and less naturally free and confident that they can work things out spontaneously and abruptly. Ps don't have the need to be prepared for every single little thing so they don't worry as much and as result, appear like they know what they are doing at any given moment. But that's a grand generalization.

Sometimes, I worry and schedule and my J friend is just chilling so we switch confident vibes.

I think you're onto something here....

Hm. I always thought of Js as confident. Like they have everything under control/less spazzy, as though they can face things better, because they have prepared... yes, this sort of calm confidence or something.

I think of introverts are more calm, not necessarily J's. J's are less spontaneous and more decisive so they seem more under control and less spazzy. I'm not sure if they face things better though because they may take less risks and be more apprehensive.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Depends.

I've found that Js seem more confident, but that Ps tend to actually be more confident.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh: I've always envied how together that Js seem to be... don't shatter my illusions :boohoo:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think this is individual or at least it highly depends on other 3 letters as well.
Also big five's neuroticism letter probably play a important role when it comes to this.

Btw confidance =/= skill

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Schedules seem to make some Js feel more confident and competent like they have control, or at least, it makes them appear so. Conversely, scheduling can take confidence away from Ps because they equally do not feel competent, because they do not have control of the situation (but in a different way, like 'Oh my God, I have to stick to this so how can I be in control? What if I go wrong now?'

Speaking as a strong P, I am not confident, though I might appear so because once I have thought long about a subject, and once I have done good research, I can improvise quite well. I will not pretend to be learned in things I don't know a lot about, and hence only improvise on a subject I'm sure of, if I talk about it at all. I do however know some strong ExxPs who might come across as arrogant to you, because they will get involved in simply anything for 10mins and then bluff their way through later as some kind of expert, that's only a few though.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:laugh: I've always envied how together that Js seem to be... don't shatter my illusions :boohoo:

Hmm... well, with some J's I think what you actually do and how you feel won't always be in agreement so it can create false appearances. They may do things out of responsibility but not really like it.

I find that P's are more boastful, in general. I assume it's because they feel more proud of themselves.

I wonder if I'm imagining things or if there really is a difference now and if so why it exists.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My wild speculation here (it's probably better than all of yours, but still not good enough in objective terms :tongue:) is that there isn't a confidence difference of any noticable degree between Js and Ps.

I do however think there seems to be a difference in confidence between P-doms and J-doms. That if you were to combine them as a whole, EPs + IJs are more confident than EJs + IPs. P-doms more confident than J-doms.

However, I have to stop myself and ask, "confident in what?". I suppose anybody right now could leap in and find a specific kind of confidence where it works reverse of what I said.

So basically, when I say confidence, I mean confidence in one's own judgement.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm... well, with some J's I think what you actually do and how you feel won't always be in agreement so it can create false appearances. They may do things out of responsibility but not really like it.

I find that P's are more boastful, in general. I assume it's because they feel more proud of themselves.

I wonder if I'm imagining things or if there really is a difference now and if so why it exists.

I know that ExTPs are good at appearing confident when they feel like sh!t about themselves... just covering things up :blush:

Js just seem so solid somehow :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
p's are confident in their ability to improvise and j's are confident in their well devised plans...or their competence...i think.

eta: i should read before i post :blush: sorry just to regurgitate.

KDude

Maybe if the P relies on more than just their dominate function (y'know, like being holed up too much as an ISFP would do nothing for you..you need competence by exploring with Se. Same goes for INFPs who don't get out enough). Otherwise, you're going to misjudge or do something off, and look like a fool, and the more you act that way, the more your confidence would drop.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I know that ExTPs are good at appearing confident when they feel like sh!t about themselves... just covering things up :blush:
Indeed. Also:
I'm unconfident whenever I'm preparing... like preparing lessons, I feel like I'm the worst teacher ever and I would never be able to explain this / make such a boring subject interesting / react well on interruptions / keep the order...
But when I'm in class, the worries are gone and I feel like I'm the best. Would that not be typical for a P?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm not at all confidant about closure. My opinion can always change as there is always more information that could completely change everything. I have confidence in my competence though :D