User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP
    Socionics
    INFP

Default Hate to do this guys but...types and selfishness

It's interesting to note that a lot of people try their best not to be selfish, and a lot of the time for those people...it works, which is brilliant. However, I notice that every person (and I'm not sure if this could also be applied to type) has a downfall which can make them seem selfish, usually under stress, and generally accidental...
    Mine is the fact that I can be forgetful, and fairly intense, meaning I can only really give my real energy to one thing/person at a time, otherwise I feel as if I'm not doing all I could be. I will give this person or task, my all, wanting the person to be well and truly happy, or wanting the project to be perfect, to the point that other things, and people get less attention (this doesn't happen on purpose, I get deeply absorbed in whatever it is that needs doing, but it's still selfish and therefore must be eradicated)
    I won't go into the natures of the people around me because that is unfair, but are certain types prone to certain types of selfishness, even accidentally?

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

One form of selfishness inheres in the constant expectation that others should meet your own needs, without stopping to enquire or caring whether they may have needs of their own to attend to. Or if there is anything they can do for the other, rather than just expecting it for themselves. This may not be a type specific one, but is a good example of psychological projection, as it's very common for such people to accuse the person who is not there when THEY want them of being selfish...
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

every type is pretty selfish in their own special way
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    every type is pretty selfish in their own special way

some are more "special" then others though
    Im out, its been fun

I think I'm generous with gifts or material matters, my ear/listening... not so good with my time - especially if you want me to work or something... I'm not here to serve anyone.

On the flipside, I think the people expecting that are more selfish than I am. Like, I had this neighbor once who would often try to get me to help doing things around his house. And he wouldn't even ask really.. he was an older guy and foreign, so he'd just be a little bossy "Come!" :confused: Seriously? Also, I have friends who I can tell hold it against me if I don't paint their house with them for a few hours like everyone else. Who's being the selfish one?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

*wonders how many people are going to pick ESTP*

I can be selfish with my ME a lot of times- there's parts of me that I don't readily share with very many people at all... I'm also stingy with things like hugs and never know the right words to say to console someone

However, I'm not stingy with my time, money or friendship... I tend to be described as generous to a fault by people IRL
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

No type is generally more selfish than another. You can find the Scrooge in pretty much any type if you bothered to look. Plus everyone is selfish in their own way. One person may want money and fame to themselves, while another more people that care about them.