• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Children don't need MBTI.

skin

MBTI Type
INFP
Why do adults have the need to compartmentalize every concept into something intellectually understandable?

As an example you can throw around a word like communism, and the underlying theories, yet ask any citizen of a communist country and they know what it entails with a lot more clarity than your average educated economist.

Not being able to verbalize an idea, don't exclude the understanding of it

Most healthy children who interact with others know who the ESTP or the INFJ is in the flock, intuitively.
Does the popularity of MBTI and other similar systems stem from the fact that adults distrust their intuitive instincts and try to apply 'logical and rational' systems wherever possible?
Does the popularity of MBTI and other similar systems stem from the fact that adults fear nothing more than chaos and the uncontrollable?

A system like MBTI strips away the direct and transcendental character of a personality type, and place it into an easy computable and understandable, yet faulty idea, for rational, western adult consumption.

Which brings me back to the thought that personality types simply transcend for children. And healthy adults.

Mole

Permabanned
Why do adults have the need to compartmentalize every concept into something intellectually understandable?

As an example you can throw around a word like communism, and the underlying theories, yet ask any citizen of a communist country and they know what it entails with a lot more clarity than your average educated economist.

Not being able to verbalize an idea, don't exclude the understanding of it

Most healthy children who interact with others know who the ESTP or the INFJ is in the flock, intuitively.
Does the popularity of MBTI and other similar systems stem from the fact that adults distrust their intuitive instincts and try to apply 'logical and rational' systems wherever possible?
Does the popularity of MBTI and other similar systems stem from the fact that adults fear nothing more than chaos and the uncontrollable?

A system like MBTI strips away the direct and transcendental character of a personality type, and place it into an easy computable and understandable, yet faulty idea, for rational, western adult consumption.

Which brings me back to the thought that personality types simply transcend for children. And healthy adults.

Quite so.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I see MBTI has a means to communicate; a vocabulary.

Jaguar

My intuition is the only thing I have trusted since I was a little kid.
MBTI - logical and rational? The hell you say. ;)

skin

MBTI Type
INFP
My intuition is the only thing I have trusted since I was a little kid.
MBTI - logical and rational? The hell you say. ;)

MBTI isn't. But the processes which lead to its existance is.

You probably fit the last sentence of my OP though.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Children do not need MBTI for children are not MBTI, neither are they adults. The enlightenment gave us children, and from those children of the enlightenment, an adult arose and was named Carl Jung.

Jung became a child no longer, and from his womb came analytical psychology and alcoholics anonymous, and well-writ fancy words about this or that.

So, from the womb of a no-child that was once-child, came the ability to regain ones life and to loose ones child-hood-oncewas.

But this is a story for another imagine-nation.

And it will be writ. By the children and for the children.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I thinking forcing MBTI on children is child abuse, actually. They don't yet have the maturity to discern that these labels aren't "who they are" and may feel compelled to live up to these labels to impress adults.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i didn't find out about the MBTI until i was 30.
i hope to god that it is the same for my kids.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Children do not need MBTI for children are not MBTI, neither are they adults. The enlightenment gave us children, and from those children of the enlightenment, an adult arose and was named Carl Jung.

Jung became a child no longer, and from his womb came analytical psychology and alcoholics anonymous, and well-writ fancy words about this or that.

So, from the womb of a no-child that was once-child, came the ability to regain ones life and to loose ones child-hood-oncewas.

But this is a story for another imagine-nation.

And it will be writ. By the children and for the children.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with this. Adults take care of children for a reason, not the other way around. While I agree that there are definitely many things we as adults can learn from children and that it's wrong to stifle their natural creativity too much, adults have a more complex brain that children do. The adult brain even differs from an adolescent brain, (which is the primary reason that I think that adults having sex with teenagers is completely unacceptable). We formulate these concepts so that we can discuss them with greater clarity and hopefully greater tolerance of people's differences. Also, I'd like to add the English language is actually quite simplistic compared to some other world languages, so to dumb it down even further seems quite unnecessary. Language is constantly evolving (otherwise it's dead, like Latin) and there's nothing wrong with adding "jargon" to it.

G

Ginkgo

I thinking forcing MBTI on children is child abuse, actually. They don't yet have the maturity to discern that these labels aren't "who they are" and may feel compelled to live up to these labels to impress adults.

Since children are protected from physical abuse by lawful mandate, we must deploy psychological warfare. Have you seen these little fuckers?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcqOgnQyXp4"]Damn[/YOUTUBE]

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with this. Adults take care of children for a reason, not the other way around. While I agree that there are definitely many things we as adults can learn from children and that it's wrong to stifle their natural creativity too much, adults have a more complex brain that children do. The adult brain even differs from an adolescent brain, (which is the primary reason that I think that adults having sex with teenagers is completely unacceptable). We formulate these concepts so that we can discuss them with greater clarity and hopefully greater tolerance of people's differences. Also, I'd like to add the English language is actually quite simplistic compared to some other world languages, so to dumb it down even further seems quite unnecessary. Language is constantly evolving (otherwise it's dead, like Latin) and there's nothing wrong with adding "jargon" to it.

I wasn't being serious. My post was sarcasm, through and through.

I think it's good to analyze and categorize things - especially the human body.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I wasn't being serious. My post was sarcasm, through and through.

I think it's good to analyze and categorize things - especially the human body.

Oops! I should have noted that you're INTJ and not INFP. ;)

Mole

Permabanned
...from those children of the enlightenment, an adult arose and was named Carl Jung.

Even in his own words, Carl was not a man of the Enlightenment. He, himself, says his work, "Personality Types", was not based on evidence and reason but he received inspiration from a 'guide'.

Carl was an ardent follower of the Führer. And Führer in German means 'guide'.