User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 55

  1. #21
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Since children are protected from physical abuse by lawful mandate, we must deploy psychological warfare. Have you seen these little fuckers?

    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcqOgnQyXp4"]Damn[/YOUTUBE]
    Wait, what? You can't even spank your kids anymore? What's this all about at the end there, her saying she'd go to jail for "whipping his behind?" That's not physical abuse.

    I think that child needs a little less self-esteem. I remember watching this horrific set of statistics in a trailer for a documentary on American education the other day, and we fall far far behind all other developed countries in every area...except for being excessively high in "self-esteem."

  2. #22
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    I do not have a God Complex...

    I am God.
    Quick. The fella is quick.

  3. #23
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Adults take care of children for a reason, not the other way around.
    Yes, the hallmark of the child abuser is that they expect the child to meet the emotional needs of an adult.

    When, as you say, it is right and proper for the adult to take care of the emotional needs of the child.

    So child abuse is a perversion of the nourishing parent/child relationship.

  4. #24
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Wait, what? You can't even spank your kids anymore? What's this all about at the end there, her saying she'd go to jail for "whipping his behind?" That's not physical abuse.

    I think that child needs a little less self-esteem. I remember watching this horrific set of statistics in a trailer for a documentary on American education the other day, and we fall far far behind all other developed countries in every area...except for being excessively high in "self-esteem."
    No no, we need to use typology. That will surely set him straight. What would you say? ESTP?

  5. #25
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Heh. Why did you think I was an INFP?
    If your post had been serious it would have kind of an INFP vibe to it.

  6. #26
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    ...we fall far far behind all other developed countries in every area...except for being excessively high in "self-esteem."
    Yes, if you are practising every second day for ten thousand hours in order to improve, then you give yourself self-respect as you slowly improve.

    But, oddly enough, self-esteem is bestowed by others rather than earned by oneself.

    And self-esteem is perfect for manipulating consumers - "After all, you deserve it", they tell us in their advertisements.

  7. #27
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Children don't use MBTI.

    Children are also known for being one of nature's cruelest creatures.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  8. #28
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Children don't use MBTI.

    Children are also known for being one of nature's cruelest creatures.
    They're also relatively short.

    Coincidence? I don't think so.

  9. #29
    Senior Member LunarMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3
    Socionics
    ENTJ
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skin View Post
    As an example you can throw around a word like communism, and the underlying theories, yet ask any citizen of a communist country and they know what it entails with a lot more clarity than your average educated economist.
    Which communist state are we referring to? I would not hesitate to say that your average educated economist knows a bit more about communism than a citizen from North Korea, who has been saturated with communist propaganda from birth with little else to refer to. The problem with populism and ‘folk wisdom’ is that time and time again it proves to be wrong.
    Does the popularity of MBTI and other similar systems stem from the fact that adults distrust their intuitive instincts and try to apply 'logical and rational' systems wherever possible?
    Although MBTI itself has several problems I, overall, would not begrudge the use of logic to extrapolate points about the world around us, within every concept if we must take it to the extreme. It is the most beneficial spoil of the Enlightenment and is the reason why little Timmy can receive medicine for his cough instead of allowing nature to take its course, while chalking it up to the gods simultaneously. So, yes, I do believe that adults should apply ‘logical and rational’ systems wherever possible, as we have the entire modern world to thank for that mindset.
    A system like MBTI strips away the direct and transcendental character of a personality type, and place it into an easy computable and understandable, yet faulty idea, for rational, western adult consumption.
    Again, I won’t argue with the faults of the MBTI but I do believe that certain personality systems such as the Big Five do offer several things of value, irrespective of the need for unnecessary order found in adults.
    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with this. Adults take care of children for a reason, not the other way around.
    Yes, adults take care of children because they sprout from their loins and have legal custody over them. Not because adults are inherently wiser simply for being adults; the rather troubling statistics for child molestation and murder would beg to differ on that.
    While I agree that there are definitely many things we as adults can learn from children and that it's wrong to stifle their natural creativity too much, adults have a more complex brain that children do.
    How so and does neurological complexity really presume better judgment?
    The adult brain even differs from an adolescent brain
    By very little and not by any practical means for what’s being discussed; the majority of personality attributes and tastes are developed by early adolescence. Marketers know this. A teenager who is reckless and impulsive is likely to become an adult who is reckless and impulsive. Your average honor student who attends to his grades and maintains a position of responsibility within school clubs has far better judgment than the average adult who buys lottery tickets and rejoices in getting ‘plastered’, and will likely remain as such.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

  10. #30
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    i probably got my ass beat with the best of them.

    and worse.

    my self esteem is such though that i still try to stand up for myself...not because anyone pampered me..but because i'm simply not going to take too much shit. it's not complicated.

    and for the record, assbeatings sucked. i have a hard time looking at kids that way (granted i don't have any of my own, but still).

Similar Threads

  1. Deafies to Hearies: "We don't need no stinking implants!!!!"
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-01-2012, 06:02 PM
  2. You don't need religion to have morals
    By prplchknz in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 05:25 AM
  3. I STILL don't understand MBTI.
    By Athenian200 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 01:56 PM
  4. I don't need to
    By Nadir in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-19-2007, 07:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO