• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you revert to your opposite type under stress?

Camelopardalis

MBTI Type
INTJ
There was this site called teamtechnology.co.uk, which suggested that INTJ's, under extreme stress, acted like ESFP's, or that any personality type reverted back to their shadow type. This is an interesting theory, which (as far as I can tell) has not been presented in such explicit terms on any other website I've seen (some websites have implied the exhibition of an 'opposite' personality under stress, such as personalitypage.com, but not explicitly). I can't really tell whether this is a fair call or not. I know I probably shouldn't use myself as an example (I've done so way too many times, but I'm not really sure how else to get across my confusion about this theory), but here is what I am prone to do when under 'extreme stress':

- Have suicidal thoughts (more often)
- Verbally abuse and threaten people
- Create an emotionally volatile atmosphere
- Actively avoid or defy authority
- Take my anger out on friends
- I may throw objects around the place
- I may disrupt certain gatherings (i.e - I once disrupted a party in a classroom)
- My appetite is diminished
- I lose my rationality completely (or get upset over nothing)
- I become confused as to why bad things are happening to me
- I don't care about the consequences of my actions until after I've left the 'extreme stress' phase
- I get people asking me in a worried tone: "Are you all right?"
- I become more negative and cynical than usual
- I begin believing that nobody cares about me
- I become very impulsive

I did consider putting this in the 'What's my Type?' section, but I felt that wasn't really appropriate, since I am using myself - under extreme stress - as anecdotal evidence, in order to prove or disprove this 'shadow stress' theory, as I will term it. (I know that this all sounds vague, but I've got no better way to express my curiosity :doh: ). Besides, I am dealing with shadow types, as opposed to real types. Also, I feel that I would be hogging that section if I did.

I don't become an 'E'. In fact, I become more of an I than usual. I may become an 'F' though. I usually rant or yell out exactly how I'm feeling. I keep my temper in check and vent by writing. And yes, if I'm depressed, I will cry, however, a few will know. I don't take it out on my friends, because my moments of stress are very private and there are usually no one around.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I don't become an 'E'. In fact, I become more of an I than usual. I may become an 'F' though. I usually rant or yell out exactly how I'm feeling. I keep my temper in check and vent by writing. And yes, if I'm depressed, I will cry, however, a few will know. I don't take it out on my friends, because my moments of stress are very private and there are usually no one around.
This is my argument exactly we do not go from being introverted to extravert as Quenck or some would claim. Taking Beebe's secession for INTJ for example (Ni, Te, Fi, Se, Ne, Ti, Fe, Si), an INTJ could do a slow melt-down where they start using their Fi instead of Ni (next introverted function) and their Se instead of Te (next extraverted function) and may take on the appearance of ISFP. If there are extraverts that the INTJ would resemble from an unhealthy point, it could be ENTJ, ESFP, ENTP, etc.

On the otherhand with Lenore Thomson's theory, the functions would be Ni,Te,Si,Fe,Ti,Ne,Fi,Se so the INTJ could have a slow melt-down to resemble, INFJ, ISFJ, etc. or an unhealthy ESTJ or any combination. However, I argue that we have a natural tendency toward introverted or extraverted attitudes, thus will resemble one of our own before going to one of the others. I could be way off base which is the reason that many confuse us as extraverts and vice-versa.

misha vainberg

I have no idea if I become more like a certain type when I stress out, but this is how I am when I get stressed:

I become incredibly analytical, and get 'stuck' in my brain, trying to 'fix' what is making me stressed, which usually entails me trying to 'fix' something I think I'm doing wrong, because I tend to think it's always my fault and only later will realize the other person might have played a role too. I become *really* judgmental, and see the negatives in everyone and everything, and nearly everything about people irritates me. I'm aware that I'm this way, and I then withdraw and don't talk as much to people, and tend to avoid conversation and stick to myself...mostly because I don't want to talk to anyone. I become antisocial.

this is exactly what happens to me in the early-moderate stages of stress, and if i allow myself to remain antisocial it just becomes a vicious cycle. I am more aware of the removal of myself socially, and become Fe starved i suppose. The longer I remain in this state the more I worry about hurting my relationships, but it becomes harder to reach out to people because of my perceived shortcomings.

At the same time I do have a tendency to indulge in impulsive (physical) activity, eating bowl after bowl of rescees puffs/ordering huge amounts of takeout, masturbating as a guilty diversion, etc.

so overall when I'm stressed my Ti and Se are much more prevalent in my behavior than at less stressful times, and my Fe functions in a more immature, needy way.

Usually what works for me is to engage myself in some stimulating Fe or Ne/Ni activity, like having deep, intimate, playful and just generally enjoyable time spent with close friends, or having an intellectually stimulating day of class (I study environmental design/planning, and the design studios really engage my Ni and break me out of this kind of funk.) I often leave these kinds of situations feeling as if my world perception has been elevated, some part of my future direction crystallizes in my mind or I have a major revelation about someone I really care about. :happy0065: I need some time after this sort of thing to recharge and reflect, but I enter an almost meditative state and feel very refreshed.

Going to a party and socializing actively can help too, but usually is not enough on its own. I need some other sort of grounding activity or I may start to become overly critical of myself and see all kinds of social fuck-ups that i made, just generally over-anaylizing my behavior and starting the cycle all over again....