User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

No...I don't think I become ISFP...in fact I think I get more like the stereotype of "ENTJ" because I tend to become more volatile and get angry more easily and get annoyed at small things. I'm not really nice to be around when stressed, so I try hard to avoid getting to that point.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, theoretically I should act out Se under stress... does this fit?

- Drinks several sodas more than normal and eats too many snacks.

- Becomes too unmotivated to get out of bed, and spends the whole day watching television and feeling sorry for themselves.

- Stomps foot.

- Screams/yells.

- Breaks a pencil in half.

- Insults own reflection.

I have to admit that this is why I didn't like xSTP's at first... I thought they acted this way most all the time, and could only be motivated to act decently under extreme stress every few years.

The only positive thing in my case is that unlike other types that can stay in their shadow for a few days/hours... I usually run out of energy and come to my senses before mine can cause as much damage. I've seen other types stay in their shadows long enough to seriously sabotage themselves.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I have no idea if I become more like a certain type when I stress out, but this is how I am when I get stressed:

I become incredibly analytical, and get 'stuck' in my brain, trying to 'fix' what is making me stressed, which usually entails me trying to 'fix' something I think I'm doing wrong, because I tend to think it's always my fault and only later will realize the other person might have played a role too. I become *really* judgmental, and see the negatives in everyone and everything, and nearly everything about people irritates me. I'm aware that I'm this way, and I then withdraw and don't talk as much to people, and tend to avoid conversation and stick to myself...mostly because I don't want to talk to anyone. I become antisocial. I also beat myself up about all of this, which exacerbates the stress. At home, I'll latch onto details and might nag more than usual, because I'm irritable and I don't like the cat litter flecks on the entry hall carpet. And I'm annoyed that I'm being so petty, which further stresses me out. By this point I can't stand being in my brain, so I then try to divert myself by forcing myself out to a gym or something, or I watch tv, or I try to distract myself by playing a game or something. Temporary fix. I'm also feeling physically ill by this point, and just want to lie down, so forcing myself out and about takes a lot of willpower, because I don't feel well and have a tension headache. ;-) Eventually it works itself out -- I usually end up exhausting myself mentally/emotionally, and after sleeping poorly for several nights (if I'm really worked up about something, that is! Otherwise I might calm myself down in a day or so), my body will be exhausted, whereupon my mind will shut off, I'll stop doing the analytical stuff, and it'll be over.

The end.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I have no idea if I become more like a certain type when I stress out, but this is how I am when I get stressed:

I become incredibly analytical, and get 'stuck' in my brain. I become *really* judgmental, and see the negatives in everyone and everything, and nearly everything about people irritates me. I'm aware that I'm this way, and I then withdraw and don't talk as much to people, and tend to avoid conversation and stick to myself...mostly because I don't want to talk to anyone. I become antisocial. I also beat myself up about all of this, which exacerbates the stress. At home, I'll latch onto details and might nag more than usual, because I'm irritable and I don't like the cat litter flecks on the entry hall carpet. And I'm annoyed that I'm being so petty, which further stresses me out. By this point I can't stand being in my brain, so I then try to divert myself by forcing myself out to a gym or something, or I watch tv, or I try to distract myself by playing a game or something. Temporary fix. I'm also feeling physically ill by this point, and just want to lie down, so forcing myself out and about takes a lot of willpower, because I don't feel well and have a tension headache. ;-) Eventually it works itself out -- I usually end up exhausting myself mentally/emotionally, and after sleeping poorly for several nights, my body will be exhausted, whereupon my mind will shut off, I'll stop doing the analytical stuff, and it'll be over.

The end.
    I relate to that part... but that's more like normal stress than extreme stress for me. I don't usually do anything to distract myself except just try to calm down and meditate, which usually does the trick for me eventually.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Well, I'm not really sure I've ever been under 'extreme' stress, although perhaps what I described would be extreme stress as far as my emotional state goes.

Since I know I stress out pretty easily, to a certain extent I tailor my life so as to keep things as stress-free as possible. I suppose I tend to do the preventative thing...so as to keep myself from ever getting into major stressout mode.

Edit: yeah, after thinking a bit, I did describe the cycle of my major stressout session. If it's just moderate stress, it would dissipate within the same day, and I'd get it under control. It's major stress that blows up and goes over several days.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Do any other NFJs get irritated by commercials when your fuse is short? I walked by the tv and this ad was on for Lowes or Home Depot for something, and this guy is shopping for his wife in there. He's clueless and apparently shopping for HIMSELF.

I was walking by, saw it and thought acidly: "You should be weeded out of the gene pool, you f-ing selfish numbnuts, so your wife can remarry within her species."

This is what I mean by "block of ice". But that's me at apogee from myself. I turn into Captain Tupolev from "The Hunt for Red October".

I love people and try hard to recenter and get back to it as quickly as I can!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I certainly don't turn into an ENFJ when stressed, even extremely so, so I've never held much stock in the "shadow theory".

If anything I turn into an IxFP, ruled by Fi. I will be outwardly cold but furious and emotional inside, and unable to focus on anything but that emotion.
    Mega dittos.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I think my type morphing depends on how long I'm coping with stress. I notice that I dig into Fe, then get really nitpicky and critical (Ti) and then back to an extreme version of Fe ("You should do this," "this must be done," "I have to decide on this now") Basically I give myself and others a lot of imperatives that have to happen quickly and I isolate myself from people but that doesn't happen for very long. Thankfully, I have a good bunch of people around me that know how to snap my ass back in check when I get out of hand.

I found some interesting information on types under stress a few weeks ago.

That's an interesting theory, and makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I was walking by, saw it and thought acidly: "You should be weeded out of the gene pool, you f-ing selfish numbnuts, so your wife can remarry within her species."

This is what I mean by "block of ice". But that's me at apogee from myself. I turn into Captain Tupolev from "The Hunt for Red October".
    hehe...well, that's pretty much what I meant when I said I get *really* judgmental. :-) But you put it much more colorfully!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Do any other NFJs get irritated by commercials when your fuse is short? I walked by the tv and this ad was on for Lowes or Home Depot for something, and this guy is shopping for his wife in there. He's clueless and apparently shopping for HIMSELF.

I love people and try hard to recenter and get back to it as quickly as I can!
    Usually not quite like that as much any more (although it used to be)... these days it seems to manifest more like a sarcastic, "Well, yeah, that makes a lot of sense." Sometimes it's also a condescending, "Come on, that's basic knowledge. How can you possibly not know that?" It can also be, "I don't have the time to listen to your irrelevant ravings." So my bad mood towards my television (and sometimes other people), has less of an edge, but it's more condescending and dismissive.

I don't really like to say things like that to people either, and I usually feel badly about it.